UKC

hit and run on cyclist

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 03 May 2019

Wow - some callous scenes on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48146525

Hope the driver is found and dealt with accordingly, and that the cyclist recovers

balmybaldwin 03 May 2019
In reply to subtle:

Looks very deliberate.

Martin W 03 May 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Certainly looks like it could have been deliberate.  Although the BMW does appear to have been travelling at somewhat in excess of the speed limit, given that another car had gone the other way just a few seconds before it seems difficult to conceive how the driver could have lost control sufficiently to be on the wrong side of the road unintentionally in just that short time. 

Even if it wasn't deliberate he's still a dangerous, callous tete de merde.

In reply to subtle:

At the bottom of the article it explains they have identified the owner of the car and if they do not get a response it'll be a court summons.

shocking footage though!

Max factor 03 May 2019
In reply to subtle:

The student in the hit and run was interviewed on the London news last night, and they showed the full CCTV. Frickin' incredible police reaction, if the reporting is to be believed  they told the guy to go and source the CCTV footage himself, and on viewing said they'd write to the vehicle owner. oh goody. 

Martin W 10 Jun 2019
In reply to subtle:

An unexpected, and welcome, update on this horrific incident:

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/bmw-driver-facing-jail-horri...

Fagan, of Regina Road, Islington, appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court on Tuesday (June 4) where he pleaded guilty to causing injury by dangerous driving and failing to stop after a road traffic accident

And I know we shouldn't encourage negative stereotypes - especially since people seem all too eager to apply them to cyclists as well - but why does it always seem to be BMW drivers?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cyclist-talks-mental-scars-v...

The video shows Rammell approaching a T junction on the right hand side of the lane.

As he puts his foot down at the white line, a BMW cuts the corner of the junction and ploughs into Rammell, knocking him onto the bonnet before he falls heavily on the floor.

gethin_allen 10 Jun 2019
In reply to subtle:

For such a horrendous hit and run he'll probably get at least a week in jail, maybe even two and 3 points on his license.

trouserburp 10 Jun 2019
In reply to gethin_allen:

Judge John Hillen told Fagan that the crime would normally come with an immediate prison sentence

but it was a cyclist so run along

JoshOvki 10 Jun 2019
In reply to trouserburp:

It does make you wonder what else was taken into account to make it not an immediate prision sentence. 

Siward 10 Jun 2019
In reply to trouserburp:

He hasn't been sentenced yet. The Judge was merely telling him what to expect I think

Dax H 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Siward:

> He hasn't been sentenced yet. The Judge was merely telling him what to expect I think

The wheels of justice turn slowly. It was about 18 months before the drunk driver that killed my mate finally ended up in court and was sentenced (3.5 years) 

gethin_allen 10 Jun 2019
In reply to Dax H:

> The wheels of justice turn slowly. It was about 18 months before the drunk driver that killed my mate finally ended up in court and was sentenced (3.5 years) 

The 18 months thing isn't particularly a problem IMO, it takes a lot of time to prepare a court case, the pathetic 3.5 years for what is effectively manslaughter is a heap of sh!t.

Rigid Raider 11 Jun 2019
In reply to subtle:

I don't think many people, even the most callous, would enjoy 18 months with the prospect of a prison sentence haging over them. It's probably as bad a punishment as prison because the mind will be imagining all kinds of things.

Deadeye 11 Jun 2019
In reply to trouserburp:

> Judge John Hillen told Fagan that the crime would normally come with an immediate prison sentence

> but it was a cyclist so run along

You've misunderstood.  He's bailed until the senencing - which is normal.  The message was "pack your bag for when you come back for sentencing"

balmybaldwin 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I wouldn't have a problem with it if people are remanded in custody - they have afterall proven themselves to be a danger to the public, and in most DD cases it's an open and shut case in terms of evidence

Whitters 11 Jun 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

> I wouldn't have a problem with it if people are remanded in custody 

I get where you are coming from but bear in mind that whilst on remand prisoners often have greater privileges than sentenced prisoners and the time on remand counts towards the total sentence.

In reply to Martin W:

> An unexpected, and welcome, update on this horrific incident:

> Fagan, of Regina Road, Islington, appeared at Blackfriars Crown Court on Tuesday (June 4) where he pleaded guilty to causing injury by dangerous driving and failing to stop after a road traffic accident

> And I know we shouldn't encourage negative stereotypes - especially since people seem all too eager to apply them to cyclists as well - but why does it always seem to be BMW drivers?

> The video shows Rammell approaching a T junction on the right hand side of the lane.

> As he puts his foot down at the white line, a BMW cuts the corner of the junction and ploughs into Rammell, knocking him onto the bonnet before he falls heavily on the floor.

This is good to hear but the way the police investigated this crime is shockingly poor. If the guy had been (even) more seriously injured he wouldn't have been able to collect the evidence before it was deleted and presumably the driver would have got away with it.

balmybaldwin 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Whitters:

True, but better than them continuing to drive around in full knowledge they are about to lose license (and therefore even less likely to adhere to the rules)

Andy Hardy 11 Jun 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> This is good to hear but the way the police investigated this crime is shockingly poor. If the guy had been (even) more seriously injured he wouldn't have been able to collect the evidence before it was deleted and presumably the driver would have got away with it.

+1. Imagine if he'd done that to a kid, cycling home from school? Or an OAP popping out to the shops?

In reply to Andy Hardy:

> +1. Imagine if he'd done that to a kid, cycling home from school? Or an OAP popping out to the shops?

Yes indeed. It's a shame it was only a young medical student, who, being left with brain damage, may have lost his entire career. But being a cyclist was therefore not worth bothering about.

Trevers 12 Jun 2019
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

> This is good to hear but the way the police investigated this crime is shockingly poor. If the guy had been (even) more seriously injured he wouldn't have been able to collect the evidence before it was deleted and presumably the driver would have got away with it.

I wonder if the police realise that they're effectively justifying vigilantism?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...