UKC

Giant Defy Advanced 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hillseeker 20 Oct 2017
I’m strongly consider purchasing one of these. It’s the model number 3 with Tiagra group set and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. Looks mint in white and black with red detailing.
 gethin_allen 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:
I bought a tcr 3 a while back and the only real issue has been the wheels and tyres. The hubs are good but the build is generally rubbish resulting in a flexy clicky wheelset that I couldn't live with. The tyres roll well but were very prone to punctures. I'd have a look at canyon, Boardman and decathlon bikes, the latter make some very well regarded and excellent value bikes.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html
Ultegra for £1100!
Post edited at 11:55
OP Hillseeker 20 Oct 2017
In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks for the info. Could the wheels be fixed with a tune up at the bike shop? That decathlon machine looks interesting- will have to do some research...
 GrahamD 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

My Brother in Law has one and he loves his. I guess it depends on how you find it to ride and how you want to buy (whether you want to support your local shop, pay a bit of a premium but hopefully get decent after sales service).
 Dark-Cloud 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

I am a Giant fan and have ridden them for years, good bikes, never had an issue and warranty is excellent, generally you cant go wrong

In reference to the point above, all manufacturers keep cost down by using cheaper wheels and tyres regardless if they are Canyon, Boardman or Decathlon but that's easily fixed by buying a set of wheels for summer and running the standard ones in winter
In reply to GrahamD:
I’ve got a 2010 Defy 4 at the moment which is probably a bit large for me but not desperately uncomfortable. Will be using the bike for 50+ mile rides, and the odd sportive. Don’t think I need anything too racy yet so the Defy seems a good choice. Unfortunately will be buying online with credit as I don’t have all the cash right now, but happy to pay for bike shop to tend to things like wheels. Are there other things likely to be “wrong” with a new bike bought online like this?
Post edited at 12:28
 Dark-Cloud 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Shouldn't be too much of an issue with online but your local Giant dealer is worth a shout, are you not near a Giant dealer ? Most of them do 0% these days, the one near me does.
 gethin_allen 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I am a Giant fan and have ridden them for years, good bikes, never had an issue and warranty is excellent, generally you cant go wrong

> In reference to the point above, all manufacturers keep cost down by using cheaper wheels and tyres regardless if they are Canyon, Boardman or Decathlon but that's easily fixed by buying a set of wheels for summer and running the standard ones in winter

But most people on circa £1,000 bikes don't have good wheels and winter wheels because what a keen rider would call good wheels probably cost almost as much as the bike. And anyhow, that decathlon bike, which although not flash has won various awards, comes with mavic cosmics so not all £1k bikes need to have crap wheels.
And if you take the price of a defy3 and add a pair of reasonable wheels + some GP4000s you could just by a canyon ultimate cf SL7 with 105, Askiums and GP4000s to start (admittedly not a disk model).

I'm not sure if I'd buy another Giant.
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Yes, could be worth doing.
 coinneach 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

I bought a Specialized rockhopper online from Tredz a few months ago.

Excellent service and arrived fully built with only the handlebars and pedals to adjust / put on.
 GrahamD 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

If you know the bike and its geometry, buying on line is fine. Its not like you are buying into a dodgy brand with Giant.
 Dark-Cloud 20 Oct 2017

Sigh, come on, be serious, i wasn't suggesting he go out and buy a set of £1K wheels, you know what i meant, run the wheels it came with until they are starting to be an issue, retire them and spend £250 on a pair of whatever.

Giant own brand wheels are decent enough wheels, sounded like yours just needed a bit of a tweak.

The Decathlon does look like a good deal but they seem to have put decent gear on a very average aluminium frame rather than average wheels on a decent frame.

I don't think the OP would go wrong with any of the options suggested thus far.
 ianstevens 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> The Decathlon does look like a good deal but they seem to have put decent gear on a very average aluminium frame rather than average wheels on a decent frame.

My thoughts too. Heavy and mediocre frame with nice wheels and groupset to make it appear a bargain. Far better off getting something with a decent frame (ideally carbon for the £1200 price point) and upgrading in future.

Someone above suggested at Canyon Ultimate CF SLX, presumably at the lowest spec of finishing kit/groupset/wheels - a great option IMO. I got one of these in the summer (the Ultegra Di2 version) and its a great frame; furthermore 105 is a really nice groupset. Not having discs isn't really an issue I don't think, I would much prefer rim brakes and it makes any potential wheel upgrade cheaper and easier as there tend to be more rim options as far as I'm aware.
Post edited at 15:46
In reply to ianstevens:

If I wanted to upgrade the wheels, would there be limited choice because it is a 10 speed set of cogs? I’m vaguely aware that these larger blocks of cogs require different wheel builds - more dish?
If that is the case, is 10 speed old hat now and upgrade wheels are only built for 11 speed?
Thanks for any advice.
 Dark-Cloud 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Not an issue, probably more choice in 10 speed than 11. Most wheels will take multiple size if cassettes anyway, for instance these are 8,9,10 and 11 speed

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-wh-rs21-clincher-road-wheelset-59772.h...
 gethin_allen 20 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

11 speed freehub bodies are just a little wider so you just add a small spacer to put a 10 speed cassette on, Fulcrum supply the spacers with their 11 speed wheels but they aren't expensive otherwise.
What might limit the deals you can find is that the frame takes through axle disk wheels rather than quick release, although these are getting more and more popular so there's bound to be plenty around.

the new Tiagra has been described as 105 minus a gear and personally, although I run the widest range cassette available, I don't find the gaps between gears too big. Although with 11 speed 105 you can get a semi-compact chainset to get a bit of a longer gear at the top and a bit more speed for those fast descents.
OP Hillseeker 21 Oct 2017

Just a thought, will I regret not getting something racier like the tcr? I’m a little worried about back pain with that type of bike but also love the idea of going fast and feeling the bike really respond. In short will the step up from my current 7 year old Defy with basic componentry to a modern Defy advanced be a revelation or will I feel like I’m missing out? Hard question to answer I know but any thoughts welcomed!
 Stig 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:
I have a TCR 1 and although I haven’t ridden a defy I would say the latter would be more comfortable. The TCR is pretty racy (IMO) and it comes with quite a long stem and obviously a lower head tube.

I also disagree with Gethin. Giants generally are staggeringly good value - as you would expect for a huge corporation wit economies of scale. My TCR was £1350 after a 15% preorder discount and on 0% interest - that’s with full Ultegra and a light frame. I sold the wheels straight off and bought Campag Zondas in the days when they were around £250. You can still get decent wheels like Fulcrum 5s for around that price.

I think if I was spending a lot more I’d get something more glamourous but Giants are still decent bikes.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Stig:

Agree totally, the TCR is longer lower and more aggressive position, they are also a lot stiffer than the Defy but I have always ridden race geometry, the Defy will still be a good ride, Sunweb or whatever they were then rode them on Roubaix, don’t need to say more than that really...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-the-roubaix-winning-gia...

I am just about to upgrade to a 2018 TCR Advanced Pro with discs and Di2, at £3400 it’s still a staggering deal with carbon rims etc.

I looked at glamorous but for that money glamorous buys you a frame and fork and that’s it, the heart says Colnago but the brain always comes back to Giant !
 Yanis Nayu 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I thought race bikes tended to have shorter wheelbases?
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

They may do but only a matter of millimetres, what I meant by longer was reach and drop.
 Yanis Nayu 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Even race bikes tend to come with a shit tonne of spacers for under the stem, so you have have the front end quite high, and you can get a short stem for a more upright position.

I’d go for the race geometry and gradually shift the spacers above the stem as I got used to it.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Short stems play havoc with handling though and too many spacer just look wrong ! You can still get lowish on a Defy.
 Yanis Nayu 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

When I say short I mean standard, like 100/110mm.

You can move a spacer and cut the steerer tube, but you can’t cut down the head tube.

It’s all academic anyway, he’ll buy the bike he likes the most
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yep, TCR or Defy, he won’t go far wrong.
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks for all the advice. Found a place not too far away that should stock both tcr and Defy so will try to get a test organised.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

I can do you a good deal on a mint condition 5 year old M/L TCR Advanced, full Ultegra, if you are interested and in Cumbria area give me a shout !
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Ah blimey, more options! The size is right, trouble is I’m poverty stricken so having to buy on credit. Also in the Midlands.
 Dark-Cloud 21 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Ok no worries, thought I would mention it !
 Dax H 22 Oct 2017
In reply to ianstevens:

> My thoughts too. Heavy and mediocre frame with nice wheels and groupset to make it appear a bargain. Far better off getting something with a decent frame (ideally carbon for the £1200 price point) and upgrading in future.

This is what I always did back in my mountain biking racing days, buy the best frame I could afford with mediocre to okay components then as they wore out I would replace them with quality items.
OP Hillseeker 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Went to a shop yesterday and had a go on tcr and Defy advanced. Now I want the tcr!
Only trouble is I mentioned the impending purchase to my better half and she gave me a bollocking - “Are you sure you’ve got enough money to do this....etc”
Might be a case of s-1 possibly....
 Yanis Nayu 23 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Tell her the tcr has better brakes and handling so it’s safer.
OP Hillseeker 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

This actually might be a deal breaker for her. She is really p1ssed off....
 Graham6664 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

There is a good offer on at Ribble at the moment:

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikes/special-offer-bikes/bikes-of-the-week/...

Hope this helps and not just add to the confusion.

Graham
 Yanis Nayu 24 Oct 2017
In reply to Hillseeker:

Tell her it’s faster and more dangerous and your life is insured then.
OP Hillseeker 25 Oct 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Don’t suppose your tcr is still for sale?
If so, how much are you asking and what colour is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...