UKC

Help me choose a new wheelset?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ally Smith 12 Jul 2013
My Ultegra/Open Pro wheels have just about bitten the dust so i need to think about some new hoops.

First off; how much of a difference will aero-rims make? I'm not talking Zipp style 10cm deep jobbies, just in the range of 35mm.

I.e. will the Fulcrum Racing Quattro's be significantly faster than Racing 5's?

Secondly, if aero is the way to go, my idle browsing has focused in on:
- Campag Scirocco CX
- Fulcrum Racing Quattro CX

(this is for a CX bike, but it does a fair amount of road miles, and i'm a devil for ignoring dirty bikes, so more robust seals are the way forward for me)

Will the latter be £100 "better" than the former?
 Escher 12 Jul 2013
In reply to C Chestwig; Treacherous climber:

> First off; how much of a difference will aero-rims make?

Pretty much bugger all. You get some benefit at higher speeds (at least 20mph+ but 25mph+ really though even then it's not massive. TT'ers get more benefit from skinsuits, aero helmets and bike position) but below that nothing really. The point of them for most is that they look bling.

> I.e. will the Fulcrum Racing Quattro's be significantly faster than Racing 5's?
>

Nope.

If you want something robust, maintenance free but still relatively light and stiff (and therefore climb well) I'd go for something like handbuilts with Hope 3 hubs and Velocity A23 rims 28 spoke front and rear. They'll be as light or lighter than those you've listed, stronger and the hubs will last forever. And if you wear out the rims (which you will do if you don't ever clean your bike) then you can get them rebuilt. The factory hoops will go in the bin.

quirky 12 Jul 2013
In reply to C Chestwig; Treacherous climber: I have always been a "stock wheel" rider on the roads (upgrade mtb wheels but never really bother with road bike), not sure how good Campag Zondas are but i find the difference amazing, very stiff and super smooth hubs. I am sure someone will be along in a minute to tell me they are crap but i love em!
 TimB 12 Jul 2013

If the Ultegra hubs are in good condition (ie if you haven't let the bearings go to the point that the races are pitted) then it might be interesting to see if you can get them built with some decent spokes and nice rims - Stans Alpha (if you don't weigh too much and want light wheels), Velocity A23 or H plus Son for a wider rim, or some of the Kinlin rims.
OP Ally Smith 12 Jul 2013
In reply to TimB: The rear hub is shot - bearing surfaces are pitted and it makes a shocking sound whilst freewheeling. Front is in fairly good nick.

I see that Hope Hoops are available in either Open Pro or Stans Alpha. I'm 75kg ish (sub 12st) but the bike does get some off road action too.

Are the Stans rims rugged enough for me?
 Escher 12 Jul 2013

> Are the Stans rims rugged enough for me?

No
OP Ally Smith 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Escher: Cheers for putting me onto the Hope hubs. I got ended up with a Hope Pro3/Open Pro combo with 32 spokes going cheap on Wiggle. First ride commuting to work yesterday and they make a noticeable difference to quieter riding (when not free-wheeling - the Hope hub isn't quiet, but also isn't as loud as I'd been lead to believe)

The Hope hubs have quietened down in recent years, they don't sound quite like a football rattle these days! The freewheel sound is good for letting people know you are approaching

ALC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...