UKC

revolights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lost1977 29 Nov 2012
i think i want some

http://revolights.com/#overview
 ChrisJD 29 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

That is soooo cool
 Stone Muppet 29 Nov 2012
But better if they were to light up all the way round, then you'd be more visible from the side!
OP lost1977 29 Nov 2012
In reply to Stone Muppet:

wouldn't be better at all it would make them useless surely
 Tricky Dicky 30 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

At $250 they're not cheap!!
In reply to Tricky Dicky: I'd buy some for $75. Look amazing.
 Richard Baynes 30 Nov 2012
As a cyclist and a driver, I would suggest that anything that makes me have to think "What on earth is that?" is a bad idea because in the time I'm thinking that I could be colliding with you in my car. The same goes for the ultra-bright and flashing lights that some people sport these days. Normal, fairly bright lights coupled with reflective clothing are best for being seen and making sure the driver knows what's going on, not a christmas tree effect.

R
 Steve John B 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes:
> Normal, fairly bright lights coupled with reflective clothing are best for being seen and making sure the driver knows what's going on, not a christmas tree effect.

Why has that guy got a fairy on his head...? SMASH!!!

I see what you mean
 mutt 30 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977: Amazing - I'm in!
 Scomuir 30 Nov 2012
Would you not slow down if there was something ahead that you weren't sure of? That seems to be the reaction of a lot of drivers coming towards me when I am wearing a headtorch, and they can't figure out why there's one light above another.
 Frank4short 30 Nov 2012
> As a cyclist and a driver, I would suggest that anything that makes me have to think "What on earth is that?" is a bad idea because in the time I'm thinking that I could be colliding with you in my car. The same goes for the ultra-bright and flashing lights that some people sport these days. Normal, fairly bright lights coupled with reflective clothing are best for being seen and making sure the driver knows what's going on, not a christmas tree effect.

Modern off road specific high lumen lights are actually a danger to both cyclists and car drivers as they're set up specifically to have certain light patterns which are likely to blind drivers which makes them a hazard. However the lights in question in the OP's link shouldn't be a problem in this regard as they're designed to light up the bike and to a lesser extent the cyclist, thus making them more visible to drivers. Which in my opinion should only be a good thing.

However if you have problems with hitting things when driving at night cause you don't know what they are then perhaps you should re-assess the fact you're still driving, let alone allowed to drive.
 Richard Carter 30 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

O M G.

I want, I want , I want!

In the future you could do really clever stuff too with a product like that, like increase the rear brightness as you brake (like car brakes) and stuff. I wonder how they'd look to the human eye, less juddery I guess.

They might actually fit my bike, so excited!
Shearwater 30 Nov 2012
I think I preferred these ones: http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/

Mildly less practical, plenty more entertaining
 Richard Carter 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Shearwater:

Ok those are also cool
OP lost1977 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Shearwater:

i like those as well just a shame i don't have the skills to assemble the kit, sure somebody could assemble the kits and make some easy money
 Tricky Dicky 30 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to Shearwater)
>
> i like those as well just a shame i don't have the skills to assemble the kit, sure somebody could assemble the kits and make some easy money

These are similar http://www.hokeyspokes.com/indexreg.htm

In reply to Frank4short:
If you have problems with hitting things when driving at night cause you don't know what they are then perhaps you should re-assess the fact you're still driving, let alone allowed to drive.

I think you may have missed my point. Apologies for not explaining more: I'm talking about what I see as a possible risk, not something that has already happened. I haven't actually hit anyone in these circumstances. I suppose you could conclude from the fact that I slow down and take great care when I see a mobile Christmas tree coming towards me that it's "worked" .. however there is a moment when trying to decide what the thing is, and assess its potential risk etc, means that a driver may not be able to concentrate in the normal way on driving.
It might not be a huge risk, and I think as far as I am concerned as I am bike aware then I now kinda assume the Christmas tree is a bike, but remember there are plenty of people who aren't bike aware, there are plenty of drivers on the road whose reaction times are slowing down, and it pays to bear these things in mind when you are trying to cyclse safely.
 Brass Nipples 30 Nov 2012

Maybe we should also remove radios from cars as they also prevent you from fully concentrating on the road.

There are bike ninjas out there and they are far more of a danger. A cyclist lit up light a Christmas tree is a good thing

Brass Nipples 30 Nov 2012
In reply to lost1977:

The lights are cool, but battery life is not long and I'd worry about thos wires getting tangled
 Frank4short 30 Nov 2012
In reply to Richard Baynes: Understood however i'd suggest mobile phones are probably a far greater risk to the average cyclist than having fancy lights like the OP posted.
In reply to Frank4short:
> (In reply to Richard Baynes) Understood however i'd suggest mobile phones are probably a far greater risk to the average cyclist than having fancy lights like the OP posted.

Yep, I do find it really tricky to make calls when I'm on the bike, especially in heavy traffic.
Mobile phones, stupid drivers etc are a hazard. But as cyclists we can'd do much about those things. What I am trying to point out is that being a dazzling light display, be as bright as you can, make it flash etc, is not necessarily the right way to go, based on experience. Doing that is soemthing cyclists do to make themseloves safer: if it confuses people, then it has a negative effect.
You may be someone who uses lots of bright and flashing lights, and I'm not knocking individuals, I can very much understand why people would think this was a good thing as I am aware that most of the taxi drivers in Glasgow are partially sighted and think that doing a U-ey just wherever they see fit is only right and proper, and they've nearly killed me before, BUT from behind the steering wheel a mass of flashing lights can a major distraction. I am not sure I'm right, but I am questioning conventional wisdom, and that is the way we find out about things and make changes.
 brokenbanjo 01 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:

$250 to look like you're on Tron! Awesome...
 Tricky Dicky 03 Dec 2012
In reply to lost1977:

Check these out (as seen on Dragons Den)

http://www.oldbond.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...