UKC

This isn't good news

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 balmybaldwin 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User:

No. Just looked up the race, motorcycle outriders, but not rolling road blocks or any official road closures.

Very sad.
Jimbo W 03 Mar 2013

Really sad news....
....I remember going through Torridon when the Bealach na Ba was on years ago and we were exactly at the wrong moment before we realised what was going on and then weren't able to pull over or overtake. So we just sat back and tried to keep moving at the cyclists pace giving as much space as possible to the riders to overtake us. Unbelievably, two other cars got impatient and tried to overtake bikers and us, which failed and almost knocked a rider off who luckily sped up just in time.

Just heard about this on my cycling club's facebook page - very sad indeed.

A bit more info here - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/rider-killed-in-collision-with-c...

He'd not long joined the team.
Chateauneuf du Boeuf 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User: This is really sad news. Unfortunately many have feared such an incident was only a matter of time. Rolling road closures only apply for UCI and National A category races. In all other races marshals only have the power to warn oncoming traffic.

Having raced a lot in many races at national B level, I have seen many near misses, in some cases this was due to riders attacking on the wrong side of the road on blind bends, on others simply, narrow roads and unwary drivers and sometimes just down right aggressive driving. Though of course I do not presume to know the circumstances of this incident.

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of the fallen cyclist.
 woolsack 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User: Some of the TT courses are an accident waiting to happen too
Chateauneuf du Boeuf 03 Mar 2013
In reply to woolsack: The solution for TTs is perhaps a tad easier, forget the time and instead focus more on the competition. I'm not much of a tester, but the nat 25 last year on the A19 seemed a complete farce. The problem in road races is that at some point your going to have to be on the wrong side of the road. And even if you don't venture over, on tighter, twistier circuits cars may well do so.
 Oujmik 03 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User: Condolences to the family a horrible loss for them and shockinf day for the sport. I think this could change everything for UK road racing. Either it will be pushed off the road completely or road closures will become compulsory and it will priced off the road. I have competed in a number of road races and I have to admit I never really felt safe. The roads are too narrow for a bunch - all jostling for position, avoiding potholes and trying to move up - to fit into one lane with cars coming the other way. Even with the outstanding work of volunteer marshals and NEG motorcyclists the prospect of a serious accident never felt far away.
Removed User 04 Mar 2013

Here is a little more:

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about/article/bc20130303-Statement--Rider-...

As with threads that discuss climbing related deaths it would perhaps be appropriate to confine comments to sympathy for the deceased and his family and create another thread for discussion of the circumstances?

To the young man's family - sorry for your loss.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...