UKC

Sore feet - insole advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonathan watt 05 Aug 2020

Hi all,

For some time I have been getting sore feet on longer rides. It feels more like an ache in each foot rather than pressure points. I am looking at getting some insoles to see if they will alleviate this problem.

Any advice on what insoles I could go for that people feel have helped them gratefully received or any other advice to help solve the problem!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IceKing 05 Aug 2020
In reply to jonathan watt:

Are you talking about road rides? What sort of shoes and pedals are you using? 

OP jonathan watt 05 Aug 2020
In reply to IceKing:

Yes road riding. I have some Shimano ultegra SPD pedals and Sidi shoes.

I cured this with cleat wedges. Didn't have space in my shoes for inserts. Obviously your experience/problem might be different.

Post edited at 12:02
 IceKing 05 Aug 2020

So plenty of support then. Is it your arches aching? I've used generic orthotic insoles like Superfeet for years in mine, I've tried lots of different brands, for me they were all very similar, nothing to recommend a particular one. I can't say whether it will fix your problem but that's where I'd start. 

In reply to IceKing:

Thanks to both of you (Stuart and Iceking). It isn't my arches that ache, it is more I would say the joints between the metatarsals and the proximal phalanges. It feels like I am putting pressure on the joints and they sort of 'spread' -  best way can describe it. I was thinking if I could spread the load across more of the width of the foot it would help, hence the idea of an insole. I'll look at given kg the superfeet insoles a go - they are ones I had seen online.

In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Cleat wedges are not something I had considered but will look into them thanks.

Dave B 05 Aug 2020

Some people find that moving the cleat backwards helps. 

abr1966 05 Aug 2020

Which Sidi's? How stiff is the sole? Could be a factor....I had some very stiff carbon soled shoes a while ago but they just gave me arch type of pain after about an hour and a half in them. Back in my old but comfy Specialized shoes but they are close to falling apart. Need some new shoes but I'm apprehensive after spending big ££ on the last ones that didn't work out....

> Thanks to both of you (Stuart and Iceking). It isn't my arches that ache, it is more I would say the joints between the metatarsals and the proximal phalanges. It feels like I am putting pressure on the joints and they sort of 'spread' -  best way can describe it. I was thinking if I could spread the load across more of the width of the foot it would help, hence the idea of an insole. I'll look at given kg the superfeet insoles a go - they are ones I had seen online.

The spreading of the load is, apparently, what the cleat wedges do. It's been a while since I stuck them on but I remember doing some measuring with a phone app to ascertain how many/angles etc. I was dubious at first so only did one shoe. The other side got done straight after a test ride! 

Dark-Cloud 05 Aug 2020

Which Sidi shoe exactly ?

I use Specialized Body Geometry insole in my Sidi road shoes, it massively improves things

Post edited at 13:36
 Basemetal 05 Aug 2020
In reply to abr1966:

Last night's GCN show (Ep 395) had a report of a study claiming sole stiffness ahd little effect on performance. I haven't read any more around this, but I don't have very stiff shoes (Mavic Cosmics). The study is mentioned at 11:02 in this vid...

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/whats-the-best-way-to-ride-your-...

In reply to Basemetal:

Thanks basemetal. I actually had Mavic comics before these ones and actually had similar issues. I will take a look at the video you have sent through.

In reply to Stuart (aka brt):

Thanks. This definitely looks like a good starting point and I will certainly give it a go. Intrigued by the app you mention.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks. They are Sidi T 4 air carbon composite shoes

In reply to abr1966:

They are Sidi T 4 Air carbon composite shoes. I had similar problems with my previous shoes (Mavic Comics).

In reply to Dave B:

Had considered this but it just feels wrong when I move them.

jack89 05 Aug 2020

My shoes got more comfortable with no insole at all. When trying them on, sizing up, the shoe is too long, sizing down and the shoe is too narrow, but no insole was great. My forefoot spreads a bit more evenly, and the shoes dry quicker and are lighter.

Dave B 05 Aug 2020
In reply to jack89:

Your shoes are possibly too narrow.

Most cycling shoes are v narrow. 

nniff 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Dave B:

> Your shoes are possibly too narrow.

> Most cycling shoes are v narrow. 

I tend to agree, except that I currently have a pair of Fizik shoes that tighten up well enough but are really quite wide, to the extent that I have to have the cleat all the way over to the inside to get enough clearance between the shoe and the crank - and it's really marginal if wearing neoprene overshoes.  I've had Sidi, Decathlon and Mavic shoes in the past.  Sidi were really narrow, ditto Decathlon.  Mavic a bit more room.  Sidi's died from an overwhelming stink.  Decathlon donated for being uncomfortable (sounds similar to the OP's problem),  Mavic sole snapped.  Fizik likely to die of being nominally white but hanging on to every spot of road and chain gunge and looking disgusting!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...