UKC

New bike day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 17 Sep 2019

..is a good day!! A lovely fresh and sunny one at that! I'm off to play :-D

I found a road bike on gumtree in my size which had been used once (and it can't have been a long ride at that!), then the owner got into mountain biking and never used the road bike again. It's not top end, but better than any I have had before. It's a Liv Avail 1, feels nice and really light. Got it for a real bargain too. 

Since there is only the dog at home to get excited with, I thought I would share my excitement here. Just finishing breakfast before swapping my nice saddle onto it (standard saddles are never good) and then I'm off!

Hope you all have a good day too!!

nniff 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Have a lovely time - take an allen key in a pocket for little adjustments to the saddle before you get too used to the first position - quarter inch here and there, back and forth until it's right.  Best to have the key in a pocket than a bag someone - no excuse not to stop and tweak.

the sheep 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Wonderful, have an awesome time. Perfect weather for it too

Dave B 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

So wanted to ride my bike today, but too fatigued from racing at the weekend. 

Have a great ride. 

I found I needed a torque wrench to tighten 80%of the bolts on one bike I bought this year, the other one was perfect from the start.

OP girlymonkey 17 Sep 2019
In reply to nniff:

I only had to adjust the saddle once. I will need to spend some time tweaking the angle of the brakes. I have tiny hands, so the stretch felt really big. In the past I have found that I need to angle them inwards quite a bit to make it work, but that is a job for at home rather than en route.

I did have a lovely time, thanks. Just a short ride, couple of hours, but very pleasant and sunny

In reply to Dave B:

Hopefully you will get another nice day soon when you have recovered more.

I only had time for a short ride as I have a cycling date with a toddler (3 year old Godson) this afternoon, and I wouldn't dare be late for that! It was a lovely couple of hours that I did though

Run_Ross_Run 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Nice one. I know what you mean, weather looks cracking for the next few days. Off tomorrow morning bikepacking around mid Wales for a bit. Can't wait. 

galpinos 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Enjoy. I got a new bike over the summer and not only has it made the work commute a joy but I find myself making up local errands at the weekend, just so I can go for a quick blast.

kathrync 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Glad you enjoyed!  I also have an Avail 1 - I think mine is slightly older as it is still Giant branded so it must have been from before Liv and Giant separated their branding.  Great bike - enjoyed a 60 mile tour of the Forth on it on Sunday!

In reply to kathrync:

The bike it's self isn't giant branded but the parts are, so not sure if mine is from the giant era or not. Either way, I like it!

Did you use the sustrans routes for your tour of the forth? I am based in Stirling, and have wondered about doing something like that. 

kathrync 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Yeah, Liv and Giant still share a lot of their stuff as far as I am aware so I am not that surprised that some components are Giant branded.  Mine says Giant on the frame in big letters and Liv in much smaller letters as an afterthought.

Yes, we followed Sustrans 76 on the north of the Forth.  On the south it looks like the Sustrans route more or less hugs the coast, but we ended up a bit further south in the stretch between S Queensferry and Bo'Ness.  I would recommend trying to stay on the Sustrans route as we ended up on some pretty busy roads.

Yanis Nayu 17 Sep 2019
In reply to girlymonkey:

Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...