UKC

How would you fancy pedalling a Rickshaw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Godwin 14 Mar 2023

I have just been to India and used a Rickshaw. TBH I never feel comfortable using them and always end up overpaying, but leaving any ethical considerations to one side. I watched the bloke pedalling in flip flops and I don't think any gears, and I wondered how most UK cyclists would cope.

I will not be volunteering.

wbo2 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin: Most UK people will have ridden a rubbish bike at some point so just fine although the cornering takes some getting used to .

Pedalling in flip flops is not a magic skill

LastBoyScout 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

When I was on honeymoon in Phnom Penh, we had a city tour on cyclos. Being a keen cyclist, I obviously asked if I could have a go, so pedalled my driver around - much to the amusement of all his mates in the other rickshaws*! Hard work, not terribly well maintained, but at least it was flat and mine actually had pedals. The brake was fun, though - had to reach behind and pull a handle that activated the rear hub brake, so not ideal for an emergency stop!

* - and he didn't even tip me!

bouldery bits 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I think the novelty would soon wear off. 

NorthernGoat 15 Mar 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Yeah I've had similar with a mate who was a decent standard hill climber. From what I remember he tried to really push it and the actual driver began to get a bit panicked at the speed!

OP Godwin 15 Mar 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

That is an interesting anitdote, but to get the full experience, rather than having a skinny rickshaw driver as a passenger, you need a pair of overweight people and a suitcase.

It would be interesting to see how a driver got on with a fully loaded touring bike.

Ramblin dave 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> I have just been to India and used a Rickshaw. TBH I never feel comfortable using them and always end up overpaying, but leaving any ethical considerations to one side. I watched the bloke pedalling in flip flops and I don't think any gears, and I wondered how most UK cyclists would cope.

I don't want to start a massive debate, but what are the ethical considerations? Is there something specifically bad and exploitative about rickshaws, or is it just generalized guilt at shirking hard work by paying someone to do it for you?

Neil Williams 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Rather than those stupid massive things that block traffic (cycle and car) around Oxford Circus and charge a fortune to unsuspecting tourists, I have wondered if it might not be a bad idea to actually have e-bike rickshaw taxis in big cities as a proper, regulated thing?

My knees couldn't handle it now but when I was a student I'd have happily done something like that to earn a few extra quid.  I'd definitely have done pushbike Deliveroo/Uber Eats had they been a thing back then.

Post edited at 10:52
OP Godwin 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Rather than those stupid massive things that block traffic (cycle and car) around Oxford Circus and charge a fortune to unsuspecting tourists, I have wondered if it might not be a bad idea to actually have e-bike rickshaw taxis in big cities as a proper, regulated thing?

> My knees couldn't handle it now but when I was a student I'd have happily done something like that to earn a few extra quid.  I'd definitely have done pushbike Deliveroo/Uber Eats had they been a thing back then.

What has this got to do with Rickshaws in India?

wbo2 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin: Rickshaw is the common factor.  And you're implying that noone in the UK is tough enough to pedal one, not even battle hardened Deliveroo riders

The New NickB 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

Rickshaws are essentially human powered taxis. Any ethical considerations would only relate to fair pay and working conditions.

As with any heavy human powered vehicle, hills are the enemy. How hard or easy it is physically will depend on the terrain.

Electrically assisted, human powered delivery is becoming more and more a thing in U.K. cities and not just deliveroo. I can see a market opening as cities, rightly, rebalance space away from motor vehicles.

girlymonkey 15 Mar 2023
In reply to wbo2:

I regularly cycle around town in summer in flip flops. I do get odd looks, but I don't really get why. 

I have it in mind that the rickshaws why go around Edinburgh in summer (do they still have them? Not been there in ages) are electric pedal assist. Makes sense certainly for a hilly city. 

I haven't tried one, but I would like to think I could manage fine. 

Neil Williams 15 Mar 2023
In reply to Godwin:

> What has this got to do with Rickshaws in India?

The subject line asks "How would you fancy pedalling a Rickshaw?"  It doesn't specify whether I'd like to pedal one in a specific country.

I'd venture that there's a lot more likelihood (or was in my youth had they been a thing) of me pedalling one in the UK than in India, on the basis that I've been there once and am by no means certain to go again.

Plus they do exist in the UK, they tend to hang around touristy places like Oxford Circus and theatreland.

Post edited at 16:30
OP Godwin 16 Mar 2023
In reply to Neil Williams:

Abject apologies, you are correct and I am wrong, in mitigation, I had just travelled from Delhi and was trying to stay awake until 8pm, to avoid Jet lag. 

But apologies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...