UKC

Getting to the start and finish of routes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
J1234 04 Jun 2021

In the CTC mag this month there is a suggested route Newbiggin to Sunderland point, and kind of follows the Lune which sounds great. Its a journey source to sea, generally down hill, and just seems a nice idea.

We like the trains, but they would take 3 or 4 hours and cost £55 ish.

We could take two cars and have one at each end, but that defeats the trying to be a bit more eco friendly I am trying to do.

Just having a bit of a moan really, thanks for listening.

elliot.baker 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

bloody nature of three dimensional space tut. need some 4d wormhole action to make point-to-point routes easier. 😂

If it makes you feel better I paid £40 in the end for a 15 min taxi from Tryfan to Pen-y-Pas the other day for a point to point route, but the first quote was £65.

J1234 04 Jun 2021
In reply to elliot.baker:

I did wonder. Fair play though, I bet the driver had to get up at 4am and come from Bethesda or some where, but I do feel your pain. Did you give a tip?

Your wormhole is an excellent idea.

elliot.baker 04 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

I didn't but I feel wracked with guilt now! I'll definitely use them again though was great service.

I thought it was a fair price even including the time of day, you'd only need one or two more jobs like that and you could call it a day.

Just for future reference I’m curious which taxi firm ended up being the winning quote?

If it was the weekend then there's a bus service which would have cost you £3 return 🤷‍♂️

Jimbo C 06 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

Getting trains definitely has some issues but overall could be quicker than the car logistics and definitely better for the environment. I'm still amazed that me and a mate managed to do the C2C (Whitehaven - Sunderland) in a weekend, what with our bike reservations being ignored and cancelled trains etc. Certainly made it an adventure. 

elliot.baker 06 Jun 2021
In reply to Stuart Williams:

Taxi Arfon 

https://snowdonia-taxiarfon.co.uk/

can’t recommend highly enough super professional service, said he’d do Welsh 3000s and stuff like that as well. 

Thanks, that’s good to know 

lpretro1 10 Jun 2021
In reply to J1234:

You'll also have to look at the tide timetable for Sunderland Point - road is covered by water at every high tide! if you get it wrong you could be there a while...the Lune Bore is cracking to see though

Lankyman 10 Jun 2021
In reply to lpretro1:

> You'll also have to look at the tide timetable for Sunderland Point - road is covered by water at every high tide! if you get it wrong you could be there a while...the Lune Bore is cracking to see though

Not too great a problem on a bike as you could use the BW on the west side of the point if the road was under water. That will get you towards Heysham.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...