UKC

Solo Fred Whitton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am looking for some basic advice in regards to cycling this route solo and totally unsupported in July if anyone has done it before?

My plan is to drive up on a wednesday and stay until saturday in Ambleside and hope for thursday or friday to be a nice day for the ride. 

Can anyone recommend good places to stop for lunch? and also topping up water bottles? 

I will also make sure I have a cab number organised just in case I have a complete nightmare in regards to mechanicals/bonking/weather for a rescue. 

Other than that, i'm hoping it will be a tough but very enjoyable day out on the bike...am I dreaming? lol

In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Loads of Places in Keswick. The Stanley Arms at Calder Bridge if open, There's a bakery in Gosforth. 

Kalna_kaza 17 May 2021

Buttermere is well catered for in terms of cafes, the top of Whinlatter Pass has a cafe in the visitor centre along with Cyclewise bike shop just in case you get some mechanical issues. Likewise Honister Pass slate mine has a cafe.

Then there's not much until Ennerdale Bridge, two pubs and a cafe at the village hall.

Gosforth pie shop is great and there is a well stocked village shop next door. 

Eskdale Green has a little shop but with limited opening hours. There is a cafe at the eastern terminus of La'al Ratty miniature railway near Boot.

I've never had issues with a water bottle top up anywhere I've purchased something.

Richard Horn 17 May 2021

Firstly, it is an amazing route where you will get to see nearly the whole lake district (I think I counted seeing something like 10 or 11 of the lakes...). We (myself and my brother) stopped in Braithwaite for food, there was a shop, but really you pass through a lot of villages. You should def give it a go!

Make sure you do not under-estimate the route though. I did it a few years ago when I was only just getting into cycling a bit more after finding I didnt have enough time to go climbing any more. I presumed because I had done a 100 mile sportive around the south downs I would be fine, but I found it considerably more arduous. The hills are *steep*, Honister for example is 26 percent, and not just for a bit, they stay steep continuously, I was not able to "spin" adequately with a 34-25, so I was forced into a lower cadence which over the course of the day slowly destroyed my legs - so make sure you have some very low gearing.

The thing that really killed me though was not the main hills, I expected them, its on the bits inbetween where I thought it would get easier, it just seemed like whenever I went round a corner there was a wall of tarmac in front of me... I bonked properly somewhere on the hills between Ennerdale and Santon bridge and ended up getting a car back round to Ambleside, so no Hardknott... I am a lot more cycle-fit now and its def on my list to go back up there to complete this route...

steveriley 17 May 2021

I'd aim to be mostly self sufficient, but a hot drink and a sit down at one of the above might be welcome. I think Buttermere and Calder Bridge are the food stops on the event day. Take blinkers so you never have to think further than the next climb and maybe tissues to wipe away the tears on Hardknott. You'll have a blast

Mark Eddy 17 May 2021

I've done it solo a couple of times now. Last year and this. I wrote a few notes about my first round: https://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk/blog/category/fred-whitton-challenge

I took less food on my second go as shops/cafes were open again.

The village shop in Lorton is great, but not open on a Sunday. Gosforth has shop and bakery. I'm sure I also stopped at a good cafe near Ennerdale Bridge, but can't remember exactly where, sorry.

Then there's a little shop at Eskdale Green.

The cafe at Honister is okay, but quite expensive. I stopped there last time and wished I hadn't as there was an independent trader down in Buttermere.

I took 2 water bottles and didn't need any top ups, but did buy a few cans of coke etc to top me up.

It's a fantastic day out on the bike. Knackering, but fantastic. Safe some energy for Hardknott, it is tough from Eskdale, but the feeling when you hit the top is pretty great. You know it's in the bag. Wrynose is easy-is going W-E and Blea tarn road also easy. Then cruise through Langdale to victory.

Enjoy

And if you've any concerns re the bike, Ghyllside Cycles in Ambleside are very good.

In reply to Mark Eddy:

Thanks everyone, this is perfect...exactly the info I was after! Sounds like plenty of options which is great to know.  Now just need some luck re weather and my legs being up to it

Looks like you’ve already got lots of great advice and tips so will just wish you all the best! It’s a brilliant adventure, perhaps one of the best in the UK. 

One thing to consider is the time you hit hard knot and wrynose and what time people driving over them for a day in Eskdale will also be making the journey. Around 10ish going west and 4ish going east could be busy - only done them a few times so a local opinion might be more helpful. Either way, having to pause going up then and clipping back into cleats on a steep bit could be entertaining for any onlookers...

bouldery bits 17 May 2021

The Honister slate mine rocky road is a thing of beauty.

climbingpixie 17 May 2021
In reply to Richard Horn:

> The thing that really killed me though was not the main hills, I expected them, its on the bits inbetween where I thought it would get easier, it just seemed like whenever I went round a corner there was a wall of tarmac in front of me... I bonked properly somewhere on the hills between Ennerdale and Santon bridge and ended up getting a car back round to Ambleside, so no Hardknott...

That whole western part of the loop is a grind, just way too choppy to get any momentum going (especially as a solo rider). I was glad I'd ridden it a couple of times in advance of the Fred so I knew what to expect from the seemingly innocuous section. Stuff like Cold Fell look like they should be trivial compared to the main passes but it was slogging up that into 50mph winds an driving rain that resulted in my first attempt ending at Calderbridge!

Dark-Cloud 18 May 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

Sounds like the time I rode it last, Cold Fell really lived up to it's name, Calberbridge checkpoint looked like a refugee camp inside, we took one look and just got back on the bikes and rode before we got colder than we already were, ate my body weight in chocolate and sweets and started to feel a bit warmer, however my hands were so cold I couldn't feel them at all until just before Harknott, hot aches is not a pleasant thing to experience on a bike...

Post edited at 08:04
 RobAJones 18 May 2021

I agree with all of the above particularly the advice about gear ratios and the warning that the section between whinlatter and hard knott not being flat. It depends on how much of a purist(wanting to follow the precise route)  or worried about time you are (it will take 5 or so mins. longer) , but I don't like cycling on the A66 and most of that section is easily avoided by using the back roads that run parallel to it. 

TheGeneralist 18 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Sounds like the time I rode it last, Cold Fell really lived up to it's name, 

Yep. Get Cold Fell embedded in your thought process in advance. I'd never heard of it and had only registered the well known central passes.  So when it came it was a real stretch..... how is this hill that I never knew was a hill being so difficult.

In terms of food, there's loads of places to eat.  No need to worry about this.

The Keswick <> Threlkeld railway path is now open and very smooth. I would use it to avoid A66.

The gradients are brutal - if you stop you will be walking - I failed on Honister last week after only putting on a new chain when chain and cassette needed replacing. Really annoying. Got mostly up Newlands and only the steep bit at top got me.

The descent from Hardknott is very dangerous - in my view the scariest bit of the whole ride. Keep your speed down on Wrynose and Honister descent too.

Cold Fell climb goes on for ever - different nature to other climbs.

Plenty of refreshment available in the core lakes roads - only out West it is a bit quieter.

I would do the Struggle instead of Troutbeck climb (how can they leave the Struggle out???). I did it this way when I did it solo.

Check you brakepads.

Enjoy - it is truly stunning.

scratcher 18 May 2021
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

> Check you brakepads.

This is probably the single most important piece of advice! Bonking or having to walk some sections of the climbs only damages your pride, but you can really hurt yourself on the steep and technical descents if things go badly wrong. Make sure your brakes are working perfectly and take extra care if there's been heavy rain prior to your attempt - there may be lots of loose material washed into the road just where you don't want it!

Otherwise, have a great day! I've only ridden it during the Fred Whitton events when I've been chasing (and failing to get) a fast time, but imagine it would be great to do it at a more leisurely pace and be able to properly enjoy the incredible surroundings

monkey man 18 May 2021

Great tread. 

agree A66 seems a bit unnecessary.

looking forward to giving it a crack too

In reply to monkey man:

Flying down the a66 at 25mph is pretty satisfiying and exciting as long as you are not put off by the traffic flying past at 2 - 3 times that speed and you don't, while trying to keep away from the traffic, hit one of the cats eyes that seem to be the size of half grapefruits. Or at least they do if you hit them at 25 mph.

climbingpixie 18 May 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Was that 2013? I've never experienced anything on a bike as bad as inching up Cold Fell (or Cold Hell, as I now think of it) in the teeth of the wind and then descending, losing what little body heat I'd generated on the climb, into a checkpoint that had run out of space blankets because they'd had so many hypothermic cyclists. However, my biggest problem was that my folks were there to cheer me on - the allure of a brew, a hot bath, dry clothes and a lift back to Coniston was too great to resist in my bedraggled and enfeebled state!!

Post edited at 22:38
 climbingpixie 18 May 2021
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

> The descent from Hardknott is very dangerous - in my view the scariest bit of the whole ride. Keep your speed down on Wrynose and Honister descent too.

I thought the Honister descent was the worst, especially since they patched the road up on Hardknott. It seems to see the most crashes and there's always a St John's Ambulance van parked up at the bottom on Fred day. That bit where the road jinks sharply right over a bridge seems to catch a lot of folks unawares - it's easy to relax too early and let your speed build up then come a cropper on the stone wall!

Strachan 19 May 2021

As above, some sketchy descents on the route, particularly Hardknott, Wrynose and Honister. I'd recommend taking care dropping down from Blea Tarn into Great Langdale too, if you're including that recently-added climb. All three of my 'Freds' were done in glorious sunshine with bone-dry roads (2017, 2018, 2019 - I'm aware how lucky that was!) but even so, the descents certainly focussed the mind.

I think my biggest worry about riding the route outside of the official event would be the risk of meeting a car on Hardknott and having to stop to let it pass (they close that section to traffic on the day) - So I'd try to be mentally prepared for the disappointment if you can!

More than anything though, it's a sensational route - can't really explain how good it is. Descending Newlands Valley and going over Whinlatter accompanied the whole way by the view of Skiddaw is pretty special, and the fast descent from Whinlatter is even better! Enjoy!

Dark-Cloud 19 May 2021

Sounds very much like it, your Calderbridge description sounds like I remember it, I really wanted a warm drink but would have just got too cold waiting so just kept riding, we did abandon a mate there who we thought he was done for, he was shaking violently and had the mumbles but remarkably made it to the finish still shaking and an odd shade of grey/blue.

In reply to Strachan:

As I am solidly planted in middle age these days, my approach to steep descents is total caution and brakes permanently on to keep speed down (good advice re getting brake pads checked beforehand). I have lost the ability to enjoy the thrill of speed as I have matured into a risk averse scaredy cat

I really don't know what to expect though. I live in rural Essex so flat is my playground. I ride a lot so curious to see how I cope with the long steep stuff. I'm hoping I will be good. Strava tells me I have climbed 60k metres so far this year (nearly all zwift) and averaged 260km a week. My plan is to do more long sessions on turbo in zone 2 just to build up stamina for the long day out and to stick a 32 tooth sprocket on my rear cassette to help me keep turning on the steep stuff (have semi compact on the front) and me and my bike are light.

Clipping back in on a 20% gradient sounds virtually impossible to me so hopefully not too many cars

Marek 19 May 2021

> Clipping back in on a 20% gradient sounds virtually impossible to me so hopefully not too many cars

Just a thought - I don't know what sort of pedals you use, but I'd be tempted to swap SPD-SL/Look type road pedals for SPDs, just for this reason. I'd hate to have to walk up most of Hardknott and then find my cleats are trashed at the top and I can't clip in! A few times in these situations (stopped on steep uphill) I've resorted to restarting downhill and then doing a u-turn as soon as I could but that doesn't sound plausible on Hardknott. With SPDs, it's FAR easier to clip in fast (just stamp down on either side of the pedal), easier to walk up a steep hill (assuming MTB shoes) and the cleat's not going to get damaged (metal, not plastic).

Jim Lancs 19 May 2021

If you enjoy the route in summer, remember it has spawned a number of spin-offs for your continued amusement.  You can combine it with swimming to do "The Frog Graham" or ride it mid winter at night as "The Dark Fred". (  youtube.com/watch?v=8EJQw38MPSo& )

In reply to Marek:

I ride speedplay zero's which are, at least, double sided and I think easier than shimano/look systems to clip into...so I think I will stick with those, but thanks for the advice...I shall definitely remember it if I find myself walking up hardnott lol

twoshoes 19 May 2021

Are you doing the 'new' route from Grasmere or the 'old' one from Coniston? I've done both and prefer the older one, so if you've got a choice it might be worth a look? It's a bit nicer at the start, on back roads rather than a flat run to Ambleside and the finish is nicer and more interesting in a similar way. I think it does have a touch more climbing from Coniston though.

Good route either way though, have fun! 

Richard Horn 19 May 2021

> I thought the Honister descent was the worst, especially since they patched the road up on Hardknott. It seems to see the most crashes and there's always a St John's Ambulance van parked up at the bottom on Fred day. 

I have done two Lakes triathlons, the Buttermere tri (which goes over Honister) and Helvellyn tri (which goes up the Struggle / down Kirkstone), in both cases, bearing in mind I am a slow swimmer, by the time I was making the key descent  there was someone laid out in the middle of the road / blood everywhere / medic in attendance after they hit the stone walls after failing to make a corner....

Btw not sure who above suggest the Struggle instead of the regular Kirkstone pass, the Struggle is unpleasant (more like another Honister) I would stick with the regular ascent!

In reply to twoshoes:

The route I found was from a few years ago and from Grasmere. I am staying in Ambleside, so will just start from there in an anti clockwise direction. I hadn't given any thought to changing the route slightly for less busy roads (avoiding A66 as suggested above) or that there were different routes from earlier years! 

twoshoes 19 May 2021

The bulk of the route is the same, it's still a great ride. The old route is here I think, if you want to compare them:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4580836?lang=en

I think they moved the start from Coniston to Grasmere because the event got a bit big and needed a start venue with more capacity. Not sure about that though.

Dark-Cloud 19 May 2021

I agree, you are missing a classic by going up the Struggle, Kirkstone is a really nice climb from Holbeck Lane and Troutbeck.

steveriley 19 May 2021
In reply to Strachan:

> I think my biggest worry about riding the route outside of the official event would be the risk of meeting a car on Hardknott and having to stop to let it pass (they close that section to traffic on the day)

Someone didn't get the memo or pushed through when I did it  - there was an ageing Jag trying to weave through clumps of climbing cyclists trying only to stay upright and conscious. Slipping clutch, smoke pouring out of the car. Oh dear

JimR 19 May 2021

I'm also thinking of doing this as we are in a cottage for a week in June in Thelkeld so I'm following this thread with interest. I'm wondering what the best way to do it is if starting from Threlkeld? Like the OP I'm based in flatlands . I'm even worse being in Cambridgeshire/ Bedforshire I average 30ft ascent per mile and average 220 miles per week so this will be an interesting experience I know 4 people who have tried it, 2 walked the steepest bits, 1 rode it all, 1 snapped his chain near the start ... he was quite large

RobAJones 19 May 2021
In reply to JimR:

I didn't suggest it to the OP, as by the time they got there it would be busy with walkers, but if you are starting early I'd certainly use the cycle path rather than A66 to get to Keswick. Honister will come as a bit of shock, made worse by the fact that the steepest bit is at the start, so no easing yourself in gradually, if you get to the cattle grid OK the rest will be fine. The descents of Wrynose/Hard Knott are probably steeper but the descent from Honister starts off relatively smooth but gets bumpier the further down the steep you get, IMO picking up speed isn't a good idea and there was at least one fatality there last summer. I'm local and soft, so have only done the full route in good weather, disc brakes and fat (30-32) tyres are more reassuring in the wet. The first couple of times I did it were on a 34-25 (and 23mm tyres), usually now it will be 34-32  (and 28mm tyres), but probably my most enjoyable rounds were with friends who were a bit slower than me on a 34-40  Food/drink wise Gosforth,  Ambleside and Glenridding will come at useful points. On rides,  I've met quite a few cyclist from some of our flatter counties (Norfolk and Lincolnshire spring to mind) who have had quite a shock during their holiday ride in the Lakes. I don't really know enough to suggest any specific training with confidence, but you don't see many people cycling up the main passes with a cadence of more than 60 rpm, so perhaps some efforts of around 10-15 minutes at 60rpm in the biggest gear you can manage would help?

The Struggle is steep and awesome - all other routes up Kirkstone are easy. As such it is a better fit to the challenge IMHO 😀

JimR 19 May 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Thanks Rob. I’ve a couple of steep hills near albeit only 100 ft so was thinking of doing repeats.  I do TTs so am used to grinding out at FTP  Bike will be Cervello R5 with rim brakes, rear is mid cage so biggest cassette I can get on is 32. Tyres are 25mm, carbon wheels. Alternative would be GT105 gravel bike with discs ,long cage and 28mm but think the lightness of the R5 with carbon wheels will be worth the slightly higher gearing. But interested in other opinions.

KeithWakeley 19 May 2021

All the previous comments I think cover off the main issues on this route:

- It's a great adventure

- Cold Fell is a grim section that gets overlooked

- The descents are often as hard as the climbs

- Hardnott is a bit of a bugger, but I found Honister key 'hard' climb 

For cafe stops, when I did my recce ride prior to the main event I stopped off at the Grange Tea Rooms down Borrowdale and found them most civilised.  Good food and no issues filling bottles etc. Handy location just before Honister.

Hope you have a great ride & get some good weather.

RobAJones 19 May 2021
In reply to JimR:

Your bike options are similar to mine minus the carbon wheels. Assuming the weather is good (if you want a battle in the wet/wind I'd choose the gravel) I think it depends on how fast you think/want to do it. I'd say less than 7:30 R5 , over 9 hours gravel. If you are up for a week and have a couple of spare hours on one of the previous days, I'd suggest from Threkeld going down to Keswick, up Newlands valley, over Honister and back along Borrowdale. It will give you a good idea of what to expect, and be it mostly in the opposite direction. I was trying to think of sections where the R5 would be a significant advantage, as others have said the vast majority of it is on very "sticky" roads. If, like me, you don't fancy the A66 the only flattish bits of any length are Borrowdale, Calderbridge to Santon Bridge and Glenridding.

Others have mentioned the Struggle. I usually go up it having started from home  near Cockermouth. The ascent via Troutbeck is certainly easier to pace, which to me (and the organisers?) makes it a sensible option if you start in Grasmere. You however, should me nicely warmed up by then and it avoids the busy Windermere Road

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...