UKC

Giro on Freeview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cragtyke 06 May 2021

Looks like Quest will be showing the Giro highlights from Eurosport daily.

GrahamD 06 May 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

That's useful, even if it's likely to have Kelly's meaningless punditry on it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Kimono 06 May 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

> That's useful, even if it's likely to have Kelly's meaningless punditry on it.  

you say that like like its a bad thing

rsc 06 May 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Does anyone know if S4C are doing live coverage again this year? I quite like the Welsh commentary, it makes me feel I’m learning something useful.

OP cragtyke 06 May 2021
In reply to rsc:

I think they are

> Does anyone know if S4C are doing live coverage again this year? I quite like the Welsh commentary, it makes me feel I’m learning something useful.

elsewhere 06 May 2021

How good is the GCN+ subscription/channel?

GrahamD 07 May 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

I'm annoyed because when I tried to get the GCN half price introductory offer, some glitch in the system somewhere kept stopping me from registering.   Less keen to stump out £40 PA.

Richard Horn 07 May 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

I have a Eurosport subscription and as far as I know in terms of cycling you get all the big races that are on GCN (both channels are from same stable), think its about £50 per year. For me it means live Giro stages, all the spring classics, more flexibility over watching Tour/Vuelta (although they are covered on ITV4 as well), cyclocross etc. Aside cycling you can binge away on other sport - you get all the climbing world cup! Also Le Mans 24hrs etc  

On the negative side, a while back Eurosport updated their TV app without warning which obsoleted my TV (so had to switch to running it from laptop / HDMI onto telly etc), although we recently bought a new TV so can watch direct from the TV app again, but it was pretty annoying.

Kimono 08 May 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

i have to say that its fantastic! At 20 quid it was the deal of the century but tbh id happily pay 40 (and will next year no doubt)

The docs alone are great and to be able to watch so much racing without those bloody alpecin//come to israel' ads that blight eurosport is an utter joy!!

ianstevens 08 May 2021
In reply to Richard Horn:

You realise you can watch the climbing on YouTube vi the IFSC for free right?

RobAJones 08 May 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

I agree with kimono it was £20 well spent. On the TV app. I initially thought Mrs J was winding me up by saying it would work in the garage (Sony) but not in the living room (Samsung). On the commentary, after an slightly irritating / over enthusiastic start Adam Blyte has settled in to be quite insightful / up to date

r0b 08 May 2021
In reply to cragtyke:

Yes S4C are showing the giro again (typically last two hours of the stage) and remember that S4C is available on BBC iPlayer

elsewhere 08 May 2021
In reply to GrahamD, RobAJones & Kimono:

You sold me on it, I coughed up the £40.

Pity I was too stingy when it was only £20!

Works in browser on laptop so hopefully it will work in browser on my Raspberry Pi connected to TV.

Post edited at 15:10
 Mr Fuller 08 May 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

"Yes, well..."

Pedro50 08 May 2021
In reply to r0b:

> Yes S4C are showing the giro again (typically last two hours of the stage) and remember that S4C is available on BBC iPlayer

Is it in English?

ripper 08 May 2021
In reply to Mr Fuller:

> "Yes, well..."

Followed by a verbatim repeat of the question he's just been asked. Can't wait!

rsc 08 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Is it in English?

Not if it’s like last year, no. But you’d be surprised how much of the vocabulary is the same in Welsh!

wynaptomos 08 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Is it in English?

No, I believe that it is possible to get subtitles in English though. On iPlayer probably.

wynaptomos 08 May 2021
In reply to wynaptomos:

Also, some of you interested in music, one of the commentators is Peredur ap Gwynedd, better known as the guitarist with Pendulum, Natalie Imbuglia and many others. He is also a mad keen cyclist, obviously!!

ianstevens 08 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> Is it in English?

Why would it be? 

Pedro50 08 May 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> Why would it be? 

Well I'm unsure if S4C have their own production team and commentators or do they take a more main stream feed. Seemed a reasonable question. When checking I could find the channel the ads were in English. 

In reply to Pedro50:

Doesn’t everyone get the same feed and then they just overlay their commentary?

I splashed out on Eurosport’s for the monuments and classics. Seems to be worth it so far.

Decent stage today. I wish I could hold 500 watts for 9 minutes...

Pedro50 08 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

OK so it is in Welsh but no worse than Sean Kelly. It'll do me

ianstevens 09 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Because it’s a Welsh language channel - cycling cover gate is provided by the race organisers without commentary with each service adding their own.

Adverts on S4C are only on English because advertisers don’t dub over the ads which are already recorded in English. 

GravitySucks 10 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

Edwards :  So Sean, who do you fancy for the win today ?

Sean Kelly :  I would be going for the one who crosses the finish line first.

Many (many) more pearls of wisdom and thoughtful insight available daily.

The Welsh version makes far more sense and I cant even pronounce Snowdon

rsc 11 May 2021
In reply to GravitySucks:

Delighted today to learn that the Welsh for concrete bollard is... “concrete bollard”!

ablackett 11 May 2021
In reply to rsc:

Quest seem to be showing the prologue timetrial again, have they screwed up and played the wrong tape?

wercat 12 May 2021
In reply to ablackett:

I was a bit disappointed about that ..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...