UKC

Olympic cycling time trials: tales of redemption…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Annemiek van Vleuten finally gets gold: 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/28/van-vleuten-quells-olympic-ro...

and after his disintegration in the TdF time trial last year, and then crashing out this year, that must have felt good for Primoz Roglic:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/28/super-special-primoz-roglic-d...

i’d thought that Fillipo Ganna was the clear favourite- but no medal at all. And sadly no redemption for Geraint Thomas- where does he go from here..?

Boomer Doomer 28 Jul 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Yeah, glad for Primoz after last years TdF heartbreak and for AVV after that horrific crash in Rio.

> And sadly no redemption for Geraint Thomas- where does he go from here..?

I suspect he'll have to hit some more tarmac... oops... did I say that out loud?

Post edited at 21:51
 GrahamD 28 Jul 2021

Ganna wasn't really favourite on that course, I wouldn't have thought.  Too big a hill.  Was it just me or did Roglics helmet look askew the way it did in 2020 TdF TT ?

I though Roglic got a decent tow off Asgreen as they played leapfrog in the final lap. The first lap splits were pretty close for all of the top 6. Hell of a ride though.

Ganna has been training for the track too - I had him down as favourite (although the kicker at the top of the climb can’t have suited him). No idea how the track stuff affected his preparation, but clearly in modern cycling they’re two very different disciplines.

G - if he’s got any sense he’ll take a pay cut and stay at Ineos, but I hear Confidis are interested…

Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2021

> Annemiek van Vleuten finally gets gold: 

Brilliant!

> and after his disintegration in the TdF time trial last year, and then crashing out this year, that must have felt good for Primoz Roglic:

Brilliant!

> i’d thought that Fillipo Ganna was the clear favourite- but no medal at all. And sadly no redemption for Geraint Thomas- where does he go from here..?

Flogging Zwift on podcasts. 

In reply to VSisjustascramble:

and Van Aert back in 6th- was the road race too tough to recover from in the time available? And was Roglic saving himself for the time trial- he looked out of sorts in the road race, but clearly not on today’s performance.

also, no Pogacar today- given his flair for time trials over the last year, I’m surprised he wasn’t in the line up….

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Brilliant!

> Brilliant!

yes, really pleased for both of them

> Flogging Zwift on podcasts. 

Ouch…!

Bradley Wiggins show podcast today discusses the Olympics cycling so far- worth a listen. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...