UKC

Rebuilding a wheel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 03 Feb 2019

I've got a set of Mavic Cosmics on my bike and today I heard a ping and when I checked the aluminium hub attachment for a couple of spokes has broken on the rear wheel. Is it worth getting a new hub and rebuilding or is that likely to be as expensive as replacing the wheel (about £400ish I think)

webbo 03 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

Which model as some are only£200 plus a pair.

OP JimR 03 Feb 2019
In reply to webbo:

Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon with SRAM

gethin_allen 03 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR.

If the rest of the wheel is in good condition it's surely worth getting it built up as it's a £500 wheel.

LastBoyScout 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

Warranty job?

What's the age of the wheel - Mavic only keep spares for wheels up to something like 3 years old, but I expect you can get it built onto something, even if you have to change the spokes.

Cheapest way is to loosely build the wheel yourself and then pay someone to true and tension it for you.

wilkie14c 04 Feb 2019
 wilkie14c 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

it would be worth rebuilding as it’ll just be the spokes that have been over tensioned and that’s why they’ve snapped, they reached their elasticity limit. however by virtue of you asking the question, i’m assuming you can’t do this yourself, so a rebuild with 11 speed hub and new spokes is the order of the day. New rim too unless yours is very good condition. you can use your sub 11 speed (if that’s the case) cassette but youlll be future proof by having an 11 speed hub already.

105 hubs are bombproof but heavy, I’ve got a novatec lightweight 11 speed on my rear and it’s great for about the same money

wilkie14c 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

> Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon with SRAM

ah, just seen this, sorry jim.

Im guessing a it’s a 28 or less spokes? great for racing, shit for our potholed roads! 

if you are already 11 speed (probably) then replace the spokes and true up, accept the fact carbon rims will snap the odd spoke, they don’t have the give that alloy has. perhaps get a cord spoke for your tool bag if you carry one? It’ll get you home if needed. Not needed it yet but i have one of these:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke/

Post edited at 03:50
OP JimR 04 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

It’s not the spokes that broke it was the hub itself, it’s about 5yo so out of warranty. It’s t a 24 spoke wheel and all the latest models seem to be 20 spoke. Rim and spokes are ok

webbo 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

It might be worth contacting Malcom at http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk

He appears to know a fair amount about wheel building and the availability of parts.

OP JimR 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

Mavic will cover the rebuild under warranty, even though its over the warranty period. Great customer service ethos from Mavic.

Yanis Nayu 04 Feb 2019
In reply to JimR:

Sounds like you’re going to end up with Trigger’s broom...

OP JimR 04 Feb 2019
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

:-; in fairness the wheel was in very good condition as I’d always kept it clean and used the swissstop yellow brake pads so the rims are in almost pristine condition 

Post edited at 17:30
 Siward 04 Feb 2019
In reply to wilkie14c:

>... so a rebuild with 11 speed hub and new spokes is the order of the day. New rim too unless yours is very good condition. 

Eh? Are you not describing a complete new wheel there? 

wilkie14c 04 Feb 2019
In reply to Siward:

I misread the OP and answered as though it was spoke breakage, turns out it the hub that’s blown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...