UKC

Snake pass closed?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robert-hutton 12 Oct 2020

Seems that the snake pass is closed for two weeks, has anyone been up on a bike, in previous years cycling up or down have been ok and encouraged.

AukWalk 13 Oct 2020
In reply to robert-hutton:

Think it's for all traffic including cyclists. Been a landslip so repairing that plus doing other bits of drainage and resurfacing work while it's closed apparently. 

thepodge 13 Oct 2020

I did it a few years ago. Everyone had the same idea, it was full of sports bikes and Subaru Imprezas. I was really glad to be back on the open bit as people seemed to act like it was a personal race track up there. 

In reply to AukWalk:

> Think it's for all traffic including cyclists. Been a landslip so repairing that plus doing other bits of drainage and resurfacing work while it's closed apparently. 

There are signs on the Sheffield side that specifically mention cycling as prohibited. Not sure if that was the case in previous shutdowns so would be interested to hear if anyone gets turned around. 

Does anyone know exactly where the work is? 

OP robert-hutton 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

In previous shutdowns the work persons have been really friendly and moved the barrier's to allow cycling to take place.

> In previous shutdowns the work persons have been really friendly and moved the barrier's to allow cycling to take place.

Yes, I did it a few times. What appears to be different this time (unless I didn't see them) is that cycling is specifically mentioned as prohibited. I'd rather not do a loop round the Woodhead back over the Snake and be withing sight of Sheffield (and home) and get turned around. 

Do you know for definite if there was a cycling prohibition notice in place last time? 

Funnily enough some chatter on the cycle forums just in. Rides took place yesterday OK, but people being turned away at Glossop this morning (Tuesday). 

ro8x 13 Oct 2020

I did when it closed last time and went over on an evening and had no issues. Am planning on doing it again from the Sheffield side.

In reply to ro8x:

Let us know how you get on. 

deepsoup 13 Oct 2020

> I'd rather not do a loop round the Woodhead back over the Snake and be within sight of Sheffield (and home) and get turned around. 

Very wise.  I think at the very least anyone heading up there should be prepared for the possibility of being turned back.

I think previous closures have generally been to repair the bit of culvert that is continually collapsing.  The short section where a 30mph limit is fairly regularly imposed, lifted and imposed again as the road is made smooth and then gradually re-grows a big ol' speed bump.

This time it's a landslip further up.  If I remember right just on the way up to the summit from the Sheffield side.  It's one of those sections where the road runs along side a deep clough and the ground slopes steeply on either side of the road so even assuming workers there would like to let you by it probably won't be easy for them to do so safely.  A medium-sized 360 degree digger will most likely completely fill the available space, and getting off the road there would involve hopping over the wall and traversing a very steep slippery slope on the downhill side.

I rode it on a weekday when it was closed a few years back and had a much more positive experience than thepodge (above).  I wouldn't contemplate it when it's open -  far too stressful for me cars and vans flashing past a few inches from my elbow, even if it's just the one dickhead for every dozen or more vehicles.  A tipper truck was just being loaded with a digger when I arrived at the work site, but after I'd stopped and waited a minute they swung the bucket out of the way and cheerfully waved me through.  (But, again, they had room to do that, which may not be the case this time.)

It struck me afterwards that the boost to tourism and local businesses might be worth DCC's while closing the road for the odd half-day or two each summer specifically to allow cyclists to ride it without taking their life in their hands.  It'd give the farmers a chance to mend their roadside fences from the more accessible side too, maybe help to keep the sheep off the road the rest of the time.

kevin stephens 13 Oct 2020

> Yes, I did it a few times. What appears to be different this time (unless I didn't see them) is that cycling is specifically mentioned as prohibited. I'd rather not do a loop round the Woodhead back over the Snake and be withing sight of Sheffield (and home) and get turned around. 

Cycling over Woodhead doesn’t sound attractive with all the extra traffic from Snake diverted over it

Removed User 13 Oct 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

> > 

> Cycling over Woodhead doesn’t sound attractive with all the extra traffic from Snake diverted over it

Woodhead was terrific in lockdown.

kevin stephens 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed UserDeleted bagger:

Yes, it’s my usual driving route west from home. When I’m feeling fit I enjoy cycling the loop over Holme Moss and back over Snake. But now the Woodhead is very busy with traffic 

JamieSparkes Global Crag Moderator 13 Oct 2020

i'd imagine that if needs be, cutting round the back of shire hill thru old glossop to join the snake at the sharp RH by the golf course, then at the top turning north towards bleaklow and following that short section of doctors gate would be pretty reasonable and should avoid all the closures

In reply to kevin stephens:

> > 

> Cycling over Woodhead doesn’t sound attractive with all the extra traffic from Snake diverted over it

To be honest the bit I avoid/hate riding is the section over Dunford (where the drift fences and the trig point are). The rest is bearable but yes, wits about you time. Mostly it's like you, over Holme Moss to the Woodhead, then the road over the resr. onto what is Woodhead Rd into Glossop.

deepsoup 13 Oct 2020
In reply to JamieSparkes:

I could be mistaken, but I think the landslip is a few hundred metres further along the A57 to the East of Doctors Gate.  (In which case your cunning diversion wouldn't get you around the site of the works, obvs.)

OP robert-hutton 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Tringa:

Just been up and the workmen at the ladybower end says it's ok to go up and they cannot stop you but you aren't insured and a lot of work was being undertaken.

We decided to put a loop on via the dams as would like to stop all the work going on

Good heads up. Might try a night run from Sheffield to the works and return the same way. 

thebigeasy 15 Oct 2020

I rode the whole way up last night from Sheffield, where I turned around once a saw the bright lights of Manchester.

Only the very top section where plant equipment is on the road. Currently you can get past but I suspect it will be dug up in a few more days, as there are a few big cracks in the road which need repairing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...