UKC

Leaky Brake Lever

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I think there might be a slight leak in the master cylinder of my Tektro Auriga Comp brakes. There are some replacement seals available online and a master cylinder kit, as well as the whole lever assembly for £30. I’m tempted by the lazy solution of getting the whole lever assembly but I’d like to strip the thing down really to find the problem. I can’t find any online instructions on how to strip the lever down and replace the seals - has anyone done this or similar please?

LastBoyScout 21 Sep 2021
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Out of interest, what's your evidence for the leak being in the master cylinder?

I had an odd one a few years ago where my front brake hose developed a pin hole leak about 1/2 way down the side of the forks - took me a while to find that one.

Failing that, I just take things apart carefully and take lots of photos of where each part goes and which way round.

gravy 21 Sep 2021
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Failing that, I just take things apart carefully and take lots of photos of where each part goes and which way round. <trying not to get brake fluid or oil on my camera/phone> (from experience)

In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Out of interest, what's your evidence for the leak being in the master cylinder?

I still need to be sure, but I think there were signs of oil around the lever / reservoir. Could have been left over from a messy bleed so I'll check before I try replacing anything.

> Failing that, I just take things apart carefully and take lots of photos of where each part goes and which way round.

Trouble is, I can't even see how to start! Nothing obvious to undo.

In reply to gravy:

> Failing that, I just take things apart carefully and take lots of photos of where each part goes and which way round. <trying not to get brake fluid or oil on my camera/phone> (from experience)

Yes, despite best efforts that stuff seems to get everywhere. Still, I suppose there are worse fluids to be covered in.

Monk 21 Sep 2021

I've recently had the same thing with a Shimano lever. Oil clearly leaking from around where the lever operates the cylinder/reservoir. While I'm sure it's just a seal, the effort and cost of repairing drove me to the easy way out and i bought a new lever. Not proud, but like you, discovered it wasn't really self-serviceable

gethin_allen 21 Sep 2021

> Trouble is, I can't even see how to start! Nothing obvious to undo.

I haven't ever seen or used these brakes, but a common system is to have the piston held simply by a circlip. So if you take the lever off it may become obvious, although in the diagram of the lever I can find the lever pivot appears to be push fit and therefore maybe a pain to remove. You may still struggle as the clips  are small and access is difficult.

In reply to gethin_allen:

Thanks. Even if I could get the lever off, access to the end of the piston looks tricky. The option of a whole new lever assembly is looking attractive.

GPN 26 Sep 2021

I’ve just had a look at a diagram online and the lever axle is held in place by a grub screw. They might have covered it over with a rubber bung or similar.

In reply to GPN:

Sorry, missed your reply. Thanks - I’ll have look. 

GPN 30 Sep 2021

No problem. You need to wind the reach adjust all the way in to expose the screw.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...