UKC

Stolen bike :(

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi everyone,

My bike was stolen from Canary Wharf yesterday. I've talked to the on site security/ police but i don't hold much hope of it being found. I am going to keep and eye on ebay and gumtree in the hope i see it and can go 'steal' it back.

I was wondering if there's any other places i should be keeping a lookout. Bike forums, markets etc.
Brick Lane is pretty renowned for it but I heard there was a crack down so the thieving c**ts have probably found new ground to peddle their stolen gear.

Its a Beone Diablo.
Carbon Frame, black&white
Shimano 105 groupset
Selle Italia seat.

I'm sure it will be stripped down but if anyone sees a bike like this...feel free to stick a umbrella through the wheels.

Cheers.

Lloyd
 sleavesley 08 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy: http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp

No use now I know, but for future reference. Good luck getting the bike back.
 Peakpdr 13 Nov 2012
In reply to sleavesley:

thats ace.. Am defo getting one of them
Power Bowers 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy:

Had my bike stolen from the same place a few months ago, by the waterfront. Very little interest shown by the authorities or the local businesses, but equally very little they can do - this is London!
In reply to Lloydy Boy: Where was it taken from? was it chained up on the street or from a car park?
 Peakpdr 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Power Bowers:

The local plod should maybee set up a sting.. It seams to be a on going problem round there
JMGLondon 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy:
Hi - bit late to the thread but keep an eye out for your bike on Bikeshd.co.uk . It "scapes" all bike adds from Gumtree and Ebay and puts them in one place. You might just see your bike pop up. I think this is london only at the moment. *site is also down at the moment*
 alooker 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy: ouch, sorry to hear that. When I had mine nicked the police woman told me they keep them for a few months sometimes and sell them on again when you/the police are less likely to be on the lookout for it. I kept an eye out on Brick lane but never saw it again...
In reply to Lloydy Boy: That little tracker device looks awesome.

Game of Conkers- It was stolen from under the Canary Wharf station DLR bridge.It was locked to a sheffield bike stand.No sign of the lock when I got out there.
I went straight to the security office and they said they were getting roughly 2 bikes a day stolen. Makes me think it must be the same cretins everyday and a sting operations would be worth it. To cyclists anyway. I'm sure the Police aren't too bothered.

Website looks good as well. Hope it's running again soon!
 balmybaldwin 13 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy:

Looked at that tracker device, looks good, apart from it is easily removable, and I'm not sure sinking your star washer that far down the head-tube is necessarily a good idea...
In reply to Lloydy Boy: Amazing how brazen these scumbags are, If you mean the bridge crossing South Collonade (the road from the station to the post office), then that is busy with pedestrians all day. Also that would definitely have CCTV coverage. Have you seen the Canary Wharf management CCTV smart cars dotted around the roads 24/7 as well? Maybe worth asking them again if there is any coverage of the spot where your bike was nicked.
 muppetfilter 14 Nov 2012
In reply to Lloydy Boy: One thing that does piss me off is the lack of Police action on the recipients of stolen bikes, in my area there is a bunch of scrotes that cruise about on £2000 bikes. The giveaway signs are a really bad paint job and incorrect sizeing and I would suspect a filed off serial number on the bottom bracket.
 off-duty 14 Nov 2012
In reply to muppetfilter:

I agree with your frustration, but....

We may just be able to justify a stop and search, and we might even be able to justify seizing the bike. We then have the issue of proving it is stolen and who the owner is. If as you say it has been repainted, a few bits have been moved around and a serial number has been filed off - we are going to struggle to prove he didn't "just buy it off some lad second hand."
At which point he gets his bike back and we have wasted a lot of time.

Conversely, were you to be stopped on your racer, and because you can't produce a receipt you were arrested and your bike was seized, I don't think you would be too happy with the police either.
 muppetfilter 14 Nov 2012
In reply to off-duty: The thing is that genuine owners of very expensive bikes don't brush paint them with hammerite.
 paget 14 Nov 2012
In reply to muppetfilter: Don't blame the players, blame the game.
The law is money making scheme for a huge industry, it's not the police who make the law.
In reply to Lloydy Boy: In all fairness to the Police, they do seem to be cracking down a bit (in London anyway). I've had several phonecalls from them asking for details of the bike and a photo. Apparently they have been doing house raids & stuff like that. They aren't going to get everyone's bikes back, but they seem to recognise that if someone steal a £1000 + bike a day they are making a lot of money- so it's not really petty crime.

Anyway fingers crossed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...