UKC

'Stolen' rear road wheel

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Messy 10 Nov 2020

On the 1st September I was riding up Holme Moss when I bumped into three well equipped keen cyclists in difficulty. I pulled over to find one of their back wheels had snapped several spokes. I offered to lend them a spare wheel as I live fairly close so they could get back to Cawthorne near Barnsley where they said they were parked. Went back home, got spare, drove up to them. got them on their way. Swapped phone numbers, gave my address and..............nothing. The number I have does not work and the wheel has not been returned as promised. I am sure there is a genuine mistake somewhere. If anyone does hear about a cyclist swapping a 9 speed wheel for a 10 speed on Holme Moss due to spoke failure could you kindly point them my way. Thank you 

Post edited at 11:19
 ThunderCat 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

What a crap way to deal with a good Samaritan.

GrahamD 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Fingers crossed.  We all like to think there is some karma out there for helping other cyclists.

mcdougal 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

I was cycling up a hill a few months ago and happened to ride into clag near the top. I stopped to attach my lights but it took me a while to find the little rubber clip that fixes my rear light onto my seat post. I knew it was in my bag, but I just couldn't lay my hands on it. 
While I was rummaging, two different people stopped to ask if I was ok and see if I needed a hand with anything. That care that cyclists show to one another is really great to see.

I really hope you get your wheel back.

Jonny 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

That's rubbish. Let's hope it was a genuine mistake of some kind.

On the other hand, it might not be. Someone once nicked one of my wheels on New Year's Day, which I thought was funny enough to compose a song about resolutions. Took the edge off, at least.

kevin stephens 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Have you tried Strava flyby?

RX-78 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Did you get their address? Otherwise it seems you are dependent on them contacting you. One tip when swapping numbers is to always test it straight away. Were they wearing club gear? If so try the club?

abr1966 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Tricky one....hard to not think that you've been had! You did a good thing and it really is a positive aspect of cycling......whenever ive been helped or help others it leaves a warm glow.

Im guessing you have posted on other sites like bikeradar or emailed local clubs...?

ThunderCat 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Jonny:

> That's rubbish. Let's hope it was a genuine mistake of some kind.

In fact, yes.  This.  I'm trying to think the best of people after realising that I'm turning into a right grump with old age, always thinking the worst of people etc.

I drove back to Asda last year after realising I'd left a bag of shopping in the trolley.  Punched myself in the head for being so stupid for the entire journey there (it was the bag with the expensive bits in).  Got back to the trolley bay and it was empty.  Pretty much cursed the entire human race for being a bunch of thieving ***rds but thought I'd check inside the store anyway. 

Someone had handed it in, untouched.

OP Mr Messy 10 Nov 2020
In reply to RX-78:

Yes good shout but I was off guard. I rode up the hill with one of them, chatting away. At no time did I get the impression other than they were of sound repute and in need of a bit of help.

Enty 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Are you on Faceache? You should post this on the Road Cycling UK page.

E

In reply to kevin stephens:

> Have you tried Strava flyby?

Strava turned off "Fly by" in a recent upgrade.  You can turn it back on manually, but it seems almost no one has.

kevin stephens 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Oh, I hadn't realised having bolted by bike to my turbo for the foreseeable future.  Flyby was quite fun but I guess it's fallen victim to GDPR, 

RX-78 10 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

Also maybe post on bikeradar and  Singletrackworld forums?

OP Mr Messy 10 Nov 2020

Not considered Bikeradar and other forums surgested in this thread. BIG Hugs for the nudging. 👍😁

wilkie14c 11 Nov 2020
In reply to Mr Messy:

A cycling youtuber called katie kookaburra has a lot of followers and the Holme Moss climb features a lot in her videos. Perhaps contact Katie and ask her to post on her social media? Got to be a few 1000 extra who will see it. 

youtube.com/watch?v=PdYSxqwn8Ac&

Post edited at 09:57

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...