UKC

Glencoe.....road bike routes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 12 Feb 2018

Off to Glencoe for a couple of weeks shortly and thinking of taking my roadie.

I've ridden the loop down to Kinlochleven and round the loch many times but someone told me there are much better cycle paths now heading towards Oban and Fort William.

Anyone got any route suggestions not involving the major roads!?

Thanks

Post edited at 18:31
 Rog Wilko 12 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

Corran ferry takes you over to some nice areas a bit off the beaten track. The obvious Glenfinnan - Lochailort - Salen loop would be a great day out. Only the bit along the main Fort Bill to Mallaig road would be a bit busy.

OP abr1966 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Thanks.....sounds good. Was thinking I may just ride Fort William to Malaig and back one day if the weather seems ok. Apart from the stretch through Corpach the road is fairly quiet I reckon...

Pids 12 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

there is indeed a cycle path from Connel Bridge to Glancoe, however it is more suited to mtb or cross bike as opposed to a carbon road bike  - better on the road!

Fingers crossed for decent weather for you as well

DH3631 12 Feb 2018
In reply to abr1966:

The cycle track goes from Glencoe to Oban, with a gap of a mile or two immediately after Duror, and a longer gap (3-4 miles) from Connel to Dunbeg. Also, the pavement between the Ballachulish bridge roundabout and Curran ferry has been redesignated as a combined footpath/cycle track, with the surface widened and improved at various points. The surface is fine for road bikes, carbon or otherwise, and quite a lot better than the current state of most of the roads about Lochaber. But take your chances with the potholes if you prefer... The only thing to watch out for on the cycle track at this time of year, apart from frost, is the occasional green spot in shady areas. A good loop, about 70 miles with some climbing, is Glencoe-Corran(ferry)-Strontian-Lochaline(ferry)- Fishnish-Craignure(ferry)-Oban, then home. All but 5 miles or so on very quiet roads or cycle track. For something shorter, down the cycle track to Appin, then do the Port Appin-North Shian and/or Loch Creran loops, and return same way. You could also nip over to Lismore on the wee ferry from Port Appin if you fancy it. 

drunken monkey 12 Feb 2018
In reply to Pids:

I drove from Oban to Fort William last Thursday and the road surface is absolutely terrible. You'd be swerving significant potholes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...