UKC

scratched stanchions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 duchessofmalfi 28 Nov 2012
After a spill I notice some big scratches on the stanchions of my forks. I know this is likely "no you can't" but does anyone know if they can be replaced (economically) or have any other suggestions - they are alloy with a no stick coating and I'm concerned that the scrtaches will destroy the seals in the lower part of the fork...
In reply to duchessofmalfi: You can replace them but the cost will depend on the make and model- given they sound like their probably fox then I think they may start at around £150 but don't quote me on that. There is information available online about using nail polish to sort out scratches- takes quite a lot of work and you have to be patient but it can be effective.

Its not so much that you'll destroy the seals more that the forks may leak- I have a small scratch that has had no obvious effect on performance.
 existing debt 28 Nov 2012
In reply to chrisclimber_1986:

as a frequent faller off bikes i have a few scratches on the stanchions of my fox talas forks...my immediate reaction on my first spill was to panic, send them to mojo's and spend some cash...but a little wet and dry paper and some nail polish does the trick, take your time and build the layers. I found that the better quality (more expensive) polish works best, so Chanel all the way!

good luck

LastBoyScout 28 Nov 2012
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

A bike magazine a while ago, maybe MBR, had an article on how to repair these scratches.

It recommended cleaning out the scratches, filling them with Araldite and sanding them smooth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...