UKC

Love (of cycling) in the Time of Coronavirus

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rog Wilko 28 Mar 2020

I was out for a spin yesterday afternoon and I can honestly say I saw more cyclists (and people riding bikes) than I have ever seen in the nearly 20 years I've been resident in this area. Also lots of people just walking along rural roads. Did people need reminding they can or should take exercise? Have they reached the end of their list of things to do at home and finally reached the last item, "take exercise"? If this goes on the population will on average be fitter than ever before by the end of the virus crisis.

girlymonkey 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

There will be an element of some people always cycled but maybe not so much from home? Some maybe cycled at the weekend only but now have time to do so most days?

But yes, I think there is more cycling and running going on and I think for many this is something they don't often do. Maybe just that they have more time, it's being suggested and the other distractions aren't open.

We will be a healthier nation if people keep it up, along side pubs and MacDonalds etc being closed. Will it continue after though? I guess even if a percentage of people keep it up it has to be a good thing

gezebo 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I’ve been out on my bike the over last couple of days. I normally do about 150km a week or so. Not huge distances but enough. I’ve noticed loads more people walking and cycling too. Interestingly the regulars are all quite friendly and shout hello or wave and the not so regulars avoid eye contact and pull a scarf up over their face. Quite amusing really. 

Sean Kelly 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Fitter, yes. Apart from the percentage that die from the virus!

Of course the other + is that everyone's garden will look lovely and lawns well manicured.

Post edited at 15:47
 girlymonkey 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Of course the other + is that everyone's garden will look lovely and lawns well manicured.

And they will have had extra trips to A and E for accidents with all the tools they are not used to using!! I passed a couple of old guys today cutting down a dead tree in the garden. A big tree. Neither had any safety kit, one was using the chainsaw and the other had a ratchet strap around to top of the tree to pull it over. I cycled away promptly before I had to witness the result!

My husband is a landscape gardener by trade, and normally doesnt do much in our garden once he gets home. He's now out there most days and it's going to look great by the end of the lockdown! 😊

Post edited at 16:08
 JHiley 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

There's some speculation (it looks like little more than that so far) that cardiovascular fitness may be one of the biggest factors influencing coronavirus outcomes. I'd been worried that all the 'stay at home' and 'stay out of the countryside' advice might lead to most people sitting on the sofa and then being more susceptible if they catch anyway. It's good if people are making an effort to exercise while still social distancing. I guess shutting all the pubs might have meant they're doing it out of sheer boredom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856

Richard Horn 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

If we can introduce a few more people to cycling through this, then that will help in the time when coronavirus has been and gone but the climate change challenges remain.

Luke90 28 Mar 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Will it continue after though? I guess even if a percentage of people keep it up it has to be a good thing

I reckon a decent percentage might keep it up. Almost everybody intends to get regular exercise or at least recognises it as a good thing to do. The biggest barriers are often around getting started rather than carrying on once you've got into the habit.

Lord_ash2000 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

>  I saw more cyclists (and people riding bikes) than I have ever seen in the nearly 20 years I've been resident in this area. 

I've noticed similar around me, lots more people out than normal and if my Strava feed is anything to go off, lots of people who hardly ever ride digging the old bikes out of the shed and giving it a go again.

Can only be a good thing really, provided they don't get taken down by Corona virus. I think it's just because they have one chance to go outside people are embracing it and that can't be a bad thing. Hopefully it'll develop a habit and have lasting effects post lockdown.

Post edited at 16:58
 olddirtydoggy 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I used to ride at club level and got tired of it after many years but we've switched to cycling whilst this virus is active. I wonder how many other sports and pass times have made the switch for now. As much I enjoy spinning pedals, I'll be back on the rock as soon as restrictions are lifted.

Sean Kelly 28 Mar 2020
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Climbing's loss is cycling gain. Unfortunately down here in Devon it is quite hilly and my wife is talking electric as far as cycling is concerned.

Robert Durran 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> I was out for a spin yesterday afternoon and I can honestly say I saw more cyclists (and people riding bikes) than I have ever seen in the nearly 20 years I've been resident in this area. Also lots of people just walking along rural roads. Did people need reminding they can or should take exercise? Have they reached the end of their list of things to do at home and finally reached the last item, "take exercise"? If this goes on the population will on average be fitter than ever before by the end of the virus crisis.

I think it is probably just a matter of people who normally get outside a bit and walk around in their normal lives are now having to specifically go out to get some fresh air and exercise. Ironically, I've probably spent more time outside this week than any other week this year apart from a sport climbing week abroad. Just going out for a daily evening walk locally (I'm lucky enough to have lovely places near my house) I've walked about 50 miles this week - not sure when I last did that!

Dr.S at work 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Of course the other + is that everyone's garden will look lovely and lawns well manicured.

My back garden is getting absolutely ragged! One six year old, one football, a goal - and soon no grass!

Pedro50 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Was it you credited by Chris Maslanka today?

petegunn 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

large percentage of folks out that usually use the gyms, going for a ride or run instead. I doubt many have cross trainers or muti gyms in their house but most will own a bicycle.

Ceiriog Chris 28 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Recent beautiful weather probably helped, but same here in N E Wales, loads of folk out and about on bikes. Does make you wonder what will peoples attitude be once its all over, in the main people will probably just go back to shallow activities like shopping, washing their cars and so on, but a few might realise there's something to be said for a simpler less complicated life

olddirtydoggy 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Ceiriog Chris:

A friend of mine said exactly this today. We will see.

GrahamD 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Obviously a number of factors last week; nice weather, fewer cars on roads and families forced to be at home together.

I'm steeling myself for this being the last day of freedom, though.

Mr Fuller 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

One factor is number of cars on the road. I cycle to work every day and am a pretty keen rider for fun, and the roads even in Manchester are now great to ride because of the lack of cars. You feel (and are) safer, you can look around a bit, it's less noisy and the air is clearer. It's the same when walking too - no trucks hurtling past and far less noise and bustle. It is the best advert I've ever seen for basically banning cars for all but essential journeys.

This paper released this week is a huge step in the right direction: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/creating-the-transport-decarboni...

OP Rog Wilko 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

> Was it you credited by Chris Maslanka today?

It might have been, as I have sent in a couple of items recently, but I am only doing emergency shopping at the moment so didn't get yesterday's paper. Maybe you could email it to me somehow, if you can be bothered.

the sheep 29 Mar 2020
In reply to Rog Wilko:

I really like a solo run on the trails but also belong to the same run group as my wife. They are on the whole social road runners. It’s interesting to see how many are now out on the trails too in an effort to keep away from others. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...