UKC

Front Panniers, do you use them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 15 May 2022

We have done a few trips now, nothing long, but we can get all our stuff, including camping stuff into 2 rear panniers each, and a tent strapped on rear rack. We are off on a 2 week trip in a few weeks, and it is worrying me that all these bike tourers seem to have 4 panniers.
Am I doing something wrong.
Do other people manage with just two panniers?

DaveHK 15 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I've done tours up to 4 weeks with just rear panniers. Using front ones too gives better weight distribution but if you haven't noticed that as an issue then it clearly isn't an issue!

Le Sapeur 15 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I've done a lot of long distance cycle touring including the length of South America and have never carried enough stuff to warrant them. 

Doug 15 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Never used front paniers but often used a handlebar bag in conjunction with rear paniers on tours of up to 3 weeks with camping gear.  Handlebar bag was easy to remove & use as a bag when not on the bike, & it was a good place to store valuables, camera, little bit of easily accessible food, map, etc. Might have helped with the weight distribution a little as well

mike123 15 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

as above , lots of short  tours of a week or so and several of  longer, with full camping gear and not used them. i bought some ortlieb ones in a sale and used them once, i didn't like the feel of  the bike with them on . you could have had them but i made the same offer a few years ago but couldnt find them , i suspect i "lent" them out  and wasnt over fussed that they never came back.

OP Godwin 16 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Thanks all. I was just going to buy some Front Panniers, as I thought I was missing something. We shall keep on as we are for a little longer.
As we travel in Summer, so lighter sleeping bags and less clothing and do not carry Laptops and the like, possibly that helps. 

James FR 16 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

If you don't need the extra capacity then don't buy any, it all depends on what feels right for you. With my bike, I actually prefer the way it handles with 4 panniers, and for me it makes it easier to pack things, and find them again - once you get a system in place for what goes where.

My rear panniers aren't huge and I don't like having too much weight on top of the rack, so there is also no way I'd be able to get away with just rear panniers.

Rog Wilko 16 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

Hi Steve

in those far off days when I did cycle touring I had front panniers only. They were Carradice (was good old Lancs private company then) iirc, and really very small. They affected the handling but less, I thought, than do rear panniers. Very soon got used to them, though never risked taking both hands off!
My rule was if it won’t fit in those panniers it doesn’t come. Personal hygiene issues  weren’t to the fore, then.

BTW, the front rack you wanted is still behind our side gate. Though I bumped in to Adam a few weeks back, he’s not collected them. He seemed to wonder why you weren’t collecting them yourself! It sounds as if you don’t want them, but let me know. If anyone else following this thread wants them, just say.

OP Godwin 16 May 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Hi Rog,

Adam has told me has collected them? He lives within a km of you and the chances are we will be meeting up to climb, I shall have stern words with him.

Only front Panniers, blimey, that is Hardcore, makes my two rear ones seem profligate.

What ever happens vis a vis the racks, thank you.

At the Jubilee we will be cycling to Langdale right past you, on a shake down tour for our European trip. Doubt you will be about, but when passing I will bob in and see you both. Hide behind the Sofa, or a quick clear off, is fine if inconvenient.

onlyhalfwayup 16 May 2022
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Likewise I spent 3 months touring Europe with only front panniers and a carradice saddlebag, never felt the need for any more space. Wild camping every night too.

Rog Wilko 16 May 2022
In reply to onlyhalfwayup:

> Likewise I spent 3 months touring Europe with only front panniers and a carradice saddlebag, never felt the need for any more space. Wild camping every night too.

Well done. Reminded me that I neglected to say I was hostelling, not camping! Sorry Steve, accidentally misled you.

Rog Wilko 16 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

> Hi Rog,

> Adam has told me has collected them? He lives within a km of you and the chances are we will be meeting up to climb, I shall have stern words with him.

I’ve just checked and they have indeed been collected! Must have been very recently, as  I saw them only the other day.

please do call in, haven’t seen you for yonks. There may be tea and cake on the lawn.

Post edited at 11:52
 OwenM 16 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

I have a set of four panniers, the two small ones are ideal for a weekend/short trip with the tent on top of the rack. Not used the two large ones yet but as their 25lts each they should carry loads of food if I ever get around to doing a long trip to somewhere really remote.

DaveHK 16 May 2022
In reply to James FR:

> . With my bike, I actually prefer the way it handles with 4 panniers,

I used 4 panniers for a tour in the Pyrenees and the handling difference was amazing. It wasn't bad before but with the front panniers the bike went round corners like it was on rails and I had tremendous fun hoofing it past roadies descending the famous passes like the Tourmalet!

Jim Lancs 16 May 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

I always use four panniers as has been said, it improves the bike handling beyond words. The steering is much steadier and the whole bike feels more 'planted'. It also means I don't need to use the top of the rear rack for anything except the tent poles inside a sleeping mat roll. That combined with having enough space to really reduce the load in the handlebar bag (which when loaded really does adversely affect handling), contributes to the bike's impeccable handling.

Panniers that are not too full are also easier to live with. Packing isn't such a chore and there's room to add more supplies when loading up at the supermarket for several days. The front ones probably have nothing more than the lunch, brew kit and my waterproof and jumper that could be on and off at times through out the day.

OP Godwin 16 May 2022
In reply to Jim Lancs:

>

>  The front ones probably have nothing more than the lunch, brew kit and my waterproof and jumper that could be on and off at times through out the day.

That is an interesting comment. I am being advised to put the heavier stuff in the front panniers to keep the weight to the front.

I have now ordered two front ones and will see how it goes.

How do you pack your tent, I have been strapping mine to the rear rack, but have been advised this may take the weight higher than ideal. Its not heavy, its a Hilleberg Tunnel Nallo and weighs 2.3kg. Bloody hell, they cost £930 now, thats more than a camper van, well not quite.

magma 25 May 2022
In reply to Godwin:

i like this setup- front panniers with bikepacking gear..

youtube.com/watch?v=Mmdxs_0yYwc&

can anyone recommend an affordable low rider front rack suitable for 90s dawes galaxy?

Post edited at 16:58
 65 25 May 2022
In reply to DaveHK:

> I used 4 panniers for a tour in the Pyrenees and the handling difference was amazing. It wasn't bad before but with the front panniers the bike went round corners like it was on rails and I had tremendous fun hoofing it past roadies descending the famous passes like the Tourmalet!

Likewise. We did a 18 day tour round the central Pyrenees with tent etc, 4 panniers each. It was mellow and slow on the ups. The Tourmalet was in that kind of rain only the Pyrenees seems to be able to produce but the Aubisque was sunny, dry and insanely fast down to Laruns. I think it was then I decided that discs were a good idea on a touring bike. I had Vs and they were only just powerful enough.

OP: The first tours I did were with a huge saddlebag and lowriders on the front. I've tried just rear panniers but didn't like the way the bike handled. If I'm comfy camping I like having 4 panniers + a handlebar bag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...