UKC

Graeme Obree's #BannedByTheUCI

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 05 Feb 2019

It's amusing but it is an advert if anybody objects to that.

youtube.com/watch?v=s3WzxaTKM8U&

Pids 05 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

The man is a legend!

Fiona Reid 05 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Absolute class

afx22 05 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Ace!

GeoffG 05 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Genius!!

OP elsewhere 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Pids:

> The man is a legend!

A colleague who used to be a member of the same cycling club agrees.

https://www.fullartonwheelers.com/club_history.php

The story is Obree did some club runs on his heavy shopping bike with thick tyres and panniers.

Sometimes serious roadies from other clubs thought this was their opportunity to beat a former world champion. They were wrong.

Post edited at 13:16
 wilkie14c 05 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Bikes made from washing machines??

Banned!

legend 

DaveHK 05 Feb 2019
In reply to GeoffG:

> Genius!!

This. A million times over. A living national treasure.

Pids 06 Feb 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> A colleague who used to be a member of the same cycling club agrees.

> The story is Obree did some club runs on his heavy shopping bike with thick tyres and panniers.

> Sometimes serious roadies from other clubs thought this was their opportunity to beat a former world champion. They were wrong.

I've cycled with him a few times over the years.

Went out couple of Christmases ago, in marginal weather, soon turned to snow which was now lieing so I turned for home, soon became a white  out  and I was regretting my earlier optimism, then saw a strange sight - someone cycling towards me, away from civilization, on a road bike but with a trailer as well - Mr Obree, on his way to deliver the Christmas presents to family friends - stopped for a natter and we each called ourselves idiots - at least I was only a mile or two from home, he had at least 15+ miles to go.

Legend.

(and he still turns up for timekeeping duties at local cycle events)

FingersMcGhee 02 Mar 2019
In reply to Pids:

Did he used to turn up to some TT events and have a bottle of Grolsch on the start line?
Heard this from a friend who was in a club with him many years ago, although I find it hard to believe.

Was saddened to see Graeme was selling all of his old bikes and memorabilia a while back, hope he is doing well now http://bikesy.co.uk/features/history/chance-graeme-obrees-bikes-medals/

A real cycling hero that Scotland and Britain can be proud off. Phillipa York also.

Pipecleaner 02 Mar 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Absolutely brilliant, he's a genius and has a great sense of humour too.  

Still remember the rumbling sound of doom as he approached to catch me for 6mins about two thirds of the way round the tour de trossachs time trial on my first attempt...and feeling even worse when he described his performance as "riding like a slug".

Perhaps if he'd been french or italian things would have been different?

Andy Hardy 02 Mar 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

Excellent. And I didnt know that we're still allowed to peel potatoes in bike race.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...