UKC

Handelbar Tape Recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Knowledgeable bike people...

I am struggling to know what handlebar tape to buy for my road bike. I can't tell what is what from the online shops and ended up buying some really thick and spongy stuff last time which hasn't lasted well. What I want is something a bit thinner and easy to apply but good quality so not looking to save pennies on this.

Thanks
Alan

DaveHK 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I've used Bontrager Gel Cork tape for years. Comfy, long lasting and as easy as any to fit. It's not too expensive either so I often double wrap for comfort.

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/parts/grips-bar-tape/bontrager-gel-cork-b...

Dave B 06 Feb 2021

I used to use cinelli Cork tape, but since I bought a better bike I've moved to Supacaz Super Sticky Kush Handlebar Tape. Which is anything but  cheap. Its much better when it gets wet though.

Gone for good 06 Feb 2021

I like lizard skin tape. Strong and durable, looks great and thick enough to prevent blisters on long bumpy rides like the Tour of Flanders.

tomsan91 06 Feb 2021

Another vote for Supacaz tape

SteveJC94 07 Feb 2021

Lizard Skins all the way. Not cheap, but well worth it 

TobyA 07 Feb 2021

I've bought Decathon's own stuff before and it has worked perfectly well! Sort of middle of the road between no padding at all and lots of padding. And of course a quarter of the price of the branded stuff!

LastBoyScout 07 Feb 2021

I've got Fizik ultralight on my best bike - nice feel, but rips to shreds if you need to unwrap it to change a cable, or something.

Hack bikes have the cheapest Deda stuff on , as it's easy to apply and cheap to replace - can get a bit slippery in the rain, though.

Put Lizard Skins on my wife's bike - I'll feed back if she ever rides the thing!

nniff 07 Feb 2021

I was going to say 'not Lizard Skins' - I find that nice tacky surface wears through fast and leaves a tatty 'worn canvas' look behind.  Fizik has been good for me, as has Pro.  The latter is unremarkable but tough as old boots.  Fizik - comfy and durable - the very thin stuff is comfortable enough, but the thicker versions even more so.

nufkin 08 Feb 2021
In reply to nniff:

>  I was going to say 'not Lizard Skins' 

Me too, though for a different reason - both times I used it (can't remember which version, though. I believe there are several) it ended up creeping along the bars, eventually with the surface layer separating from the cushioned backing. That could have been down to my poor wrapping skills, mind, and it is wonderfully grippy and reassuring in the wet

LastBoyScout 08 Feb 2021
In reply to nufkin:

> Me too, though for a different reason - both times I used it (can't remember which version, though. I believe there are several) it ended up creeping along the bars, eventually with the surface layer separating from the cushioned backing. That could have been down to my poor wrapping skills, mind, and it is wonderfully grippy and reassuring in the wet

With respect, were you wrapping it in the right direction? There's a really good Park Tools video on how (and why) to wrap the bars so it doesn't do that.

youtube.com/watch?v=5MzIiv7pewE&

Post edited at 10:31
 nufkin 08 Feb 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Quite possibly not - I was probably getting a bit caught up in wrapping past the levers without resorting to cover strips, rather than paying attention to what direction the tape was going once past them.

Now I'm going to be disappearing down a Calvin hole for the rest of the evening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...