/ Giro d'Italia 2019

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
GravitySucks - on 09 May 2019

Don't know if it is too early to start this years Giro thread but what the heck !
Not sure why, but the field seems a little light this year but some of the usual suspects up for the big prize :-

Dumoulin (I'm not fit and there's not enough time trialing), Nibbles (not quite the rider he used to be), Yates (put the ghost to rest ?), Lopez (possibly), Roglic (maybe), Landa (meh!) ....

It's a pity that Bernal wont be there as it might show what he is really capable of. Any dark horses that might sneak up on the outside ?

Sprinters field looks pretty interesting too !

cb294 - on 09 May 2019
In reply to GravitySucks:

My money is on Roglic. He won all stage races he entered this year, most recently Romandie. Only doubt is whether he has enough quality support in his team.

CB

DaveHK - on 09 May 2019

It seems appropriate at this point to doff our caps and remember Chris the Tall and his many entertaining and informative contributions to such threads.

Post edited at 13:09
GravitySucks - on 09 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Indeed,  Chapeau!

abr1966 - on 09 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> It seems appropriate at this point to doff our caps and remember Chris the Tall and his many entertaining and informative contributions to such threads.

Yes good point!!

Hope his spirit is here amongst us.....I'm going with Yates, Dumoulin, Roglic....in that order!

ianstevens - on 09 May 2019

> Don't know if it is too early to start this years Giro thread but what the heck !

> Not sure why, but the field seems a little light this year but some of the usual suspects up for the big prize :-

> Dumoulin (I'm not fit and there's not enough time trialing), Nibbles (not quite the rider he used to be), Yates (put the ghost to rest ?), Lopez (possibly), Roglic (maybe), Landa (meh!) ....

Because you're underrating the main contenders? Also the lack of an all-powerful team (ala Sky at the Tour) may make things more open. 

Dumoulin - had a bad early season last year, whinged about poor form then came second in both the Giro and the Tour. Loads of TT kms despite his gripes.

Nibali - showed in the Tour of the Alps he's in great condition, still got a grand tour win in him IMO and in a contract year... Good team to support (Caruso and Pozzovivo)

Yates - has learned loads in winning the Vuelta, won a TT at Paris-Nice and has been mainly been supporting his brother this year

Lopez - who knows, climbing well (won Volta a Cataluyna  believe?) but TTs might undo him. Againk, good climbing support and Astana have been looking good this year.

Ex-ski jumper Roglic - won everything he's done so far

Landa - agreed, meh. Could be great, could be dull.

Some extras:

Bobby Jungles? No idea on his form but has shown ability to hang on in the mountains and has a good TT in him. Not much support though.

Esteban Chaves? No idea on form but must be Plan B for MS if Yates blows up.

Tao G-H/Sivakov? Both with an unusual opportunity to act as a GC leader, and going well in the Alps. Maybe one in the top 5, probably one in the top 10. 

Mike Highbury - on 09 May 2019
In reply to ianstevens: Are you INRNG?

cb294 - on 09 May 2019

> Indeed,  Chapeau!

+1

CB

ianstevens - on 09 May 2019
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> Are you INRNG?

??

DaveHK - on 10 May 2019
Yanis Nayu - on 10 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I was going to post that. His passing saddened me a great deal, for someone I didn’t actually know. To Chris. 

soularch on 10 May 2019

There's always Thomas Du Gendt's mad breakaways to look forward to as well.

Would love to see Chaves find some verve again, but unlikely. Think Jungels will target stage wins perhaps over the GC.

The young un's at Ineos might mix things up a bit, as there both in superb form coming into this.

Sam Ash - on 10 May 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> Ex-ski jumper Roglic - won everything he's done so far

Did Roglic used to be a ski jumper? I'm surprised they don't mention that more on commentary.

richlan - on 10 May 2019

Just a quick mention for James Knox (Knoxy), a Cumbrian lad riding for Quickstep going in his first grand tour, so looking forward to watching him take this on, hes going to bag his first WorldTour win at some stage in the near future, be great if it was in the Giro !

ianstevens - on 10 May 2019
In reply to Sam Ash:

> Did Roglic used to be a ski jumper? I'm surprised they don't mention that more on commentary.

Just his first name isn't it?

ianstevens - on 10 May 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Wasn't aware of that website until now, cheers. But even if I was, I've got better ways to waste my time than to badly rewrite opinions on forums!

Post edited at 12:24
GrahamD - on 10 May 2019
In reply to soularch:

Can't see Chaves in anything but super domestique duties.

GravitySucks - on 11 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Spoiler alert !

A good start for the GC guys but too short to read anything in to the result,  perhaps a little below par for TD ....

nufkin - on 11 May 2019

Not that anyone on here can do much about it, but I'd like to take the opportunity to have a microrant about ITV not showing the Giro as well as the Tour and the Vuelta. Where's the harmony? It's got me seriously considering a Eurosport subscription

elsewhere on 11 May 2019

Big time gaps for such a short time trial. The excitement begins!

wilkesley - on 12 May 2019
In reply to nufkin:

Top tip. Subscribe to Eurosport around December/January. Annual subs can go as low as £9.95. Don't forget to cancel it, or they will auto-renew it at the end of your sub.l

Joez on 12 May 2019
In reply to nufkin:

The highlights are on Quest channel for free. Its essentially the eurosport highlights & commentary. 

Online here https://www.questod.co.uk/show/giro-ditalia-highlights

Or freeview channel 37 at 10pm every night.

GrahamD - on 12 May 2019
In reply to Joez:

Anyone have money on that winner ? (With deference to spoilers )

Marek - on 12 May 2019
In reply to Joez:

> The highlights are on Quest channel for free. Its essentially the eurosport highlights & commentary. 

> Or freeview channel 37 at 10pm every night.

7pm after the first day TT.

gimmer on 12 May 2019
In reply to Joez:

It's also being broadcast live on S4C. We don't have that channel at home but I was pleased to find that you can stream this through the BBC iPlayer app. The commentary is in Welsh but I'm ok with that!

Joez on 13 May 2019
In reply to Marek:

> 7pm after the first day TT.

Oops, yep

cb294 - on 13 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Not for money, but bragging rights at work, I got both winners so far correct.

For today, my pick is the runner up of yesterday's finish.

CB

GravitySucks - on 13 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

It will be interesting if this is a sign of things to come or just a cock up by the more established sprinters (no-one wanting to commit too early and not looking in the right direction etc etc) Perhaps we will know more today.

Bit of a double edged sword for Sam Bennett, team mate wins but .....

cb294 - on 13 May 2019

Yes, bit of a shame for a multiple stage winner just one year ago to be left out completely, but you cannot argue with success. Anyway, that was the 22nd or so stage or race win for the team so far, and they also had several podium finishes during the spring season even though their main rider for these events is a bit out of form, so they must be doing something right this year.

CB

GravitySucks - on 13 May 2019
cb294 - on 13 May 2019

Possibly, but he was definitely below par for the spring classics.

CB

becauseitsthere - on 13 May 2019

Viviani relegated. I think the commisars got it right. If he'd kept a straight line as the regs stipulate do you think he'd have won?

Not a great day for Team Ineos.  Looks like their GC hopes are gone already. Chuckles. 

GravitySucks - on 14 May 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

Yup, looking at the replay it does seem that Viviani veers across the road causing Moschetti to stop pedalling  and therefore halt his sprint. I don't believe it was deliberate but just one of those 'racing incidents' that will spilt opinions.

Not a great day for Team Ineos.  Looks like their GC hopes are gone already. Chuckles.

Yes, not a good day for TGH, unfortunate to be caught up in a couple of minor pile ups but not a cause for 'chuckles'.  He looks like a promising young rider, I'm sure we will see more of him before the end of the Giro.

cb294 - on 14 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Almost got it right again. Bastard comissaires! *

CB

* Distancing him was the correct decision.

cb294 - on 14 May 2019
In reply to becauseitsthere:

He would not have won without pullig left. DeMaré?

GrahamD - on 14 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

You need to get some money down ! who have you got down for GC ? Roglic looks like the man to beat on pre-season form but does his team have the GC winning mentality and focus ?

cb294 - on 14 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Roglic was my bet after winning all three stage races he participated in in 2019.

CB

In reply to GrahamD:

It's a pity that there aren't any mountain stages until nearly two thirds of the way through the race, it could make for a fairly dull spectacle in the GC category. I guess that the teams will have to try to keep their GC guys safe and just leave it to the sprinters and rouleurs / opportunists to fight it out for the first couple of weeks.   

Whoops ! Me and my big mouth !

cb294 - on 15 May 2019

Yes, stage 4 was eventful for the non sprinters, Dumoulin just abandoned!

CB

GrahamD - on 15 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

All I can say is I'm glad I'm nowhere near the 'sunny' Med coast today !

cb294 - on 16 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

Exactly! 

CB

GrahamD - on 17 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

You can't have called that result yesterday ! Takes the pressure off Lotto for a bit.

cb294 - on 17 May 2019
In reply to GrahamD:

I had 8 of the top 10 correct*

* not really.....

That was quite a surprise! I wonder if they left it a little too late, gap probably a bit too wide to close in the TT,

CB

GravitySucks - on 17 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

It seems pretty obvious that this was the plan from the outset ( although the size of the lead may be more than the recognised GC teams had bargained for). Holding on to the maglia rosa is a massive pain in the arse (sic) for Roglic, with all that it encompasses in terms of press commitments, drug testing and constantly being under the media microscope.

There are some decent riders in the 'new' top ten with a healthy lead so it will be interesting to see just how long it takes the contenders to restore status quo (if indeed they can). For the time being I'm sure they will be happy to be back in the pack and bide their time until the mountains arrive. 

Jim Hamilton - on 17 May 2019

>   For the time being I'm sure they will be happy to be back in the pack and bide their time until the mountains arrive. 

I wonder how far back in the pack they will now be - do their teams lose the "right" to be at the front and supposedly better placed to avoid crashes?

cb294 - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

That will depend on the arrangements they have with the jury.

Shocked to see that TJVG is still in yellow over in California after crashing 10km before the finish, then catching up with the victims of a second crash 3.3km out....

CB

GravitySucks - on 17 May 2019
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

There is no 'right' to be at the front and the recognised GC teams are the de facto strongest teams and  will continue to keep their leaders safe at the front of the peleton regardless of who is holding the maglia rosa.

elsewhere on 21:57 Tue

Never seen somebody on the podium looking so miserable.

Ackerman, poor bugger, after that crash.

DaveHK - on 22:04 Tue

Viviani has come up short hasn't he? According to the previews it was all going to be about him in the sprints.

DaveHK - on 21:17 Wed
In reply to DaveHK:

> Viviani has come up short hasn't he? According to the previews it was all going to be about him in the sprints.

And he's now sacked it.

elsewhere on 20:15 Thu

Great stage today, those tiny cobbled streets are fantastic for the spectators and the spectacle 

Smart move by UAE team to keep the pink jersey but I don't understand why GC teams allowed that.

Post edited at 20:21

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.