UKC

Rediscovering Mint Cake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Basemetal 29 Apr 2022

Those 40g bars... just Sucrose, Glucose and natural peppermint flavourings, indestructible, packable, all but everlasting and in waterproof plastic packaging. With sucrose having a surprising GI of only 60 (same as potato), but being pure carb and very accessible I thought I'd try some as mid-ride fuel. The mint and texture make them easy to eat without the sugariness overpowering. I have to say I'm very impressed. They really do work better on the bike than I ever found them on the hill (maybe because I need fast carbs more when cycling). Scoffed 5 minutes in advance they tangibly helped me demolish the 10 minute hill beast on my usual circuit. I'll be buying them in place of gels for routine now, and tuck one away in the saddlebag as a knock chit. 

Neil Williams 29 Apr 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

Did they go away?  Chocolate covered is particularly nice.

OP Basemetal 29 Apr 2022
In reply to Neil Williams:

> Did they go away?  Chocolate covered is particularly nice.

Nope... I just hadn't bought one in 25 years. It was nutrition articles  recommending "just carbs" for most efficient fuelling during cycling that triggered me trying them on the bike.  Now I'm looking at them as an improvement on gels so was passing on the suggestion.

Chocolate tastes even better but gets melty in jersey pockets, and I understand the fat will slow the carb metabilism a bit. 

petegunn 29 Apr 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

They have quite a good range now, with bars,  gels, electrolyte drinks and the good old fashioned bars. Mint is good for digestion and I know people who suffer with IBS say mint can settle it a bit.

https://www.kendalmint.co.uk/shop/kmc-nrg-gel-mint-caffeine#

Post edited at 17:24
OP Basemetal 29 Apr 2022
In reply to petegunn:

Wow... that was news to me!. I guess my point is pretty much pointless.

mondite 29 Apr 2022
In reply to petegunn:

Have you tried that gel? Been debating getting some and curious if it is close to a proper mintcake.

Wainers44 29 Apr 2022
In reply to petegunn:

> They have quite a good range now, with bars,  gels, electrolyte drinks and the good old fashioned bars. Mint is good for digestion and I know people who suffer with IBS say mint can settle it a bit.

As a serial puker* when running, I can confirm the gels are not only quite settling in the tummy department,  but as they also have caffeine in them, they are rocket fuel! 😁

*that's not someone who pukes cereal 

Mark Morris 29 Apr 2022
In reply to mondite:

I've always been fan of mintcake, particulary the chocolate covered one for winter walking and have used the normal small sized bar on rides. I tried a trail pack of the cycling gels, didn't find them as satisfying as I had hoped.  The mint overwhelmed any other flavours for me. Worth trying though.

petegunn 29 Apr 2022
In reply to mondite:

I've had a few of the gels, they are quite strong but its a much better aftertaste than many other fruit gels and didn't have any gaseous after effects! Would buy them again

CantClimbTom 30 Apr 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

Given that sucrose has a glycemic index score of 65, a compressed block of sucrose with mint essence should be expected to be in the 60s?

Haven't had KMC (Kendall Mint Cake) for *years*, your post reminds me to get some thanks 

OP Basemetal 30 Apr 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

What surprised me was sucrose having that relatively low GI and not being closer to 100. That and "a spoonful of sugar has the same calories as a tomato" opened my eyes to seeing it as reasonable nutrition rather than demonic food of death.

CantClimbTom 30 Apr 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

Have you checked out French bread's GI score? (compared to sucrose). That's the one that surprised me the most when I first looked at GI

mondite 30 Apr 2022
In reply to petegunn:

>  Would buy them again

Given the three reviews I have ordered a pack plus some normal mint cake in case I decide the gels are dodgy.

Kes 01 May 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

I buy boxes direct from Romneys, much cheaper, and take them on longer runs. The chocolate covered ones can get a bit claggy if your mouth is a bit dry but the plain ones are great and leave your mouth feeling refreshed. Which is nice.

felt 01 May 2022
In reply to Kes:

> I buy boxes direct from Romneys

Apart from the flooding risk, nicely located on the Mintsfeet Trading Estate in Kendal. 

More generally, is there anything to be said against about putting a couple of tsps of granulated sugar in a 500ml waterbottle to start sipping after 30 miles on a longer ride? 

CantClimbTom 01 May 2022
In reply to felt:

Well your milage may vary.. but I tried that for long distance walking and for me: at first it seemed ok but very rapidly I didn't like it, to the point it actually started to make me feel sick to drink it. I'd get a commercial (flavoured) powder, maybe that's just me. Edit: or eat some Kendall Mint Cake!

Post edited at 13:50
OP Basemetal 01 May 2022
In reply to felt:

Just flavour really - but you'd want a surprising amount of sugar for 500ml if you want to sip your carbs. A teaspoon being about 5-6g if you're looking for about 50g of carb from your bottle. If you're used to sweet drinks no problem -a coke having about 7or 8 teaspoons  in the 330ml tin and flat coke being a Tour favourite.

Wainers44 01 May 2022
In reply to Basemetal:

After a hypothermia "incident" with teams of youngsters which we train (story around what you think you have forgotten,  but haven't, it's just that it's now in your mates rucksack in an identical dry bag to yours after a hurried early start in the dark...), we now give them a high energy pack. They are required to carry emergency food as well, but the "pack" is a huge calorie hit if they find they have scoffed everything.  Contents,  chocky, and hot chocy sachets, energy gels, and lots of kendal mintcake.  They are encouraged to use the packs....even if it isn't a big emergency,  and the mintcake is the first thing that gets eaten! 

OP Basemetal 02 May 2022
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> Have you checked out French bread's GI score? (compared to sucrose). That's the one that surprised me the most when I first looked at GI

In the 70s it seems, so more than table sugar! The one that's just surprised me was maltodextrin, the main carb in SiS and other gels: "Maltodextrin has 4 calories per gram — the same  as sucrose, or table sugar. However, maltodextrin’s GI is higher than table sugar, ranging from 106 to 136." Explains why they kick in so fast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...