UKC

Steel framed "gravel" bike less than 2000

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Herdwickmatt 14 Apr 2021

It's in the title really. I'd like to replace my old and battered cx bike that I use for commuting as it's old and battered. I think a "gravel" bike would work ideally as the commute is a mix of farm path single track and wagonways (compact gravel for those who don't live near Toon). It'll also have duties such as "bike packing" very rarely, pootling to the park with the sprogs and maybe the occasional social ride. 

I like the look of steel frames (probably a hangover from my dad's road bike racing days) and want hydraulic brakes.

Any suggestions?  

NorthernGrit 14 Apr 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Genesis equilibrium?

Marek 14 Apr 2021

Obviously a matter of taste, but Ribble have a nice one in 725 that should be in that price range.

Brown 14 Apr 2021

I have a Genesis Vagabond. This has ticked lots of boxes for me being a steel framed, drop handled bike I can take almost anywhere. It might be more of a non-suspension drop handled mountain bike than a gravel bike though.

My stock version came with mech disk brakes which are possibly the weak point.

I had a Genesis Equilibrium for years but changed as I kept pushing it further and further into the rough and I wanted to be able to put bigger tyres on it but it lacked clearance.

65 14 Apr 2021

Cotic Escapade or Brother Cycles Meh Teh?

OP Herdwickmatt 14 Apr 2021
In reply to 65:

I like the idea of a smaller brand. In fact the wife just got an escapde based on a friendsrecommendation. Id consider it in 650 and 1 x 11. 

it seems to be a swamped market at the minute with a million variations. It’s hard to make the choice, it might come down to paintwork! 

beardy mike 14 Apr 2021

I have one of the gen 2 escapades. The things a missile offroad. Not the quickest thing in the world on, but that’s not the point right?

jt232 14 Apr 2021

The kona rove ST is on my wishlist and seems it might fit the bill? Very fetching in purple as well

https://www.konaworld.com/archive/2020/rove_st.cfm

RobertKett 14 Apr 2021

Just a suggestion.

https://www.shandcycles.com/shop/shand-leveret/

Shimano Alfine hub gears, belt drive, hydraulic discs, 700 x 35c; commuting, touring, gravel, £1995.

I have a genesis vagabond.. It's a great bike... and reasonably priced when put alongside more exotic brands. I was toying with getting a 2nd set of wheels to have with thinner tyres on for touring, but now I've worked out the stock rims will safely take down to 32 width tyres I'm just going to have a spare set of thinner tyres. I commute on it, ride through forests and use it as a munro access bike up here in Scotland. The only time the 2.1" tyres are a drag (haha) is if I go out with friends on road bikes, which is infrequent. 

OP Herdwickmatt 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Simonfarfaraway: That vagabond looks great fun, but is probably more towards the my end of the spectrum than I need. I have a hard tail 26er so it might be too much cross over. 

Dark-Cloud 15 Apr 2021
In reply to 65:

I was just going to suggest a Cotic Escapade, i don't have one but did have a Soul from them years back and they are great to deal with and make fine bikes.

If wanted steel an Escapade with GRX on it is where i would be spending my money, you might be able to squeeze it in under 2K with a bit of shopping around

Brown 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

What type of brakes have you got on it?

TobyA 15 Apr 2021

> I like the look of steel frames (probably a hangover from my dad's road bike racing days) and want hydraulic brakes.

<sucks his teeth and makes a pained expression> "gonna cost yer mate..."

I've got Tiagra hydraulics on my gravel bike - they're superb compared to the mechanical brakes on my old CX, I wouldn't want to go back (although I'm still impressed with the rim brakes on my relatively elderly road bike!). But I was quite happy with an aluminium frame, so only needed to spend 1000 (although that felt like quite a lot at the time!). I do think steel frames look nice but so does everyone else, so I guess that accounts for the price premium! Totally understand if that's what you really want, but my gravel bike takes quite a beating being my year round commuter, bikepacking bike, used regularly on local a bit to rocky bridleways etc. so now it's a few years old and has some scratches and so on, I'm glad I don't feel precious about it even though I love it! 

Good luck on your search. Alpkit do a steel one I think, although it might be a tourer rather than a full on modern gravel bike... Might be worth a look.

65 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I was just going to suggest a Cotic Escapade, i don't have one but did have a Soul from them years back and they are great to deal with and make fine bikes.

Yes, great folk and great bikes. I have a Solarismax, best mountain bike I've ever owned.

GraB 15 Apr 2021

I'm just building up a similar type of bike for my wife at the moment. I looked very seriously at the Cotic Escapade and it was on a shortlist of 2. In the end I've gone for a 725 frame from Spa Cycles (A steel Elan - frameset only) in Harrogate. With an upgraded fork (Kinesis Tripster full carbon, 12mm thru, flat mount) this came to just over £500. Which was £200 cheaper than the Cotic. I prefer the look of the Cotic and the fact that it has thru axle on the rear. Neither of which justified the extra though and the fact that the Spa was 725 rather than an unknown (to me) Cromoly tubeset swayed me. The other factor that became an issue was that the Cotic has a +2.5mm chainline. Not a problem if you're buying a complete bike, but a real headache at the moment if you're building it from scratch. Basically this means you can't use Shimano road drivetrain without modification...moving the chainrings out from the spider. Which you can't do if you're wanting a 2x setup. Also, try and find a GRX front mech right now... nobody in the country seems to have one or can tell you when they might have stock. The simpler option would have been to go for a 1x setup.

The Elan is a very nicely finished frame but the guys in Spa Cycles were a bit "variable" when it came to their customer service....

I had a lot of other bits and pieces and some spare wheels already, so the outlay for the full build will be significantly less than a grand. If I was buying a similar bike for myself (I might be later in the year) then I think the choice would probably come down to either the Elan, a Cotic or if I'm feeling a bit more flush and I can wait for a few months I might go for a Fairlight Secan.

Post edited at 10:54
 DaveHK 15 Apr 2021
In reply to NorthernGrit:

> Genesis equilibrium?

Fairly limited off road potential with that but it depends how it will be used whether that will suit.

I don't have an Escapade but I'd consider one having had and loved the similar Roadrat.

The Sonder offerings look good but availability could be an issue.

thepodge 15 Apr 2021

Everyone loves Cotic so I bought an Escapade and hated it, sold it after 3 rides. 

ChrisJD 15 Apr 2021

My wife rides a flat barred Cotic Escapade gravel bike and loves it. She even prefers it over her carbon road bike on road rides around the Peak (wide bar stability/control, great (MTB) brakes and general comfort).

Dark-Cloud 15 Apr 2021
In reply to thepodge:

What was up with it ?

Despite me recommending it i don't think I would buy steel anyway, alloy seems better value, I quite like the look of the Kinesis Tripster AT as my next frame

Marek 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> What was up with it ?

> Despite me recommending it i don't think I would buy steel anyway, alloy seems better value, I quite like the look of the Kinesis Tripster AT as my next frame

So did I, so I bought one (Harris Green). Now that I've had it for a year... I still really like it!

Dark-Cloud 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Marek:

The Kinesis ? They do look good value, how does it handle the really rough stuff, some of my gravel rides are more MTB Lite than Gravel...

Marek 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

It has pretty much replaced my hardtail (but not the FS). For off-road stuff I use Maxxis Ravagers (40mm) at 30-35psi and can get up pretty much anything I could on an MTB (I tend to be power/skill limited rather than traction limited). Downhill though is another matter - loose stony stuff rapidly gets out-of-control if approached with an MTB mindset. The other thing which can be hard is fast and stony (chicken-heads, tennis balls...) flats where you need speed to fly over the rough. Suspension really earns it's keep here whereas on the Tripster you're really riding a fine line between fast enough to fly, but not so fast you lose control and crash. Hard on the hands too. On 90% of Peak District trails, the Tripster is fine - and arguably more engaging than an MTB. On the other 10% you'll be wishing for a FS MTB.

If it means anything to you, Cumberland Brook is OK, but about the enjoyment limit for the Tripster (for me). The Beast, is definitely too much (although I'm sure others with more bike handling skills could manage perfectly well). There's very much a wide band of doable-but-actually-not-much-fun.

The biggy for me is being able to string together lots of interesting off-road bits and still have fun on the road sections (Tripster is <5% slower than my road bike, even with the Ravagers). On an MTB the road bits were always a bit of a 'drag' - something to put up with in order to get to the next nice bit. A day out on the Tripster is simply a more complete and balanced experience - it's good on the road and good on the rough.

Dark-Cloud 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Marek:

Thanks, sounds good, unfortunately those routes mean nothing to me as I’m Lakes based, been using a Giant TCX and covering most ground I used to on a hardtail which is great but quickly gets out of shape on tennis balls etc, it’s amazing what it can do and I have no desire to go anywhere near an MTB again, could just do with something that can take 50mm tyres, not sure what the Tripster max is for tyres ?

Manboob 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but Croix de Fer? Would seem to tick a number of your boxes. 

Marek 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I can just about get 40mm plus mudguards. I suspect 50mm will be too tight, even without mudguards. The Tripster is more of a do-it-all bike rather than a drop-handle MTB - if you know what I mean.

thepodge 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> What was up with it ?

It rode like a wet noodle with an anchor attached. Replaced it with a Niner RLT which is by far the best bike I've ever owned. 

My mate has a Kinesis, can't remember if it's the Tripster or the G2, he's only a fraction slower than he is on his carbon race bike but it's far more capable. 

DaveHK 16 Apr 2021
In reply to thepodge:

> It rode like a wet noodle with an anchor attached. 

Are you a 'big lad'? I loved the spring in my roadrat frame but I heard lots of larger riders say it was just floppy.

didntcomelast 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:stuck your head in Alpkit at the Metrocentre (opp. the Marriott) they have some Sonder gravel bikes that may fit the bill  

Kimono 16 Apr 2021

fairlight secan would be at the top of my list...a touch over 2 grand but worth it I believe 

thepodge 16 Apr 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

82-83kg so not massive. To be honest the more someone says "steel is real" the less likely I am to like it. I've had a lot of highly regarded steel frames and always end up swapping them out for something more rigid. 

ChrisJD 16 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

... you know your next gravel bike has to be Ti, right ?   

.. and flat barred

(UKC: there's back story to this)

TobyA 16 Apr 2021
In reply to ChrisJD:

After getting battered about while supposedly "showing", but actually often "chasing", my supposedly beginner mate Tony - who has gone out and bought a lovely Orange hardtail - around the Five Dales Route today, my 'next bike priorities' has gone back to something with suspension! Tony is going for it on an MTB a bit like he goes for it on a redpoint burn - all out and willing to skip a clip/not scrub some speed if needs be!  

MattyP - this came up on my phone last night https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/best-budget-gravel-bikes/ and the Vitus looks like it would fit your requirements and hadn't been mentioned so far I don't think. Looks very nice actually.

Post edited at 18:47
OP Herdwickmatt 16 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Cheers for the link the Vitus looks decent. I’ve got some thinking to do.... too many choices!

I do find it a bit ridiculous that some of their “budget” bikes are touching on £2k. I get a decent salary but 2000 is still a fair chunk so would hate to think how someone with less dosh manages in this sport. 

Marek 16 Apr 2021

> Cheers for the link the Vitus looks decent. I’ve got some thinking to do.... too many choices!

> I do find it a bit ridiculous that some of their “budget” bikes are touching on £2k. I get a decent salary but 2000 is still a fair chunk so would hate to think how someone with less dosh manages in this sport. 

"Budget" is relative. There are perfectly decent bikes for <1000. Any you don't have to buy new.

Hooo 16 Apr 2021

I read these threads for a view of another world. I wouldn't normally join in, but I can't resist this time.

You're looking for a general purpose commuter / mucking about bike. You can get something that will do the job for about £350. A grand will get you something nice. By all means spend as much as you like on something nice, but it's certainly not necessary to spend that much to take part in cycling.

TobyA 16 Apr 2021

> I do find it a bit ridiculous that some of their “budget” bikes are touching on £2k. I get a decent salary but 2000 is still a fair chunk so would hate to think how someone with less dosh manages in this sport.

Yep - totally agree. When I bought my Boardman three years ago it was 999.90 or something like that and it was the most I had ever spent on a bike, but since they let cycle to work schemes go over 1000 and it seems to have released the cap on prices rather.

Having said that I think Decathlon and maybe Alpkit/Sonder have some well regarded gravel bikes at under a grand, although not with a classic looking steel-is-real frame!

ChrisJD 16 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

You're welcome to take my SolMax out for a spin if you're in the market for a hardtail.

Best hardtail I've owned by a long way and I've owned a few (commencal x2, DMR. Airdrop and Sondor in recent years).

thepodge 17 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I find that guide hard to follow. The Vitus gets a + for using 725 steel, the Ribble gets a - for using 725 steel and the Marin has a + for steel adds weight. 

Basically just your classic online list or stuff used as filler without any thought going into it. 

Post edited at 07:52
 TobyA 17 Apr 2021
In reply to thepodge:

Yep - but it was more that I hadn't seen there was a Vitus steel bike anywhere else so thought the OP might be interested. Not up to the high standards of our group reviews here on UKC of course!

TobyA 17 Apr 2021
In reply to ChrisJD:

Cheers Chris, that would be great although I suspect my partner might not be so chuffed if I said I was going to buy a new bike that cost about the same as her car!

ChrisJD 17 Apr 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Bikes should cost more than cars - they're more important 😉

Marek 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Thanks, sounds good, ... could just do with something that can take 50mm tyres, not sure what the Tripster max is for tyres ?

Measured mine - there's about 7-8mm minimum clearance (a bit more, 9-10mm,  at the front) around my 40mm tyres. So 50mm is pushing it at the back, but probably OK at the front. There's always the option of 650B wheels which usually provide more clearance, but I don't have any so can't judge.

In my opinion, you should find a Genesis Equilibrium. This one should definitely do the trick in the most efficient manner.

BuzyG 18 Apr 2021
In reply to @drenaline_junki3!:

Yes I thought from a glance at your profile. That was the answer to the SWCP thread too  Perhaps you could ride down for the day.

Post edited at 23:53
 Ragingpossum 26 Apr 2021

Might be a bit over your target budget but I can highly recommend a Shand Stoater, I run mine with 32mm GravelKing Plus tyres and it zipps along for more urban commuting but also takes up to 48mm tyres for off road adventures.

Plus you can personalise your colour scheme which is a great bonus.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...