UKC

Looking for an outside bike lockup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulJepson 10 Sep 2020

The market seems to be absolutely saturated and I have no idea what is good or not. Looking for something quite compact for a front garden that will store 2 road bikes.

Criteria is:

• Not too expensive. I know you can spend a grand on these things but my bike is cheap and I am poor. 
  • Secure. 
  • Preferably quite lightweight and metal, easy to put up and take down (I have a shared garden and there is a good chance I will move with it, otherwise I would just build a wooden structure myself). 

Something like this would work: https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61%2B5AMDBk6L.jpg

Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks!

Post edited at 15:36
 lumu_tit 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Metal bike stores that are secure you are looking at 400 quid plus; Tricky to get second hand (at least from my experience). The one in your picture retails for 650quid. They are really good though!

Perhaps a cheaper wood shed and a motorcycle ground anchor and chain from a reputable manufacturer will suffice on a budget. 

Swig 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

I think your picture is an Asgard one? £450 from their website currently I reckon. 

We've got a larger (can stand up in it) one - loads of screws so it would take a fair bit of disassembly.

I'd say their quality is good - but price and moveability might be a problem. 

OP PaulJepson 10 Sep 2020
In reply to lumu_tit:

I thought that might be the case but have seen galvanised ones for ~£200 also. Just don't know if a stiff breeze will blow it over!

lumu_tit 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Be fine in a stiff breeze but a pair of tin snips would cut a hole through I suspect.

ChrisJD 10 Sep 2020
In reply to lumu_tit:

Wooden sheds aren't cheap though.

Dom Connaway 10 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

Lumu is right in saying that snips will go through metal sheet pretty easily; and as a for a battery powered angle-grinder...noisy but takes a lot less than 60 seconds. You might well find that a well built timber shed would deter a would-be thief for at least as long, possibly a fair bit longer. 

To give you an idea of cost, I built a shed for our new bike for £250. The bike is a beast so the shed is 3m long; yours would be cheaper. Construction is standard stud wall framing double clad in OSB, inside layer screwed to frame; outside glued to inside to conceal screws. 

OP PaulJepson 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Dom Connaway:

Thanks! What kind of door system?  

Dom Connaway 13 Sep 2020
In reply to PaulJepson:

> Thanks! What kind of door system?  

The door on mine is the end wall of the shed, bottom hinged so it becomes a ramp when open. Two mortice locks, one each side, about 2/3s of the way up the door with their keeps cut into the stud frame. To stop someone getting a pry bar to the edge of the door the door is inset so that its inside face is flush with the back face of the studding. 

Since the end of the shed doesn't support the structure I've reinforced the frames with knees set into the top and bottom corners on each side. Nothing fancy just short sections of studding chopped at 45 degrees each end and screwed into the corners. 

Post edited at 09:23

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...