UKC

MTB or none MTB winter boots for biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 r.greaves 11 Sep 2020

Hi,

I'm looking for a winter flat MTB trail / xc mid boot, I keep trawling sights but apart from 5.10, which I wear in summer and still slip around in my local muddy and leafy wooded trails....I'm looking at alternatives, obvious warm and dry as possible, was considering something from Salomon GTX range......any experience...

Rich

jethro kiernan 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

I use a pair of MTB sealskins socks with my 5:10, I’ve only just started using them but happy so far.

ebdon 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

I've experimented with lots of different things for winter riding as I was too tight to buy some winter specific shoes, from over shoes (cheep and warm but get rapidly trashed on rocks) to waterproof socks (still got very cold feet as the cut the circulation off in my tight ish XC shoes). I now have beefy Mavic gortex shoes which do keep my feet warmer than anything else, however I find it impossible to keep my feet dry in really wet conditions due to the inescapable need for a big hole in the top of any shoe. Either I go in puddles that overtop them or water runs down my legs into them. I've got some tight rubber gaitor things (I've heard of diy jobs for these made out of washing up gloves) but these just delay the inevitable.

So in short riding through the winter is always grim, but with some decent shoes its slightly less grim and I haven't had to bail early from getting to cold since buying mine.

Edit: this is with SPDs, 

Post edited at 10:41
 LastBoyScout 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

I use a pair of Merrell Gore-Tex approach shoes for touring, but wouldn't use them for proper mountain biking - you'll get wet feet as soon as you go through the first puddle and then you'll just have 2 shoes full of water, although you might be able to do something with a well-fitting ankle gaiter.

I've actually had the same issue with proper waterproof MTB shoes, so stopped wearing them.

These days, I tend to stick with decent shoe covers, but then I ride SPDs and flat pedals will trash them.

In reply to r.greaves:

> and still slip around in my local muddy and leafy wooded trails

If your slipping on flat pedals with 5.10s, I think you need to consider better pedals. I’ve got various 5.10s and they all grip very well on my pedals in all conditions even with say mud or leafy mould trapped on sole.

In reply to r.greaves:

For winter shoes I mainly use 5.10s in combination with the likes of sealskin socks, gaiters, double socks, etc depending on circumstances. I’ve also got older pairs of 5.10s EPS low and mid shoes - primaloft and “waterproof” models - which can be ok. However, if wet weather or wet trail conditions, water can of course get in at the ankle and so some form of gaiter needed to minimise getting wet/cold. The old models were only part lined with primaloft which really didn’t seems to give much extra warmth once the feet cooled during riding.

I have tried Shimano gtx mid Boots, and they were waterproof provided you could minimise water entry at top, but were colder for me than 5.10s since there was no insulation whatsoever in the model I had, and they were too tight fitting despite buying two sizes larger than normal. 

Think ebdon summed up generally what mtbiking in winter is like 😉 : “So in short riding through the winter is always grim, but with some decent shoes its slightly less grim and I haven't had to bail early from getting to cold since buying mine.”

summo 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

I find putting my feet in a freezer bag before I put the shoes on solves both water and cold air finding my feet. 

Si Withington 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

Normal shoes, 5mm or fatter neoprene socks. Jobs a gud-un.

Jon Greengrass 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

With flat pedals I wear a pair of Vivobarefoot Scott Winterproof boots, they have a really thin sole so I can really grip the pedals with myfeet,  do have to use a less agresssive pedal so I can't feel the pins. If its really wet and cold I wear Dunlop wellington boots,  seriously with a decent pair of flat pedals they are fine.

with SPDs Specialized defroster boots, great as long as I don't stand in a puddle of freezing water deeper than  the neoprene ankle cuff.

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2020
In reply to jethro kiernan & Climbing Pieman

> I use a pair of MTB sealskins socks with my 5:10, I’ve only just started using them but happy so far.

I'm the same for wet/cold Peak riding. The seal skins work well. Just avoid machine washing them. 

I also wear Costco Merino-mix wool socks inside the sealskins.

I've also previously used the 5.10 waterproof/insulated offering and they are pretty good as well (still wore with sealskins though.

Found that putting the 5.10s on top of a gas boiler dries them out quicker than on a rad or next to fire.

In reply to ChrisJD:

Thanks, I should try merino based socks under the sealskins. I usually just used basic liner sock under. Also, still got my EPS 5.10s so will try them out again this winter.

> Found that putting the 5.10s on top of a gas boiler dries them out quicker than on a rad or next to fire.

Ha ha, one of the down sides of all the 5.10s I’ve had is the slowness of drying. I bought a cheap boot dryer to speed drying up (and pre warming if needed)! Waiting 3 days for natural drying was too much!

OP r.greaves 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

It's not when riding but more walking around and exploring....

mp3ferret 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

I went for years with soggy/cold feet, tried over boots, waterproof socks - but you can't beat a proper pair of winter boots.  I've got the North Wave Celcius Arctic ( or something like that ).  They've kept my feet lovely and warm and dry.  I got mine large enough to fit comfy pair of thick winter socks in them and still be able to wiggle my toes.  Friends have the Shimano walking boot style one s- but have complained about them being cold ( on trips with me ) - usually in winter around north west scotland when the weathers been constantly below 0.

baron 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

> Hi,

> I'm looking for a winter flat MTB trail / xc mid boot, I keep trawling sights but apart from 5.10, which I wear in summer and still slip around in my local muddy and leafy wooded trails....I'm looking at alternatives, obvious warm and dry as possible, was considering something from Salomon GTX range......any experience...

> Rich

If you are using flat pedals and need the grip for walking around then would a pair of lighter weight waterproof walking boots not suffice?

It’s what I’ve used for years, more because I already owned a pair than anything else.

In reply to r.greaves:

Ok, I did wonder if that was what you meant after I posted, sorry.

The Shimano GTX mid boots I had were good for grip when walking, and waterproof, but they provided little grip on flats. I think it could be a compromise.

Personally I much prefer grip on pedals when mt biking, but appreciate that if your main aim of using a mt bike is to get to areas to explore on foot, then grip for walking would be an advantage.

As has been mentioned a walking type boot maybe more suitable then?

gezebo 11 Sep 2020
In reply to r.greaves:

Apart from a pair of wellies I’d just accept you’re going to be wet and/or cold. 

I use gore tex socks with thicker walking socks underneath. Sealskins or something else would work in a similar way but I just wait for the water to warm up inside and then it’s at least tolerable. 

ChrisJD 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

The top of the combi boiler works really well , even sodden 5.10s

The Merino socks+sealskin work a treat.  Rarely get cold feet, even biking in snow. 

Last winter also converted to riding in ENDURA MT500 SPRAY II MTB Trousers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...