UKC

Snake pass ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 16 May 2022

Does anyone know what the situation is with cycling Snake Pass at the moment ? as far as I could work out its doable if you go off road for a bit ?

galpinos 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

What do you mean? It's open.

OP GrahamD 16 May 2022
In reply to galpinos:

Such news doesn't filter down to Cambridgeshire! Good to know, thanks.

galpinos 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

No problem. Prepare to be close passed........

OP GrahamD 16 May 2022
In reply to galpinos:

> No problem. Prepare to be close passed........

Same as it used to be, then.

galpinos 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

‘Fraid so.

cragtyke 16 May 2022
 Morty 16 May 2022
In reply to cragtyke:

> Limited to under 7.5 tonnes though.

I doubt his bike is that big.

Yanis Nayu 16 May 2022
In reply to Morty:

Just feels like it…

Yanis Nayu 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Just seen on Twitter that it’s open and ‘safe’, covered as it is with cars with psychopathic drivers. 

hang_about 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Really wouldn't recommend it. Did it when it was shut for the novelty but not worth the risk now in my opinion. Edale is a lovely alternative and steep in places. Much quieter and great scenery.

mrphilipoldham 16 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

I passed over it a couple of weeks ago in the car, long after it had officially re-opened and only saw another three cars between Glossop and Ladybower so it seems to still be quiet. Word may well have spread further since then though! 

Ceiriog Chris 16 May 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> I passed over it a couple of weeks ago in the car, long after it had officially re-opened and only saw another three cars between Glossop and Ladybower so it seems to still be quiet. Word may well have spread further since then though! 

Word hasn't reached me yet in N.E Wales that it's closed -) 

veteye 16 May 2022
In reply to hang_about:

What about the Strines then. That's pretty varied and testing. You could even divert to Agden Rocher for a quick climb.

Phil West 17 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

It’s got three sets of temporary lights on it though as the westbound carriageway has fallen off in one place and the subsidence is the worst I’ve seen it in 30 years. And it’s back to being its usual busy self.

Phil

OP GrahamD 17 May 2022
In reply to hang_about:

I'm staying near Charlesworth next week and Snake makes part of a great circuit taking in Mam Tor nick as well.

hang_about 17 May 2022
In reply to veteye:

The climb from Low to High Bradfield is a regular on my routes. Pretty fierce though!

The Strines Rd (Mortimer Rd?) is not so joyous - it's all those dips into the streams running into the reservoir and climbing out again (and repeat....).

I have got into Staffordshire cycling though - stunning routes south of the Roaches.

hang_about 17 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Enjoy! - certainly hillier than Cambridge!

I'd get on it early if you want to avoid the continuous traffic - but you will get the boy racers.

OP GrahamD 17 May 2022
In reply to hang_about:

Thanks. I've cycled it 2 or 3 times from Glossop pre closure so I'm under no illusions about traffic !

Thomas Jones 17 May 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Snake pass is definitely worth doing ( since you're based in Charlesworth you could even start your loop with Monks Road...)

Long Hill south from Whaley Bridge is currently mostly closed to traffic which may also be of interest as you can get most of the way to Whaley on the back roads to the east of the A6.

OP GrahamD 17 May 2022
In reply to Thomas Jones:

I've always returned via Monks Road in the past.  I've only done the 'up' from Broadbottom on a MTB !

In reply to hang_about:

> The climb from Low to High Bradfield is a regular on my routes. Pretty fierce though!

> The Strines Rd (Mortimer Rd?) is not so joyous - it's all those dips into the streams running into the reservoir and climbing out again (and repeat....).

Going north the climb after the drop down from Broomhead Hall is certainly a challenge. With a sharp left-hander at the beginning it's basically done from standing start. The climb is known as Deliverance.🚴🏻‍♂️

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...