UKC

Master chain links

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 12 Jun 2017

Anyone have any opinions or experience on using a third party master link on a 10-speed chain?Specifically in this instance, a Shimano HG54 4700/Deore/SLX HGX 10-speed chain? The main options seem to be SRAM, KMC and Connex. SRAM seems pretty certain that its 10-speed Powerlock can't be re-used, which seems to miss the point rather. KMC doesn't seem so coy as SRAM about its link being used on other people's chains (rumour has it that KMC makes a lot of Shimano's chains anyway) but the closure mechanism doesn't look as secure as the Connex. On the other hand, the Connex design looks like it might be able to foul some parts of the drivetrain - and it seems to be difficult to get hold of.

So: which one works like a charm and/or which one kill me, the bike, or both the first time I use it?
Post edited at 23:17
 radar 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Used all 3 with various chains and never had any issues. Currently running Connex on an Ultegra 10 speed, a KMC on an Ultegra 10 speed, and I think a SRAM (might be another Connex) on some blingy anodised gold 9 speed chain (couldn't get hold of a Dura Ace 9 speed at the time). The single use ones can be used again (invest in some Park chain pliers, makes the world a better place as less swearing is involved trying to fit/remove a masterlink).
I believe Shimano have just brought out/announced a master link (about blooming time) if you are concerned about compatibility.
 petenebo 13 Jun 2017
In reply to radar:

> (invest in some Park chain pliers, makes the world a better place as less swearing is involved trying to fit/remove a masterlink).

>This is good advice. I fitted a KMC link this afternoon, to a 105 11 speed. Without the pliers it's quite a battle.
 Yanis Nayu 13 Jun 2017
In reply to radar:

Iirc that's just for 11 speed chains.
cb294 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Connex all the way, just changed shortened the chain on my wife's bike by one link, negligible hassle.

CB
 Greasy Prusiks 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

I've reused sram ones, never had any issues.
 nniff 13 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Used them all and never had a problem and can't tell them apart in practice. Opening them with a pair of standard pliers is easy enough
 Michael-H 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Have only used, and (re-used) the KMC ones, on both Shimano and KMC chains, on the Mtn bike, cross bike and road bike, they get a bit looser to reconnect after being removed 3 or 4 times to give the chain a thorough clean, but I have never had one come apart, I use some 8 quid KMC pliers from Decathlon to remove them, and just apply pedal pressure to snap them together, they're cheap enough to replace when they've been re-used a few times and become a bit loose and too easy to click together.
 ebdon 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

I can confirm you cant re use the 10spd sram ones allthough (well at least i cant if anyone can let me know!) others speed ones are fine curruntly using kmc with no issues.
 Dark-Cloud 15 Jun 2017
In reply to Martin W:

Just do yourself a favour and sack off Shimano chains for KMC, the only chains I have ever had fail on me have been Shimano, never heard that KMC make them for Shimano though, I can however believe it but I have never been a fan of whatever it is that Shimano do with chains of they own or others manufacture.
 Al_Mac 16 Jun 2017
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

The Shimano XT/XTR spec chains are awesome and definitely better than anything SRAM have ever managed to produce. SRAM powerlinks however, are awesome. You can actually use 9spd gold links on 10spd chains if you like an easier life. I usually use 10spd ones on the chain but carry 9sp in case of emergency as you don't need the pliers to install them properly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...