UKC

Hard tail bike component upgrades

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 03 Mar 2018

I’ve recently bought an Alpkit Sonder Broken Road Ti bike, and really like it, so much so that my full susser, a Giant Reign, gets left for only the most technical of my rides. 

But with riding so much, componentry is wearing out fairly quickly. I’ve seen it said that it’s usually not worth upgrading an existing bike, just save it for a new bike, but I like the frame, and being titanium, I hope it will last a while, so am happy to upgrade components as they start wearing.

I’m not overly knowledgeable about bike components, so happy for views of what the most noticeable upgrades would be to ride quality, with a focus of durability and dependibility as I do some longer distance trails with it.

I already have a spare set of 29 wheels, to swap out from the 27.5+ that are on it, built with carbon rims from Lightbicycle, and decent hubs, so what next? I prefer it with no dropper post, to keep it simpler and with less to go wrong.

Early thoughts are swapping to Shimano XT, and Shimano brakes of some type. I’d like a decent front fork around 120mm travel. LBS suggested MRP Ribbon coils, but I’m not sure if 140mm would be too much on this frame.

Thanks for any suggestions.

itsThere 03 Mar 2018
In reply to damowilk:

Run it with the 29" wheels, ditch the 27.5" plus wheels for a month or two. Rethink the dropper post as its a game changer. Whats the current fork/component spec? If your looking at an MRP ribbon why not hope brakes.

MonkeyPuzzle 03 Mar 2018
In reply to damowilk:

Droppers are getting more and more reliable, so definitely worth considering. Brand X dropper is like £125 and gets great reviews.

I prioritise: contact points, wheels (sorted), suspension, brakes, drivetrain.

Magura MT Trail Sport brakes are excellent bang for buck. Borrowed a mate’s bike with them on and comparable with XT for power but with loads more modulation.

Manitou is seriously underrated for their suspension. If you can find a Mattoc for a good price I’d get it, unless you have a Pike or Fox 34 already.

ChrisJD 04 Mar 2018
In reply to damowilk:

This is not upgrading, it's maintenance !

Some suggestions:

Forks: What the heck is the LBS doing suggesting MRP Ribbon coil forks for this bike?

Your bike has Reba forks at 100mm?

Have a look at Rockshox Revelations, Yari, Pike. Choose your wallet point. Yari/Pike, probably too much for this bike, but could make it fun. RS are low maintenance forks.

You can get 120mm variants on all of these (the frame is rated up to 120mm at 650B):

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/component/forks#sm.0001co8vof58udwhsht2dhudu8... 

If you are contemplating using the 29er wheels, need to make sure any fork upgrade can accommodate them (the frame is rated up to 100mm at 29er).

Brakes: splash on some SRAM Guide RSC.

Upgrade to bigger rotors, go for 200mm if you can front & rear. You can never have enough braking power

Cassette: have a looks at E13 9-46t (runs on 11sp SRAM); been running these for a good while, love the range (bigger range than Eagle), but not cheap. Should allow you to go 34t at front, or an easier life at 32t?

Derailleur: stick with SRAM, GX a good compromise and these things prone to damage.

Chain: replace as soon as worn, don't be tempted to keep running.

Definitely try a dropper.  But Reverbs just don't last, I can get through one in 9 to 12 months.  We had three go at the same time last month! (only one under warranty)

Just put an X-fusion on the hardtail, meant to be OK, we'll see. My partner has just put on the E13 dropper (X-fusion body too long for the frame), again we'll see if they last.

OP damowilk 06 Mar 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks for all the advice. In case anyone is interested, I thought I’d update what I went with. It’s going to be a real Frankenbike, choices dictated by advice, and what was available at good price: Shimano XT groupset, Magura MT trail brakes and a Manitou Magnum pro fork. Looking forward to see how it rides.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...