UKC

Grand Colombier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 02 Dec 2019

I have discovered that my planned journey to Chamonix next year will pass close to the Grand Colombier on July 14th, when the TDF   stage finishes there.

Its on my bucket list to park my van on a TDF climb, and somewhere near the top of Grand Colombier would be fantastic.

Anyone done this type of thing? How early do I have to get there?

Any advice and experiences welcome.

Ta.

Fred

Enty 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Fredt:

The Grand Colombier stage is on the 12th.

On the 14th they finish in the Vercors at Villard de Lans.

E

OP Fredt 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Enty:

> The Grand Colombier stage is on the 12th.

> On the 14th they finish in the Vercors at Villard de Lans.

Sorry, it was a typo, (and poor short term memory) I am in the area on the 12th.

Swirly 02 Dec 2019
In reply to Fredt:

Spent a very enjoyable week following the tour through the Alps and to Paris in a van this summer. Before this I would have said you would want to be there a week early to get a van spot but we managed to get pretty decent spots the night before on the Lauteret, Iseran (actually just before the climb as no camping is allowed) and Val Thorens. However, having ridden the Grand Columbier a couple of years ago I recall it is quite narrow (at least on one side) so finding a van space may be tricky.

I would recommend parking at the bottom* and riding up on the morning, this will make it easier to find a spot and to get away afterwards. Make sure you know what time the road closures are and which routes they affect. We had a tricky journey from the Lauteret to the Iseran due to a landslide closing a road forcing us to follow the tour over the Galibier and through Valloire meaning we had to wait a couple of hours for roads to reopen. It was worse the next day when the big landslide hit!

*or if the stage finishes at the top park on the other side and walk/ride over the summit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...