UKC

School bikeability - overdoing the hi-vis thang...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FrankBooth 09 Oct 2013
My son is in his final year at juniors and is doing his Bikeability (a sort of updated cycling proficiency) at the moment. He cycles to school anyway, but when he turned up with his usual hi-vis raincoat he was told he would need to wear the authorised (same colour!) bikeability vest over it in order to take part.... ridiculous!
 Toby S 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

My daughter did it last year. For the most part it was pretty good although apparently they kept telling her she didn't need to use hand signals for turning left!
 Toby S 09 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

Oh and one of the tutors kept trying to get her to use a different bike because hers was 'too big'. This was despite the fact that she got it at our LBS and it was properly fitted.
 Dangerous Dave 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: So your son had to follow all the same rules as all the other kids?? Sounds ridiculous!
 The New NickB 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

Two things sling to mind.

Send a child to school in a suit, they will still be instructed that it is not proper uniform and with issued high zis they will know it meets the relevant British Standards. Both these factors will come in to play and both are reasonable.
 MHutch 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

It's probably more to help them keep a visual check on their group numbers when they're out and about rather than any comment on the suitability of your son's coat.

But yes, they do seem to like to do things 'just so'. My two have just done it.

Apart from my daughter finding herself in the middle of a police incident on one of the local estates that involved the breaking down of doors, they enjoyed it thoroughly.
 Wee Davie 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

I did a couple of wheelies in my cycling proficiency test and failed. The Man don't like non- conformists. Fight the Power!!!
Ann65 09 Oct 2013
I wonder who would be first to complain if things go wrong !
 girlymonkey 09 Oct 2013
In reply to MHutch:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
>

>
> Apart from my daughter finding herself in the middle of a police incident on one of the local estates that involved the breaking down of doors, they enjoyed it thoroughly.

This sounds like a story we need to hear!!
 tim000 09 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: help for the public to know that the kids are part of the group . not some random kid bunking of scchool.
 gethin_allen 10 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:
It's just box ticking yes but was it a terrible hardship for your son to put a hi-vis vest over the top of his jacket?
KevinD 10 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

As others have mentioned it shows they are actually part of that group and so makes it easier to keep an eye on them, since I am guessing it has some specific markings on it. Plus it also guarantees they meet the safety standard, which an identical appearing jacket might not, so covers their arse if an accident occurs.
Unless they charged you for it I cant really see the issue for wearing it for the duration of the course?
 martinph78 10 Oct 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to FrankBooth)
>
> Unless they charged you for it I cant really see the issue for wearing it for the duration of the course?

Or moaning about it on the internet...
 tlm 10 Oct 2013
In reply to Toby S:

What is an LBS? London Business School? Littlehampton Book Services?
 Wingnut 10 Oct 2013
In reply to tlm:
Local Bike Shop
 tim000 10 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth: plus , what happens if your son gets too hot and has to take the jacket off ?
 Enty 10 Oct 2013
In reply to FrankBooth:

I dream about having trivial things like this to worry about

E
OP FrankBooth 11 Oct 2013
In reply to Enty:
LOL! I suspect my post sounded more irritated than intended!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...