UKC

Gear upshift issue

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 28 Mar 2020

I'm having issues with my gear selector shifting up. Click once, nothing happens. Click again, jumps up 2. So if for example I wanted to upshift 4 to 5, I have to double click the upshift twice and then shift back down from 6 to 5.

Gears are 7 speed Shimano. Downshift works perfectly. 

Is there a fix that is simple enough for a simple cyclist like myself?

In reply to Removed User:

Assuming it isn't electric shifting, then probably the cable tension needs adjusting.

It may be a touch slack. .

kevin stephens 28 Mar 2020

Change gear so that the chain is on the smallest cog. The shifter cable where it attaches to the derailleur should be snug and not slack. If there is slack then tighten it using the adjuster on the cable ( if there is one) or slackening the attachment nut , use pliers to pull the cable tight and re-tighten the nut

GraB 28 Mar 2020

As well as cable tension, it could also be the hanger alignment. Is the derailleur hanging vertically when you look along the chain line from the back of the bike? Even if it looks aligned, the shifting, particularly on the larger sprockets, can be significantly affected. 

I've just bought an alignment tool and have all the bikes in the shed now shifting really sweetly. I was slightly sceptical that it would make much difference, but I'm now a convert.

Its also worth changing the cable inner and ideally both the inner AND outer. At the very least run some lube down the outer. 

Post edited at 09:44
 Baz P 28 Mar 2020

If the chain is slightly off centre on the smallest cog this will multiply each time it changes up a cog eventually it will bypass a cog altogether. 
Put the chain on the smallest cog and put more tension on the barrel adjuster until you can hear the chain starting to catch on the next cog, then back the adjuster off half / one turn. Plenty of YouTube vids on this. 
As Graham says this could also be the rear mech not being vertical. Be careful not to snap the hanger ( the bit connecting it to the frame) though if trying to bend this as it’s designed to snap. I’ve had both problems quite a few times as I’m always falling off.

GerM 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Removed Usermick.

How old is the bike/cables/derailleur? Sounds like stiff(rusted) cables to me. I'd start with those. Replace if possible, or if you want to be frugal, get at the bits that run inside the outers (by undoing them at the derailleur end and fiddling the outers out of the way). Rub down the bits of the inner that run inside the outers lightly with some wire wool, oil liberally before putting things back in place. Don't pull the inner cable out of the outer bit if they are in anything less than perfect condition, you may well never be able to get them back in without damaging them further. Might not be the solution, but probably will improve things.

Another thing that might be an issue is the derailleur itself. If that is the case releasing from the cable, spraying liberally with gt85 or similar and working vigorously back and forth to each end of the movement to free it up a little might help. But if this is the issue it's probably the springs weakening over time (always leave in low at front and high at back to leave springs relaxed to look after your derailleurs), in which case replacement of the derailleur is the way forward.

nniff 30 Mar 2020

If everything looks to be in alignment, the chances are that the chain is worn and should be replaced. If it runs happily when it's in each gear and the derailleur is not off to one side in any one of them, then it's probably the chain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...