UKC

Road/Cyclocross wheels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 04 Oct 2019

Looking to buy some new wheels for a frameset I'm building up. This bike will be used all weathers to work and odd trips round forests/tracks with the kids. Don't want to spend too much but equally not too rubbish either!

Advice on tyres would be good as well.

Lynsey.

LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Sounds like you need 2 sets of wheels, or you'll be swapping tyres a lot.

JimR 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/products/mason-x-hunt-four-season-disc-brake...

I’ve got a set of these for my gravel bike, which I also use for commuting (

ChrisJD 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Have a look at the Hope 20Five wheelset as well.

Dark-Cloud 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Hunt or Wheelsmith for wheels.

Ignore the comment above about swapping tyres, Schwalbe Land Cruiser will do all of what you want, i CX on these in summer/autumn, not for muddy trails but for rocky tracks and forests they are fine, they are a good commuter too, i have done rides with 10 miles of gravel and 15 miles of road, no issues.

Sam W 04 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Halo Whiteline, were my choice for a very similar bike.  Reasonable price, they've also proved to be strong and not too heavy.

GraB 07 Oct 2019
In reply to Sam W:

Hunt 4 seasons for £300 odd seem hard to beat for the price. As a slightly cheaper alternative, have a look at the Chosen/ Alex Draw wheels on Merlin. I have a set of these as a second set of wheels and they are decent enough for a budget wheel. Though I have just broken a spoke on the rear and might end up stripping then down and rebuilding as 3 cross lacing (mine are 2 cross though the website suggests otherwise - maybe the spec has changed since I bough mine a year ago?). If you need them as QR rather than thru axle, then they also sell adaptors separately.

https://www.merlincycles.com/pro-build-chosen-hub-alex-draw-19-road-cx-disc...

Tyre choice really depends what you want them for, what mix of road and off road, hardpack or wetter conditions. But if you're going to buy Hunt wheels or anything else around that budget, then it would seem a real shame to slap on some horrible heavy landcruisers and heavy tubes. I ditched mine which were bought for the 3 peaks CX as I couldn't face putting them on the bike even for that race, where there are many people riding on them. They're horrible tyres!

Post edited at 09:46
 Wimlands 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

A cheaper alternative that I got for my commuter bike, Mavic A319, look to be out of stock at moment. Must say I’d have liked to have gone for the hunt set but these have done well for me.

https://www.evanscycles.com/m-wheel-deore-mavic-a319-rear-wheel-00101556

cb294 08 Oct 2019
In reply to Lynsety:

Tune Dreckschleuder with 30 mm Kenda cyclocross tires work for me both for commuting and forest track touring. I do have a second set, but this is with 25 mm Conti road racing tires for pure road use, obviously...

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...