UKC

TdF, Giro and Vuelta squad sizes cut for 2017

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 30 Nov 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38112405

"Teams in cycling's three Grand Tours will be reduced from nine riders to eight from the start of 2017."

I'm in two minds about this one. Its only really the TdF which seems to 'suffer' in this way in any case and by reduceing riders it could make the outcome more luck dependent if teams lose important domestiques early on. Teams may concentrate even more on single objectives with no place for any young riders, sprinters or breakaway riders in GC teams for instance.
OP GrahamD 30 Nov 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

That'll teach me for getting cycling news from the BBC. Politics aside, though, I'm not sure I think the format needs to change.
 Jimbo C 30 Nov 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

I'm actually quite pleased about this because it should make things more interesting for spectators. Less domination by one extremely strong team and hopefully more individual GC riders battling it out.

I do agree with you that only the TdF seems to be like that. The Veulta this year saw some fantastic individual battles.
OP GrahamD 30 Nov 2016
In reply to Jimbo C:

> I'm actually quite pleased about this because it should make things more interesting for spectators. Less domination by one extremely strong team and hopefully more individual GC riders battling it out.

I'm not sure that will be the effect. The loss of one or more domestiques to most teams will just be more significant than it already is. The only 'problem' with the TdF is that the best team with the strongest leader is winning - but then it usually does !
 Chris the Tall 30 Nov 2016
In reply to balmybaldwin:

UCI vs ASO - who do you think will win that one ?

It's a good change and an obvious reaction to the way cycling is going - hopefully just the first step and maybe get down to 7. Yes maybe the races could have consulted the teams a bit earlier but would it really make any difference ? Is JV really trying to claim he signed a specific rider to be 9th man at the tour ? No doubt Marc Madiot has thrown his toys out of the pram as well !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...