UKC

Location sharing app

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A family member is on a cycling expedition abroad. Is there a location tracking/sharing app he can download (Android) so we can keep an eye on him and help keep hims safe?

Thanks all.

In reply to Phantom Disliker:

I use Life360 which is really good. Im Android and the family are all IOS. Works great.

In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

Thank you, this looks just the ticket.

Crazylegs 20 Aug 2020

I know this might not be suitable for an expedition but for day trips/rides, I use Whatsapp's "Share live location" feature and set for 8 hours.

In reply to Crazylegs:

Something that's "on" all the time would be good. He just sent me a link to something called Glympse which I think sends snapshots of his location just when he feels like it. Not ideal, really.

Its amazing how useful these things are. I use it for tracking my youngest but it has come in handy helping navigate my wife out of a few sticky situations too.

elsewhere 20 Aug 2020

Google maps on Android has a Location Sharing function.

It's the default Google Maps that came with the 'phone.

Post edited at 09:48
In reply to elsewhere:

Cheers, is that a snapshot or constantly updating (the share function on Google Maps)?

summo 20 Aug 2020

Those which are constant live tracking will have much heavier battery use, which might not be ideal depending how and where they are travelling. 

elsewhere 20 Aug 2020

> Cheers, is that a snapshot or constantly updating (the share function on Google Maps)?

Closer to constantly updating* but the person doing the viewing can click to request an update position if the last location record is too old.

*I've not experimented to find out how often it updates.

elsewhere 20 Aug 2020
In reply to summo:

> Those which are constant live tracking will have much heavier battery use, which might not be ideal depending how and where they are travelling. 

And use up mobile data which might be £££ depending on the contract and country.

summo 20 Aug 2020

As a family we use an app called smart family. A bit like a WhatsApp group, we send message or photos, it's also has a location and will show the battery level of the kids phones. There is no excuse!! 

Dave B 20 Aug 2020

It can be set to permanently on too. 

Use inbuilt functions whenever you can is my advice. Lower battery usage generally too. 

My wahoo also shares location, but is not as reliable as the Google one if it loses signal. 

All require some kind of signal to share. Also worth considering they get a plb which needs user activation, but so can the emergency services if they do get stuck in an urgent situation

Post edited at 11:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...