UKC

National 3 Peaks by bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 14 Apr 2018

Just chatting to a few mates last night, this is a possible plan for 2019. Probably from Snowdon to Ben Nevis.

Has anyone here done it? Initially just looking for a few thoughts on route, daily distances and other general logistical issues.

4 days looks challenging, but possible. We have all done multiple 100+ mile days on the bike and back to back 100+ mile days, although not 4 in a row with mountain walking on three of the days.

olddirtydoggy 14 Apr 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

It has been done. We did the usual car version some time back and read about some of the wacky ways people have travelled between them. There is a 3 peaks page online, quite easy to find and I seem to remember some info on there. I wouldn't get put off, your challenge is a worthy one.

Found it: https://www.threepeakschallenge.net/three-peaks-challenge-records

Post edited at 10:06

Found this: http://live.opentracking.co.uk/lister3peaks17/

Got us thinking our side now.....

Chris Harris 14 Apr 2018

Someone I know did it this way:

Train from Nottingham up to Fort William. Run up & down Ben Nevis.

Cycle down to the Lakes. Run up & down Scafell Pike.

Cycle across to Snowdonia. Run up & down Snowdon. 

Cycle home to Nottingham. 

5½ days door to door. 

Chris Harris 14 Apr 2018

I forgot to mention that the above was done by a husband & wife team, and that the trip was their honeymoon!

Post edited at 14:48
 Stig 14 Apr 2018
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Has anyone done the whole thing on a mountain bike!?

In reply to Stig:

What about a unicycle. With no legs?

A friend did it as part of LEJOG, sounded a fine adventure. 

simondgee 15 Apr 2018

Did a bit of a combo...Start @ PyP for Snowdon...Climb route leading to summit, tandem paraglide off summit, pack all shit into trailer behind tandem ride to Wasdale Ditto then continue onto Glen Nevis ...I swear a tandem (bike) is the devils work...To be fair the all up weight of the bike/trailer was over 1/4 tonne. We did the riding bits in 5 days.

TheGeneralist 15 Apr 2018
In reply to The OP:

I had a look into this last year, but luckily managed to find a new job instead   I think it's known as the real 3 peaks challenge, but google seems to now be full of lots of litter threads so it's harder to find the cycle stuff.  Try here https://medium.com/@rmalpass/national-3-peaks-challenge-cycling-record-8742...

When I looked into it I reckoned that 3 days would need to be the target to make it worthwhile, but it'd be deeply tricky.

I got as far as

Up and down Snowdon (5 hours?) Cycle to Kendal ~ 170 miles = 13 hours.  Sleep in Kendal

20 miles to ODG in Langdale ~ 1.5 hours; up and down Scafell ~ 5 hours then cycle perhaps another 120 miles then sleep

Then 150 miles the next day followed by Ben Nevis before dawn the following day.

Utterly shattering, but theoretically doable with the right group.

If I manage to get any fitness back them I might be up for trying this at some point.

Good luck if you do try it

ablackett 16 Apr 2018

I considered this last year, not for me but for a running/cycling superstar I reckon it's possible in 24 hours summit to summit with a recumbent tandem or a large peloton of riders to draft with.

45 minutes to run down Ben Nevis,

Cycle to Borrowdale, 1.5 hours to run up Scafell and down to Langdale while your mate rides round to Langdale.

Ride from Langdale to snowdon, run up Snowdon in 45 minutes.

450 miles on the bike averaging 21.5mph and you are done within 24 hours.  

I'm not suggesting that a normal person could do this, but I reckon it's on the edge of possible.

OP The New NickB 16 Apr 2018

Thanks all. Some useful information there. We certainly won’t be trying to break any records, just complete in a reasonable time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...