UKC

Lockdown cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Running and cycling are the two main forms of exercise that the government are still encouraging people to do. Perhaps it because its warmer and drier than compared to this time last month, but it seems there are more people than ever out on the roads and trails, which whatever way you look at it is good thing for the people doing it and the sport! 

One things that's puzzling me though is how far is too far? I live in Stirling on the edge of the Highland and before everything kicked off a typical Saturday ride for me would be a good few hours covering anything up to 100 miles or more. Some people say no more than an hour and stay within easy walking distance of home, others are going half way across the country still. Is there a middle ground? Apart from not going out with a group has anybody else changed their riding?

Post edited at 17:36
 kwoods 19 Apr 2020
In reply to Samuel Wainwright:

My riding only changed in that I went from walking every day to cycling every day at the end of March. I'll be one of those increased numbers that came out of nowhere! But otherwise I'd be in the hills or crags. 

Bought my first road bike last summer and incredibly glad that I did. 

Gerry 19 Apr 2020

As there's no traffic on the roads why is it necessary for cyclists to still ride on the pavement?

ScraggyGoat 19 Apr 2020

I'm taking a pragmatic approach and going out for as long as it takes to improve my cardiovascular fitness.  It might be several months post lockdown that you catch it and you could be significantly fitter, decreasing your chances of needing medical help.

The distance isn't the goal, it's the outcome.  Some days it's an hours hard blast, other days a long ride.

Post edited at 18:02
 Yanis Nayu 19 Apr 2020

Only by swerving across to the other side of the road when going past pedestrians and going to the middle of the road for a good while before and after overtaking another cyclist. And all solo. 

im off 19 Apr 2020

I'm like you. I'd go do 100 and can do without needing to stop anywhere. I've limited it to 50 ish miles. No reason why 50. I think if you're self sufficient.....go 100. Just self distance all the way.

nniff 19 Apr 2020
In reply to Gerry:

> As there's no traffic on the roads why is it necessary for cyclists to still ride on the pavement?

Because motorists still don't get that they should give you as much room as they can, not as little as they think they can get away with, even though there's virtually no traffic on the roads.  I didn't get as many close passes riding into London every day than I do on my new circular ride to work through the almost deserted country roads.  It is un.....................ing....believable.

In reply to im off:

Thanks kinda the conclusion I've come to. I normally take my own food and drink and have decided if I do break, not to do it on a bench and pick a verge where nobody else would think of sitting! 

kevin stephens 19 Apr 2020

The absence of cafe stops is a limit on duration of my rides. Instead of long rides I’m doing very hilly local rides, eg 1000m of climbing over 2 hours . Hopefully this sort of training will be helpful for when lockdown ends. Residents of some local villages are getting upset over large numbers of cyclists passing through. It would be better if they ride round the villages to avoid conflict and bad feeling.  If you can do this, avoid pedestrians, are fully self contained , don’t wear local club jerseys and don’t try for KOM descents  then I don’t see a limit on day rides

Run_Ross_Run 19 Apr 2020

Nope, haven't changed the length /duration, still cycling the same amount as this time last year. The only change I've made is taking more food and drink so that I don't have to stop. I'm a self sufficient rider anyway so have all the tools on me to fix roadside repairs. 

GrahamD 19 Apr 2020

I'm happy that I can do 100km and be self sufficient and not to far from home.  Beyond that I need a cafe !

Angry Bird 20 Apr 2020

At one of the government's Covid19 briefings the minister said that you should carry on doing what's the normal amount of exercise for you.  If you're usually doing 100km, carry on. Obviously fitter people are going to go further, be used to going further, and be going faster than the less fit ones. There's nothing in the guidance that says you can't go out for more than, say, an hour (or whatever other arbitrary time some self-appointed busy body thinks is reasonable). There was something about needing to go out rather than wanting to go out, which may be just semantics, but gives a commited amateur rider further justification, as you will need to be working that much harder to maintain your higher level of fitness. 

girlymonkey 20 Apr 2020

Don't go into shops, toilets etc. Ride where you want! The riding is not the risk. 

SFM 20 Apr 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Not strictly true. Riding increases your risk of injury and there are risks associated with that(seeking/needing medical attention etc).

Skyfall 20 Apr 2020

We live in a small village that is along a popular cycling route through the lanes.  Granted we now have less packs of inconsiderate cyclists but we are inundated with ones and twos. Doesn’t feel like lockdown here as a result due to the number of visitors, some of whom don’t follow social distancing.  

If we lived in the Lakes the local police (and population) would be up in arms.  Here there aren’t enough police to deal with burglaries (as we discovered).  I don’t think we do mind all that much really but it does seem very strange when we are trying not to travel far and use the roads unnecessarily, even to the next village, in case of accident etc.   

FinrodFelagund 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Skyfall:

> Granted we now have less packs of inconsiderate cyclists

May I ask what the 'packs' of cyclists do that is so inconsiderate?

*Grabs popcorn*

kevin stephens 20 Apr 2020
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

Err, at a guess not social distancing amongst themselves?

*puts popcorn away until finding a more contentious post*

Richard Horn 20 Apr 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

I think he was referring to pre-lockdown.

Of course car drivers sat in big queues absolutely everywhere blocking the road are not inconsiderate at all...

Dave Cundy 20 Apr 2020
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

Some might say that groups of cyclists are effectively sticking two fingers up to all those not fortunate enough to be able to go out for a nice ride.  Thus promoting a feeling of inequality and resentment.

*grabs a family pack of popcorn*

Blanche DuBois 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Dave Cundy:

Yes, odd how bouldering about six inches above the ground is viewed on these hallow pages as just about the most irresponsible thing you can do short of a mass orgy, due to the huge risk of injury and hospitalisation.  Yet cycling 100 miles on public roads is fine - no risks whatsoever.  And a cyclist in a previous thread bragging about cycling no hands down the middle of the road.  And another with a cyclist going downhill at, I seem to recall, around 50mph.  All fine, no censure.  But even dust your hands with chalk....

FinrodFelagund 20 Apr 2020

> Err, at a guess not social distancing amongst themselves?

> *puts popcorn away until finding a more contentious post*

Yeah I was referring to pre-lockdown.

> Granted we now have less packs of inconsiderate cyclists but we are inundated with ones and twos.

Skyfall talks about 'packs' of inconsiderate cyclists that apparently used to pass through his/her village.

Jon Greengrass 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Blanche DuBois:

Bouldering is viewed as irresponsible for the same reason that children's play parks are closed. To prevent infection from contaminated surfaces.

Cycling is fine as long as you aren't sharing bikes. I was surprised to read that the "Boris Bike"  scheme is still operating according to the TFL website, and promoting free access for NHS staff.

bigbobbyking 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> Bouldering is viewed as irresponsible for the same reason that children's play parks are closed. To prevent infection from contaminated surfaces.

That's definitely not the only justification given. Lots of talk of mountain rescue teams etc asking people not to go climbing because a call out to rescue someone involves a lot of people and is hard to do while respecting social distancing.

In reply to Skyfall:

inconsiderate cyclists or burglaries, what are you on about

Neil Williams 20 Apr 2020

I think a Boris bike is a bit different, as it's easy to wipe down the handlebars and saddle with antiseptic.  Wiping down an entire playground or every bit of rock you might touch rather less so.

Post edited at 11:49
 JLS 20 Apr 2020

>”Apart from not going out with a group has anybody else changed their riding?”

Yeah, have been avoiding my preferred, previously quiet, riverside cycle route due to the hoards of covid exercisers that now make that route unviable. Doing laps around a short 2 mile circuit near my home now. It’s a bit dull but I can blast around without worrying about fuelling as I’m never far from home and the hills come so frequently it forces a bit of effort. Tending just to do an hour but that’s mainly because I’m not really fit for much more...

peppermill 20 Apr 2020

>Apart from not going out with a group has anybody else changed their riding?

With the advice being stay at home and non-essential travel I have changed my riding. Going out and doing 40/50/60 miles just feels unnecessary at the moment and not exactly staying local, and if I can't do that it just feels pointless and I'd rather just go for a run for an hour or stick the bike on the turbo, which felt like a waste of £60 two years ago but it's come into it's own the past few weeks. 

Angry Bird 20 Apr 2020

> Apart from not going out with a group has anybody else changed their riding?

No, not really. Mountain biking, 1-2hrs per day, on local trails; all good.

GrahamD 20 Apr 2020

Back on the original question, I've definitely changed my cycling habits.

Ride more often, most days at the moment 

Ride alone or with MrsD, no riding with friends

All rides from the front door, no visiting other areas.

Rides generally shorter that I can do non stop without getting off the bike, so 100km absolute max.  No shops or garages for coffee and cake.

Still try to say hi to others out walking or cycling, though.  Seem to be a higher proportion of those out who aren't willing to acknowledge a greeting, which is a shame. 

TobyA 20 Apr 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Still try to say hi to others out walking or cycling, though.  Seem to be a higher proportion of those out who aren't willing to acknowledge a greeting, which is a shame.

That's interesting, over the last couple of weeks my experience has been everyone is super friendly - I actually mentioned precisely that in my 30 seconds of fame (actually 4 minutes!) when I got to read out my contribution to Radio 4's PM's "Corvid Chronicles" series last Friday (still available on BBC Sounds for all those who missed it! ). The friendliness had really made a big impression on me, which is why I wrote about it.

I rode a little bit further yesterday, just 90 minutes, but I've only been doing up to an hour so far. A few other cyclists weren't so effusive with their wave backs or return greetings, but maybe everyone there was a bit further from home so were grinding out the miles. But still most people were friendly. Very few cars so I think there's a strange community spirit amongst walkers, cyclists and horse riders currently of "well this is odd, but nice, isn't it?"

Tony the Blade 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Gerry:

> As there's no traffic on the roads why is it necessary for cyclists to still ride on the pavement?

Where do you live that has no traffic on the roads? I don't expect you to answer, I guess you enjoy trolling.

In answer to your question based on there being fewer cars (as opposed to none), car drivers now use the lanes as a closed road, probably watched one too many Top Gear programmes. I've had fewer close passes, but some of them have been at way beyond the limit for that road.

Lankyman 20 Apr 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

> Still try to say hi to others out walking or cycling, though.  Seem to be a higher proportion of those out who aren't willing to acknowledge a greeting, which is a shame. 

I don't cycle but have seen plenty out when my walks take me along the roads. Most cyclists (but not all) do move further out to avoid me - maybe I just look like a dangerous psychopath? I even get a cheery wave which adds a little to the feeling of general solidarity.

Yanis Nayu 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Yes, I move right away from pedestrians and a friendly wave and acknowledgement generally takes place between us which is nice. 

TobyA 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Yes, I move right away from pedestrians and a friendly wave and acknowledgement generally takes place between us which is nice. 

Exactly the same experience here. People seem to both get what you are doing and are thankful for it. 

Gerry 20 Apr 2020
In reply to nniff:

So because some cars pass closer than you would like it's OK for you to break the law and put pedestrians at risk?

RobertHepburn 20 Apr 2020

Most of my cycling is/has been off road, in the 1 - 3 hour range.

Been getting out more than normal at this time of year and building some good fitness.

I have switched off strava and am taking it easy in the descents, and not doing the more tricky ones. Shame as I have a new enduro bike which goes like a rocket and was wanting to do some personal bests .

I always carry a bit of food, but carrying extra water on longer rides.

Miss my friends, especially Thursday evening mountain bike ride followed by a pint and pub dinner.

Seen lots of people out who obviously don't cycle much, good to see but wish more of them had helmets!

I think this will lead to an upsurge in people cycling and walking after this is all over.

im off 20 Apr 2020

I suggest you go bouldering. Go for a walk that includes a low level traverse. I suspect most people wont care. Dont post about it on here tho or you'll be slaughtered.

I'm missing the orgies most. When do you think you'll be able to start these up again.

Swirly 20 Apr 2020
In reply to TobyA:

> when I got to read out my contribution to Radio 4's PM's "Corvid Chronicles" series last Friday (still available on BBC Sounds for all those who missed it! ).

Giving them the bird doesn't seem particularly friendly I've noticed that I get less response from other cyclists at the moment, on the other hand the people who seem to be walking on lanes miles from anywhere tend to say hi.

nniff 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Gerry:

> So because some cars pass closer than you would like it's OK for you to break the law and put pedestrians at risk?

Take the 'you' out of that and we might have a sensible conversation. 

Reluctant as I am to feed the trolls,  some cyclists ride on the pavement because they don't feel safe on the road, because too many drivers are careless with other people's lives.  On the other hand, some cyclists are clowns who ride on pavements because they don't care.  In terms of 'at risk', it is worth comparing the number of pedestrians killed and seriously injured by cars and cyclists, as well as the number of cyclists KSI by cars. 

Having been an innocent party in a hit and run while riding my bike, let me assure you that it is a really, really bad day out.  Let me put that into context for you - lying stunned in the road, can't get up, can't walk, bike smashed, bleeding, torn clothing and the person who did it just f*cked off into the distance.  And no, it wasn't a 'momentary lapse of judgement' - turned out that the driver was known to the police had aliases etc.  but that's a long story.  Another driver had the decency to stop and make a statement to the police.

Nevertheless, I don't ride on the pavement, but I fear close passes.  I ride 6,000 miles a year - about the same as I did in the car last year.  

When they allowed FPN to be issued for riding on the pavement in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

TobyA 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Swirly:

I'm blaming that on autocorrect on my phone! 😀

Hooo 20 Apr 2020

Today I went for my first fun bike ride since lockdown started (excluding legitimate trips to buy food and medicine). I have been running instead just to reduce the risk of me ending up in hospital, but after seeing how many people are out and about I just thought I'd join them. I did feel a bit guilty, I'm not sure I'm going to make a regular thing of it. 

I rode 45 mins to my local crag to take a look, was polite to the couple sunbathing and the families who'd driven there. Didn't see any climbers. Rode home. 

Enty 20 Apr 2020

A friend of mine in a village in the north east heard a bit of commotion on Saturday morning at the end of his road. He went out to see what was going on and there were three cyclists there. One was on the floor, a bit bashed up, he was concious but not moving. My mate asked if they needed any help and the other two replied "no thanks mate, he's comfortable and the ambulance is on it's way."

E

wilkesley 20 Apr 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Most of my rides are around 2hrs. I cycle through one small town and collect some shopping on the way round. The rest is on country roads with only tractors and the occasional walker from a cottage. Almost all cyclists wave as do most of the pedestrians. I have encountered a couple of riders who were probably after getting a KOM, or a personal best. The almost complete lack of traffic must make this easier. However, they were on almost deserted country lanes and not riding dangerously, so I don't think that should be a problem. 

Angry Bird 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Enty:

> A friend of mine in a village in the north east heard a bit of commotion on Saturday morning at the end of his road. He went out to see what was going on and there were three cyclists there. One was on the floor, a bit bashed up, he was concious but not moving. My mate asked if they needed any help and the other two replied "no thanks mate, he's comfortable and the ambulance is on it's way."

> E

Yeah... ...your point being, exactly? Accidents will still happen; around the home, commuters, at work, exercising. I doubt the unfortunate cyclist involved deliberately had an accident just to get a ride in an ambulance, and go to a medical facility where his chance of picking up coronavirus is higher than it would be otherwise. 

kevin stephens 20 Apr 2020
In reply to Angry Bird:

Check out Enty’s profile and cycling business before jumping to conclusions 

Blanche DuBois 21 Apr 2020

> Bouldering is viewed as irresponsible for the same reason that children's play parks are closed. To prevent infection from contaminated surfaces.

Odd then that the various threads discussing this seem to focus, almost exclusively, on the impact any injuries might have the NHS. 

GrahamD 21 Apr 2020

> Odd then that the various threads discussing this seem to focus, almost exclusively, on the impact any injuries might have the NHS. 

In my case, it's the fact that the majority would have to get in a car to go shouldering.  Aside from the slight injury risk whilst actually shouldering and the fact that bouldering isn't really a CV exercise in any case.  Bit like fishing in that respect. 

JamButty 21 Apr 2020

I'm cycling more than usual this time of year,  going into work as well as social trips. The group I cycle with came up with a novel idea.  About 10 of us live scattered around the local town.  We've been designing routes 30km or so,  via or close to everyones house.  So you set off clockwise from your house and follow the route.  You don't see your mates typically,  but a skype coffee at the end,  you can discuss the nasty hills that someone sneaked into the routes.

Its working really well.  Next plan is a few out and backs so you get to shout abuse across the road to fellow groupies.

LastBoyScout 21 Apr 2020

I'm currently doing around 30-35 miles at a time, in some sort of loop around where I live, aiming to stay within about 10 miles of home.

I'm limited more by time than anything else - I'd like to get longer rides in to improve overall fitness.

I'm certainly not doing something like a 70 mile out and back, which I'm capable of, which could take me up to 35 miles from home.

Angry Bird 22 Apr 2020

> Check out Enty’s profile and cycling business before jumping to conclusions 

OK... ...and? I wasn't jumping to any conclusions, and certainly not commenting on his cycling business. The point is accidents can happen. If you don't think you should be doing something at this time, great! The rest of us will make up our own mind about risks, rights and responsibilities.

Ciao.

Angry Bird 26 Apr 2020
In reply to nniff:

> "...sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Something that this lockdown has proved them to be completely incapable of doing. From chief officers threatening to go through people's shopping, to officers (on camera) threatening to invent evidence, many of us have seen a very different side to them in recent weeks, going far beyond what the government intended. Indeed the overzealous ones have needed to be reined in repeatedly by politicians. 

I'm a law abiding citizen, and never had any involvement with the criminal justice system, but as an MR volunteer I've worked with them for twenty years. My faith in them has been eroded in twenty days. 

off-duty 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Angry Bird:

> Something that this lockdown has proved them to be completely incapable of doing. From chief officers threatening to go through people's shopping, to officers (on camera) threatening to invent evidence, many of us have seen a very different side to them in recent weeks, going far beyond what the government intended. Indeed the overzealous ones have needed to be reined in repeatedly by politicians. 

> I'm a law abiding citizen, and never had any involvement with the criminal justice system, but as an MR volunteer I've worked with them for twenty years. My faith in them has been eroded in twenty days. 

I'm pretty disappointed if 20 years of positive experience is eroded in 20 days based on literally a handful of widely shared stories involving individual cops. Interesting use of the plural as well -

"chief officerS"- ONE Chief used some very ill chosen words (now repeatedly stated that his officers will not be checking trolleys)

"OfficerS" - ONE Lancs cop making those stupid comments, now suspended.

There are over 100,000 cops and also many stories of them going above and beyond to assist vulnerable people, or attempt to alleviate the lockdown for kids.

MG 26 Apr 2020
In reply to off-duty:

> "chief officerS"- ONE Chief used some very ill chosen words (now repeatedly stated that his officers will not be checking trolleys)

Sort of. The response was actually "To clarify some suggestions made in the media, we absolutely will NOT be searching people's shopping trolleys in Northamptonshire."

The media weren`t suggesting anything but reporting his words. So the withdrawal itself is a classic sorry not sorry. 

> "OfficerS" - ONE Lancs cop making those stupid comments, now suspended.

With several others watching quite happy with this approach. How many more times without someone filming?? 

These sorts of incidents do make me question what it's like being a "usual suspect" in normal times with the police.

off-duty 26 Apr 2020
In reply to MG:

> Sort of. The response was actually "To clarify some suggestions made in the media, we absolutely will NOT be searching people's shopping trolleys in Northamptonshire."

> The media weren`t suggesting anything but reporting his words. So the withdrawal itself is a classic sorry not sorry. 

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it could have been improved with a "sorry". Watching the original briefing I got the impression he allowed himself to get carried away when describing the type of activity that concerned him, then when he concluded the "shopping trolley" comment was wrapped up within his comments about how they might have to start enforcing.

Regardless of the rightness or wrongness of his remarks, the point remains it was one comment by one chief constable who subsequently made it quite clear that this would NOT be happening.

> With several others watching quite happy with this approach. How many more times without someone filming?? 

> These sorts of incidents do make me question what it's like being a "usual suspect" in normal times with the police.

I've seen this spin put on by several commentators. The cop was an idiot. He appears to have been dealing with an idiot. He allowed himself to get wound up with no legal powers against someone who wasn't backing down. He made a stupid threat that could end up being career changing/ending.

Reactions from his colleagues may well have included "What a prick", "He's just made us look like idiots", "I hate working with him he has the communication skills of a carrot", "Haha, he barely even takes his pen out to deal with his own prisoners, the thought of him fitting someone up is laughable" etc...

Important to draw a distinction as well between someone saying something however stupid and actually trying to do that thing. And a conditional threat like he made can be very empty. Especially in these days of bodycam.  First question - defendant denies the offence - no bodycam? It'll be dropped.

Regardless - he was "at best" unprofessional. But as lovely as it might be to imagine it,this is about a million miles away from a nice bent police narrative of a team of bent cops discussing how they are going to fit up a suspect, and then doing it.

Post edited at 15:33
 PaulW 26 Apr 2020
In reply to off-duty:

I think in general the police have done a great job.

Considering the amount of discussion and argument on this forum about what the regulations and guidelines mean it must have been almost impossible for them to turn up at work, have a short briefing and then go out and try to make it fit with what people were doing. And that's before the guidelines changed half way through their shift.

Yes sure there were a few examples where they got it wrong but the fact that they were so newsworthy shows how rare they were.

fred99 26 Apr 2020
In reply to off-duty:

> Reactions from his colleagues may well have included "What a prick", "He's just made us look like idiots", "I hate working with him he has the communication skills of a carrot", "Haha, he barely even takes his pen out to deal with his own prisoners, the thought of him fitting someone up is laughable" etc...

But why didn't other Officers deal with him at the time. Why did they wait until it went viral (if you'll excuse the pun).

It implies that they would have let him carry on with such behaviour. Unfortunately I have personally seen such behaviour, but without the advantage of having it filmed and then made public, so I do wonder just how prevalent it is, and just how often it takes place (unseen and unreported).

off-duty 26 Apr 2020
In reply to fred99:

> But why didn't other Officers deal with him at the time. Why did they wait until it went viral (if you'll excuse the pun).

> It implies that they would have let him carry on with such behaviour. Unfortunately I have personally seen such behaviour, but without the advantage of having it filmed and then made public, so I do wonder just how prevalent it is, and just how often it takes place (unseen and unreported).

What, specifically, would you like them to have done?

MG 26 Apr 2020
In reply to off-duty:

Intervene and explain to the person that wouldn't happen

Report his behaviour to HR or whatever 

Report his behaviour to whatever profession  body the police belong to (is this not a professional requirement?) . 

krikoman 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Gerry:

So they can gulp in the airborn virus from the walkers in front.

Bit annoyed how many people I see riding without helmets, when the main justification for not climbing is the danger of injuries putting strain on hospitals..

joem 26 Apr 2020
In reply to GripsterMoustache:

Could it be that that reasoning was utter bollocks? 

GrahamD 26 Apr 2020
In reply to Angry Bird:

> Something that this lockdown has proved them to be completely incapable of ..

Have you any idea at all what a shit hand the average Bobby has been dealt here ? Front line NHS workers get free pizza down our road, whilst equally dedicated and hard working police have to put up with this sort of shit.

GrahamD 26 Apr 2020

> Bit annoyed how many people I see riding without helmets, when the main justification for not climbing is the danger of injuries putting strain on hospitals..

No it isn't.  It's because most people have to get in a car to go climbing,  most people do not climb alone and climbing isn't CV exercise in any case. 

No excuse for not wearing a lid on a bike, obviously 

In reply to GrahamD:

> No it isn't.  It's because most people have to get in a car to go climbing,  most people do not climb alone and climbing isn't CV exercise in any case. 

That argument no longer exists since the police came out with their guidelines saying driving to exercise is permitted as long as you spend longer exercising than travelling. 

There's also no need to exercise alone, nor has there ever been. You can exercise with people from your household.

And I don't remember the government or police limiting exercise to CV exercise. Besides, climbing is certainly more CV than the leisurely strolls everyone's taking..

In reply to Angry Bird:

> My faith in them has been eroded in twenty days. 

Sadly, reporters always focus on the shit side of life.

They're not reporting the incidences of police waving cheerfully to cyclists that I'm reading on  my small social media presence.

GrahamD 27 Apr 2020

The police came out with no such guidelines to the public.  Their internal guidelines are the line they might consider taking action, not what is right (stay at home, etc)

In reply to GrahamD:

What's 'right' is a massively wishy washy concept, and completely subjective. If you defer decision making to 'what's right' then you defer it to peoples individual opinions. 

deepsoup 27 Apr 2020

> Bit annoyed how many people I see riding without helmets

Good work there keeping it real with a more traditional buzz of judgemental self-righteousness, while most of the curtain-twitchers have moved on to tutting at people not getting their social distancing right. 

I bet it feels oddly quaint now doesn't it, like still talking about brexit or climate change?

nufkin 27 Apr 2020

>  You can exercise with people from your household.

The cycling industry is predicated on the notion that people are willing to spend astonishing amounts of money specifically to avoid spending time with people from their household

fred99 27 Apr 2020
In reply to off-duty:

> What, specifically, would you like them to have done?

Exactly what MG at 20:16 on Sunday said.

GrahamD 27 Apr 2020

> What's 'right' is a massively wishy washy concept, and completely subjective. If you defer decision making to 'what's right' then you defer it to peoples individual opinions. 

We rely on people making 'right' choices every day. It really shouldn't be that hard in this case given the government guidelines.

Martin Wood 28 Apr 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Actually I think there are several reasons for choosing not to wear a helmet: perception of car drivers, discomfort (especially on hot days), that "wind in the hair" feeling, fashion. I seldom do except for club runs and wet rides (road). Nonetheless, I must admit I've been more cautious recently on fast downhills. 

The evidence for/against helmets is mixed and thus debated. Depends where you draw it from. Surgical evidence that helmets protect against head, brain and facial injuries has been well established. Public health weighs up the risk of head injury versus reducing exercise. While social science drills down on perceptions of risk (e.g. more/less risk taking behaviour)

Post edited at 16:20
 GrahamD 28 Apr 2020
In reply to Martin Wood:

I think the perception of risk is pretty important at the moment,  and I don't mean the cyclist's perception!

Roadrunner6 29 Apr 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

The executive order for Maine stay at home is pretty simple, stay at home apart from essential reasons to leave which include outdoor activities (cycling, walking running), but they even mention fishing. Which is very Maine.

I think the UK (possibly just Bojo) with all these extra guidelines (once a day, one hour, not more than 5 or is 10 miles from home, or is it just a 4-5 hour bike ride). Is the NHS under that much stress anymore that even a broken chain could be the final straw? 

This is now going to last for at least 6 months. We'll relax the group sizes I think but most cyclists don't go that far. 

The aim is just to not overwhelm the health care, if cases are flat or decreasing and the healthcare can cope (here we have plenty of bed space in most of the country), I'm not sure you need to target outdoor activities so much.

MG 29 Apr 2020
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> I think the UK (possibly just Bojo) with all these extra guidelines (once a day, one hour, not more than 5 or is 10 miles from home, or is it just a 4-5 hour bike ride).

It’s basically Wales, not the UK, with all the fiddly additional  rules.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...