UKC

Merckx Bikes - Anyone got one?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ianstevens 13 Aug 2018

As per the title really. Looking at picking up a Merckx frame and just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? What are they like/worth it?

Post edited at 10:22
Rigid Raider 13 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Which frame is it? Can't you find any reviews online? 

In the end modern carbon farmes are engineered for the intended market so if it's a standard road frame it will be comfortable and a reasonable weight; what makes quite a difference is the quality and hence stiffness and weight of the wheels.

OP ianstevens 13 Aug 2018
In reply to Rigid Raider:

It's the TT frame I'm interested in - a 2017 model. Nope, no reviews online... hence why I'm a little reluctant to take the plunge. No way I can look at it in person either. 

I'm just looking at the frameset as I already have all the other bits on my current TT bike - so no change in wheels etc. Just trying to get an idea on the frame quality, and where they sit in the grand scheme. Currently rocking a Plant X Exocet (original!) frame FWIW.

Edit: should add for context I am not a novice bike rider/purchaser 

Post edited at 10:58
Rigid Raider 13 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Is it the Lugano frame?  If it's for TTs surely all you want is stiffness and as much aero efficiency as possible?  It's not as if you are going to be riding all day and wanting a comfortable position. I know very little about Eddy Merckx bikes but I think I'd rather ride one made by them (or under their control in Taiwan) than one made by Planet X as I reckon their kit is built down to a price.

Edit: Have you tried asking on Cycle Chat? 

Post edited at 11:08

> Is it the Lugano frame?  If it's for TTs surely all you want is stiffness and as much aero efficiency as possible?  It's not as if you are going to be riding all day and wanting a comfortable position. I know very little about Eddy Merckx bikes but I think I'd rather ride one made by them (or under their control in Taiwan) than one made by Planet X as I reckon their kit is built down to a price.

> Edit: Have you tried asking on Cycle Chat? 

That's the ticket! You haven't seen my TT times... But in all seriousness yes, you're right - I want the stiffest, most aero thing possible. I also have little knowledge and I guess this is really what I was after - are they PX made to a price (i.e. cheap) or is that more secondary to quality? (I know you don't know the answer).

That's a new one to me - will have a look about!

Edit: cheers for the input, appreciated

Post edited at 11:40
 The New NickB 13 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

Surely a Merckx TT should just be a standard road bike? 

Sorry, no help. I assume it is the frame that Merlin are selling.

In reply to The New NickB:

> Surely a Merckx TT should just be a standard road bike? 

> Sorry, no help. I assume it is the frame that Merlin are selling.

You assumed correctly

lpretro1 13 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

We built one of these up for a customer a few months back - tbh we were not impressed. Frame felt poor quality and not well finished.  The seatpost fitment was particularly poor & this is a crucial weak point IMO - poor design with a horrible little wedge to secure it.  Be aware you need to cut the seatpost down unless you need it all the way out - or it snags on the frame where it narrows. It is also a BB30 bottom bracket - future creaking issues need to be considered! We used a KCNC unit as the customer was fitting a Shimano crankset to help minimise the possibility. There is a reason why these are being sold off cheap - think about it

In reply to lpretro1:

Super helpful, much appreciated and pretty much confirmed what I thought may be the case. 

Thanks The search continues!

Rigid Raider 15 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

By way of a footnote few bike mechanics realise that BB30s creak because the 30mm axle flexes microscopically inside the inner bearing races. Most blame the creaking on the bearings moving in the sleeves glued into the frame. It can be prevented simply by smearing bearing fit compound on the axle at the drive end and inside the bearing at the non-drive side so that the compound stands the best chance of not being wiped off as you insert the axle. This cures the creak until the next time you remove the crankset.

cb294 15 Aug 2018

Good to know! Will give it a try on my cyclocross bike.

Thanks, CB

Yanis Nayu 15 Aug 2018
In reply to ianstevens:

I would’ve thought you’d want more stiffness in a road bike than a TT bike - in a road race even I regularly hit 900-1200w, whereas even Alex Dowsett “only” does 400ish in a TT. Or is it a comfort issue?

OP ianstevens 15 Aug 2018
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

That. I want my road bike to be comfy for the 99% of the time I'm not smashing out 900W, and the sacrifice is stiffness. TT positions are inherently uncomfortable anyway, so I'd rather have a stiffer frame.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...