UKC

Moore Large auctions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 22 May 2023

Has anyone looked at the Moore Large auctions for good deals on bikes? I'm possibly in the market for a new mountain bike and I wonder if there might be genuine bargains available.

LastBoyScout 22 May 2023
In reply to tony:

My experience of public auctions of bikes is that, unless you are into very old, classic bikes, the bikes on offer are generally wrecks. Often ones that the police have recovered but been unable to reunite with owners.

That's not to say you won't possibly get lucky, but you need to know what you're looking at/for.

That said, I did once go to an auction where a triathlon shop had closed down - but then word had got around and so had every other bike nut in the area, so there was a lot of competition for the good stuff.

Post edited at 10:57
 gethin_allen 22 May 2023
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> My experience of public auctions of bikes is that, unless you are into very old, classic bikes, the bikes on offer are generally wrecks. Often ones that the police have recovered but been unable to reunite with owners.

> That's not to say you won't possibly get lucky, but you need to know what you're looking at/for.

The auction in question is an insolvency auction so it will mainly be new stock or used business equipment

gethin_allen 22 May 2023
In reply to tony:

I had a look at the first few rounds of sales and most of the bikes were odd, low brand items selling for prices that could be considered good if they were exactly what you wanted and you were getting them from a shop with the associated service etc. but not so great that they would tempt you into getting something purely because they were cheap and especially so when you have to pay fees and sort delivery.

There was supposedly tens of thousands of items so maybe things are still going and there are better items coming through.

Harry Jarvis 22 May 2023
In reply to gethin_allen:

I've just had a look and the range at the moment is quite limited, and a couple of brand names I don't recognise. There are lots of kids bikes at the moment, and some nice looking Forme gravel bikes, but that's not what I'm looking for. I may keep checking in to see if the offers change, but I suspect I might have left it a bit late. 

gethin_allen 22 May 2023
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

If you live near the auction houses you can probably pick up a few reasonable accessories but it's just not worth the effort in a lot of cases

mike123 22 May 2023
In reply to tony: not sure if this is relavent , don’t know about Moore auctions but  I’ve had a couple of bike bargains off eBay recently and was just looking  at a cube gravel bike that a mate Just got off gumtree - mint , bobbles on the tyres etc , crucially -original receipt , £400 for a £1500 bike . In all the above cases the I think the key was they were collection only . It got me wondering wether the lockdown boredom bikes were finally coming to market ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...