UKC

Tour de France 🇫🇷 - contains spolier

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 elsewhere 20 Jun 2024

Good news!

"Two-time defending champion Jonas Vingegaard will compete in this year's Tour de France after overcoming serious injuries sustained earlier this season."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/articles/czvvz4lp9e0o

bobpilgrem 20 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

UK Cycling ?

chiroshi 21 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Could be an interesting (not necessarily for good reasons) Tour. GC could be decided on day one if UAE go out all guns blazing, and Cav could get his record on stage three. Then some riders might leave early to prep for the Olmypics. I think it'll be a good year for the small teams and breakaway stage wins. 

Bobling 21 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

I know it's entry level compared to some of the knowledge on this thread but I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the second series of Unchained on Netflix.  I know it doesn't cover hardly any of the teams and has huge editorial bias but I found it a good watch!

Bobling 28 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Slight panic going on at ChateauxBobling - how do I watch the TdF this year?  Oh OK, ITV again.  Panic over!

crayefish 28 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

I feel like this year's tour is already getting spoiled... Dan won't be presenting on Eurosport (he was the best one), it will be the last tour we can watch without some ridiculous huge discovery TV package (same thing meant I stopped watching F1) and it's likely to be a Pogacar walkover as the other contenders are all recovering from issues.

The only excitement for me will be the chance of Sir Cav breaking the record... I'll be sure to watch the sprint stages!

OP elsewhere 28 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

I'd love the brave knight's story to have fairytale ending.

Gazmataz 28 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

I find the ITV coverage superior to Eurosport. Will they not have coverage of it next year? 

felt 28 Jun 2024
In reply to Gazmataz:

Yes, I like the weird posh TT beanpole former drug-cheat aesthete.

veteye 29 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

It's the Italian part of France today.

No doubt the Medici did some underhand stuff to get it starting in Florence.

GrahamD 29 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

"A" record, not "the" record.  Its not the most stacked TdF for sprinters so fingets crossed.   Astanna have pushed the boat way out for him.

Pedro50 29 Jun 2024

Same bloody adverts on ITV4, just who do they think watches the Tour!?

bouldery bits 29 Jun 2024
In reply to felt:

He's my fave

felt 29 Jun 2024
In reply to bouldery bits:

Me too. You see this, another side of Dave?  youtube.com/watch?v=R60iAwh6e6I&

Rampart 29 Jun 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

>  just who do they think watches the Tour!?

Donkey afficionados, timepiece perverts and ailing pensioners, apparently.

In reply to elsewhere:

It looks like a very tough first day, 206k and currently it’s approximately 35c 🥵

Edit 38c?

Post edited at 12:54
 Andy Clarke 29 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

What a fantastic finish. 

Pedro50 29 Jun 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Magical.

crayefish 29 Jun 2024
In reply to Christheclimber:

This and the last tour were some of the most mountainous ever... the sceptic in me wonders whether the frenchies are trying their best to preserve Merckx's record.  Hmmmm

Glug 29 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

You do know Merckx was from Belgium don't you? Why would you think they are trying to preserve it?

crayefish 30 Jun 2024
In reply to Glug:

No shit sherlock.  Who do you think the French would be more amicable to... the Brexity brits or their French speaking Belgian brothers?

OP elsewhere 30 Jun 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Great to see the old fox and the young kid prevail.

Three jerseys for the team - yellow, green and white.

Post edited at 11:20
 Glug 30 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

Muppet😒

OP elsewhere 30 Jun 2024

I didn't realise ITV4 were doing live coverage, so if you're having a lazy sunday, monday, tuesday...

Post edited at 12:06
 eschaton 30 Jun 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Watching on ITV4, not a fan of the musical interludes. 

Seems the wit has gone from the commentary also.

Pedro50 30 Jun 2024
In reply to eschaton:

Still better than the old Phil & Paul double act.

crayefish 30 Jun 2024
In reply to Glug:

> Muppet😒

What crawled up your arse?  🤣

Glug 30 Jun 2024
In reply to crayefish:

People who are just a bit thick, thinking they are clever😉 I'm sure you realise what an idiot you come across as, first implying Merckx was French and then suggesting Cav was a brexiteer when he's from the isle of Man😒

OP elsewhere 01 Jul 2024

Looks like Vingegard is in good form to match Pogacar, fingers crossed for an epic battle.

crayefish 01 Jul 2024
In reply to Glug:

> People who are just a bit thick, thinking they are clever😉 I'm sure you realise what an idiot you come across as, first implying Merckx was French and then suggesting Cav was a brexiteer when he's from the isle of Man😒

That accolade resides with you given that I have never once suggested Mercks was Belgian (being a cycling enthusiast I'm fully aware he's Belgian) and I also didn't suggest Cav was a brexiteer.  Brits was the term used... remember we left the EU?  Try reading properly before you jump up on your high horse old boy.

GrahamD 01 Jul 2024
In reply to Rampart:

Ailing pensioner - count me in.

GrahamD 01 Jul 2024
In reply to crayefish:

I don't think the French particularly enjoyed Merckx dominating their race.  At the end of the day, the TdF isn't about sprinters- thats just a side show.

You can't tailor the route just to make it easy for them.

ablackett 01 Jul 2024
In reply to GrahamD:

In an attempt to get things back on track.

Cav for the win today?

Thumbs up = yes

Thumbs down = no

Ill be going full radio silence, phone off, radio off until I get home and can watch it with the kids.

felt 01 Jul 2024
In reply to ablackett:

> things back on track

Yes, all this silly sniping on what should be a light-hearted fun thread leaves me a bit board.

Glug 01 Jul 2024
In reply to crayefish:

We did leave the EU, but the isle of Man was never in the EU.

Bobling 01 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Anyone else struggling to find the live coverage on ITV this morning?

I can find highlights and the entire stage for Saturday and Sunday but nothing for today...

Post edited at 10:33
OP elsewhere 01 Jul 2024
In reply to Bobling:

Monday 1 Jul

yesterday's highlights 1pm

live 2pm

today's highlights 7pm

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/channel/itv4

I'm guessing it gets shoved around the schedule and between itv4 and STV (for me) if they have football coverage.

Post edited at 10:47
 Bobling 01 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Cheers, it's just not being shown live till 2 then! Frustrating but glad I'm not just being dense.

cragtyke 01 Jul 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Beware, if Cav does win, there may be a mention on the news on TV or the BBC website. I've been caught out by them before!

Pedro50 01 Jul 2024
In reply to cragtyke:

Yes staying in purdah is very difficult in the modern era. The BBC announced the result of something on the 6.00 news despite themselves offering highlights at 7.00. Irritating.

OP elsewhere 01 Jul 2024

UCI experimental rule changes, crashes "didn't count" in final 5km rather than the usual 3km today, same time if 3s gap within the group crossing the line rather than 1s plus a system of yellow cards for riders and drivers - two cards and you're out of the tour de france. Strange restrictions on radios - only two riders per team have radios?

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/the-uci-introduces-new-measures-to-promote...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racing/yellow-cards-to-be-trialled-in-pro-cyc...

At least it's not sock lengths.

Post edited at 20:24
 crayefish 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Unlucky that Cav's chance didn't materialise but at least he didn't suffer really bad luck and go down.  Let's hope he a shot in stages 5 and 6, especially the latter.

Lovely for Girmay though!

veteye 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

I note the Col du Galibier, which rises to 2642m. I think that the highest that the Tour has been this time prior to today is the Col de Valico, at 930m. So do any of the teams take their riders to a higher level, when not racing (I suspect not) during the period of eating/rest after the end of a stage? So otherwise how do the riders acclimatise to the height? Surely some of them will suffer at least a little altitude sickness, and even a headache does not help when you are racing your heart out.

At least the stage ends up down in Valloire at 1413m.

Post edited at 08:12
 nufkin 02 Jul 2024
In reply to veteye:

> Surely some of them will suffer at least a little altitude sickness,

Presumably the speed with which they go up and down again limits the symptoms (along with the training)

Glug 02 Jul 2024
In reply to veteye:

They do altitude training camps before the tour, most of the contenders will have come straight from one of those camps.

65 02 Jul 2024
In reply to veteye:

As said, altitude training is normal and essential otherwise the riders who lived in the Alps or Colombia would have a huge advantage. Mostly this will be training at altitude, hill reps of Teide in Tenerife being popular. I recall Bradley Wiggins saying he slept in an hypoxic tent at home prior to his Tours with Sky.

Tricky Dicky 02 Jul 2024
In reply to 65:

Bradley Wiggins saying he slept in an hypoxic tent at home

He was also on a cabbage soup diet, the build up of gas in the tent was apparantly quite impressive...............

Maggot 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

And they're off.

Can Vinnygor handle the altitude?

In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Shame about Wiggins current predicament.

Post edited at 12:23
 nufkin 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Tufty's on the prowl! It's going to be an exciting July

In reply to nufkin:

Wow. Statement of intent by Pogačar

but I was amazed that Vingegaard stayed with his attack nearly to the summit, only 9 seconds down at the top. He faded in the last 10km, but given it’s his first real test since the crash, that’s a good performance I think

and a good day for Evenepoel- second on GC, with the ITT to come- he must figure he can take some of that time back there. 

overall- I thought it might have been over already, given the form Pogačar has been in, and the injuries to the other 3 main contenders- he’s got a clear advantage now, but not the killer blow it might have been- Vingegaard has got a week of flat stages and a rest day to get some more race condition back

OP elsewhere 02 Jul 2024
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Vingegaard was looking isolated, UAE had strength in depth.

Evenepoel - it would be great to have three contenders.

Glug 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

> Vingegaard was looking isolated,

True, but I would think he's pretty happy with his performance on the climb, he should be getting stronger as the tour goes on and the last week looks brutal.

In reply to elsewhere:

Yes- the turnaround in relative strength of Visma Lease a Bike and UAE Team Emirates in less than a year is dramatic. 

Overall, I can’t see anyone other than Pogačar winning- but looks promising for it being an actual competition rather than a procession. 

And from Pogačar’s perspective- if he doesn’t beat Vingegaard this year, he’s never going to…

RobAJones 02 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

> Vingegaard was looking isolated,

But given the concensus was that he would struggle in the first few days and get better by the third week he looked comfortable until Pog attacked and  only lost a few seconds before the top. 

>UAE had strength in depth.

I was worried before the start that it might be similar to last year's vuelta, that isn't going to happen, but that I'm thinking that strength might be important later on is a good sign for exciting racing. 

> Evenepoel - it would be great to have three contenders.

He hasn't matched the acceleration of the top two when Pog has attacked uphill , but he has looked impressive closing that gap the flatter run ins. He may well narrow the gap in the TT. 

Andy Clarke 03 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

He's done it!

In reply to Andy Clarke:

Well done Cav, record breaker!

KeithWakeley 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Awesome to watch! He might be getting on a bit, but that was a masterclass of experience of surfing the right wheels over the raw power of the yoofs. He made it look easy in the end. 

Abr 03 Jul 2024
In reply to KeithWakeley:

Wow!!! I somehow thought he wouldn’t!!!!

Pedro50 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Abr:

I was a doubter, makes it all the sweeter.

earlsdonwhu 03 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Not a perfect lead out, and a bit chaotic but that  allowed him to use his guile and experience to burst free. Good effort for an old boy!

OP elsewhere 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Clarke:

Unbelievable!

Several generations of retired sprinters will be shaking their heads in wonderment.

Fantastic to see every rider wanting to congratulate him.

Post edited at 18:34
OP elsewhere 03 Jul 2024
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

Classic Cav surfing between lead out trains.

How many more sprint stages before Nice (TT)?

Post edited at 18:37
In reply to elsewhere:

> Classic Cav surfing between lead out trains.

- utilizing every gap there were and making some where there were none.

Brilliant sprint by the old man.

OP elsewhere 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Another sprint stage on Thursday...

Wimlands 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

It was brilliant camerawork to catch the action. It showed just how very good he is, at one point really fighting for position, the next finding the right wheels and then timing the final sprint.

RX-78 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Wimlands:

Really enjoyed watching that, brought back memories of his earlier wins, always amazing to watch him pick the right wheels, find the gaps etc.. Will the fight to win die down a bit now for the other staged?

crayefish 03 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Unbelievable!!!  I missed the race as my boss turned up and of course it was impossible to watch the highlights on youtube without the result being spoiled, but so bloody happy for Cav!!!!  Emotional

65 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RX-78:

>  Will the fight to win die down a bit now for the other staged?

No chance! It's in his blood. He'd pull out now if that was all that mattered. My biggest concern for Cav is the adjustment he'll have to make when he is no longer racing. Plus, I think he's only 3 wins off Cippolini's record for number of stage wins across all three grand tours. 

Glug 04 Jul 2024
In reply to 65:

He' close to Cippolini, but he's still 10 behind Merckx over all 3 grand tours.

stubbed 04 Jul 2024
In reply to crayefish:

I managed to avoid all headlines and social media and my husband never mentioned it, so it was a total shock for when I watched the highlights at 10pm

65 04 Jul 2024
In reply to Glug:

Ah, thanks. I guess the Cippi record is only for sprints.

ablackett 04 Jul 2024
In reply to Glug:

Seb Piquet missed a trick there in the post race interview, he could have asked Cav if he was now thinking about breaking the Merckx record for most GT stage wins.  I wonder if Cav would have realised it was a joke or got up and thumped him.

Only a Crag 04 Jul 2024
In reply to 65:

Pogačar has 12 at 25- Cav should bag as many more as he can to make sure he isn't caught down the line 

Glug 04 Jul 2024
In reply to Only a Crag:

Cav told him not to break his record😁

kevin stephens 04 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Winning more stages would be great but surely his main ambition will be to beat the broom wagon over the alpine passes and survive until Nice?

RobAJones 04 Jul 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

If it was the normal finish I'd agree, but then his motivation would be to win the final sprint, not to just roll over the finish with a glass on champagne. I can't see an uphill TT having the same appeal for him. I'd go the other way if you offered him to finish with a win on stage 16 he'd take that. 

kevin stephens 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

I hadn’t realised that. Out goes the ethos of not challenging the yellow jersey on the last day then?

Graham Mck 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

It's his last TdF and, given how much respect he has for the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish even though it is a TT final stage.

RobAJones 04 Jul 2024
In reply to Graham Mck:

> It's his last TdF and, given how much respect he has for the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him finish even though it is a TT final stage.

I agree, but his and the teams priority will be attempting to win more stages. Do you think his team will risk other riders missing the time cut after stage 16? 

fimm 04 Jul 2024
In reply to Glug:

> Cav told him not to break his record😁

and Pog said that he didn't think that he could.

OP elsewhere 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

> I agree, but his and the teams priority will be attempting to win more stages. Do you think his team will risk other riders missing the time cut after stage 16? 

Cav is probably still Astana's best bet for a stage win, he's only once(?) been eliminated for missing the time cut in the Tour, the team is built around him, betting on Cav has paid off already and he's great PR for the team sponsors.

I don't think they'll change a winning formula or gamble (hiring Cav in 2023).

RobAJones 04 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

> Cav is probably still Astana's best bet for a stage win,

Which is why I said it would be their priority, but I think stage 16 is the last sprint stage. 

>he's only once(?) been eliminated for missing the time cut in the Tour

2018? but in the flip side he's only finished 2 tours since 2013. One of those was 2021 where he made the cut by a few seconds. Then he had Paris and the Green Jersey to motivate him and possibly more importantly his team to make the cut 

>the team is built around him, betting on Cav has paid off already and he's great PR for the team sponsors.

Big time. 

Edit 

Not the best time to get a mechanical. 

Post edited at 14:47
OP elsewhere 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

Good points.

I think he'll get to Nice unless he crashes, with the assistance of teammates* if necessary as he is the star.

*all or almost all of the team's eggs are in the Cavendish basket.

GrahamD 04 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

I hadn't realised he'd had such a patchy finishing record.

In reply to GrahamD:

> I hadn't realised he'd had such a patchy finishing record.

I don't know if I'd call it patchy if it is due to events that are out of his control.

Maggot 05 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

What do all the brown markers on stage 9 profile mean?

https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-9

OP elsewhere 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Maggot:

💩 stops?

No idea, I'll have a look in my guide.

Nope. Nothing in the guide.

JLS beat me to it.

Post edited at 09:32
 JLS 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Maggot:

Gravel sectors. I.e. non tarmac road surface.

Maggot 05 Jul 2024
In reply to JLS:

Ah, thanks. Always a good one to watch. (after the mountains)

OP elsewhere 05 Jul 2024

Cav fined for draughting and Philipsen relegated for deviating from his line in sprint.

Jon Greengrass 05 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

More importantly Cav was also docked time so he takes the lead in the Lanterne Rouge. Merckx hasn't even got one of those on his palmares.

GrahamD 05 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

So pretty much no change in GC today and no real surprises. 

Rampart 05 Jul 2024
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

> he takes the lead in the Lanterne Rouge

Best and worst at the same time? Give the man a knighthood.

GrahamD 06 Jul 2024
In reply to Rampart:

Hope he makes it to Nice, meanwhile can we get back to the actual race ? Social media seems to have forgotten all the other great stuff happening.

Fredt 06 Jul 2024
In reply to elsewhere:

Random questions for aficionados:

Is there a cut-off time in a TT?

Has there ever been a TT wholly or partially on cobbles?

Anybody seen the Devil yet?

RobAJones 06 Jul 2024
In reply to Fredt:

> Is there a cut-off time in a TT?

Yes, there is a cut for all stages, the percentage is based on a combination of expected stage difficulty and the average speed of the winner.

As the average speed on flatish TT's is high the cut off is usually generous enough to allow you to kiss your wife, if you think it's worth the fine 

Even so there have been occasions when the time limit has been ignored/changed. I think elsewhere is correct in that Cav has only been eliminated once, but I can think of at least two occasions when he (and others) missed the time cut and was later reinstated 

> Has there ever been a TT wholly or partially on cobbles?

Don't know but there wasn't much tarmac in the early days of the tour 

Edit Although the first TT wasn't until 30's and they tended to be a lot longer than they have been recently 

Post edited at 14:41
 GrahamD 06 Jul 2024
In reply to Fredt:

The cut off time for any stage is a function of the stage (rated 1 to 6).  For the individual TT it usually gets the most generous 6 allowance, which is within 30% of the winning time.

Rampart 08 Jul 2024
In reply to Fredt:

> Anybody seen the Devil yet?

I'm pretty sure there was a glimpse of him on one of the first stages, though the camera didn't linger.

OP elsewhere 08 Jul 2024
In reply to RobAJones:

> Edit Although the first TT wasn't until 30's and they tended to be a lot longer than they have been recently 

The very early tours were a comparable distance (France was big back then too) and duration (3 weeks) but only about six stages of 400km on mainly gravel roads using a fixed wheel.

They didn't do the high mountain passes* but absolutely brutal.

*I guess if the main roads were gravel the high mountain passes were suitable for driving livestock or pack animal routes at best.

ITV4 7pm Mon 8 July - rest day, highlights of week 1

Post edited at 12:40
OP elsewhere 21:34 Mon

Sprint stage on Tuesday, gingers crossed for Cav.

I'll leave the typo.

RobAJones 22:09 Mon
In reply to elsewhere:

> The very early tours were a comparable distance (France was big back then too) and duration (3 weeks) but only about six stages of 400km on mainly gravel roads using a fixed wheel.

> They didn't do the high mountain passes*

Isn't the story of Eugene Christophe breaking his forks and then carrying his bike to the next village,  on the descent of the Tourmulet,  from one of the very early Tours? Getting a time penalty because a child helped him, by operating the blacksmiths bellows, while he welded a repair, seemed a bit harsh

>but absolutely brutal.

Unbelievably so

GrahamD 10:25 Tue
In reply to RobAJones:

Quite right too.  Next thing you know riders will be stopping off for a quick snog.  Nip it in the bud now, I say.

magma 14:48 Tue
In reply to elsewhere:

surprised no comments on stage 9- great to watch.

I notice Wiggo has been on LA's show: youtube.com/watch?v=LNAAHFWeqZ8&

Post edited at 14:49
 Abr 15:14 Tue
In reply to magma:

He really must be skint!!

In reply to elsewhere:

Well he’s up there in position with 6km to go, keep your ‘gingers’ crossed.

OP elsewhere 17:32 Tue

Oh well, no luck for Cav despite the best efforts of my gingers.

Philipsen must be relieved to get a win.

In reply to elsewhere:

Philipsen looked very strong, unfortunately Cav was well out of it. 

Maggot 20:39 Tue
In reply to elsewhere:

What was that smashed up bike all about? When he got himself out of the ditch it was in one piece, did he trash it at the end?

Unlucky to damage his ankle.

GrahamD 20:45 Tue
In reply to elsewhere:

All about the race for green now.

In reply to GrahamD:

Well I didn’t see that coming. Pogačar must be crestfallen after that- nearly a 40 second lead at one point, but caught on the 2nd last climb, and then beaten in a sprint. Big mountains to come- I think he’ll have wanted to take a bigger lead over Vingegaard into those than he has. 

Advantage Vingegaard?

That was very impressive from Vingegaard, especially considering his crash in April of this year. Game on.

nufkin 16:14 Wed

>  That was very impressive from Vingegaard

Very much so - hopefully it won't temper Pog's ranging attacks, though, since they're making for exciting viewing

GrahamD 17:07 Wed

Hard to say. Jonas went very deep there and it looked as though Tadej didn'tbury himself over the top.. Also, Jonas' mountain domestiques didn't cope with UAE.  Over 3 weeks it might tell, and Tadej is still over a minute up.

I don't think Tadej was expecting to be beaten in the sprint, though.  What a tour.

felt 17:15 Wed

> Advantage Vingegaard?

Did we find out what happened to Pogi's tyre?

OP elsewhere 18:45 Wed

Fantastic stage, go Jonas!

Still a good lead for Pogacar, but no longer looking invincible.

Post edited at 18:45
OP elsewhere 20:07 Wed
In reply to GrahamD:

Do you think Pogacar has it in him to race conservatively to defend rather than attack?

Roglic did what Roglic does - he crashed. A real pity.

In reply to elsewhere:

In last 3km so awarded same time as Evenepoel. But- yes, he does come off a lot. And even though he didn’t lose the extra 40 seconds in the end, he’s still over 2 mins down- I can’t see him making the podium. 

ablackett 08:56 Thu

> In last 3km so awarded same time as Evenepoel. 

That really surprised me, it seems that the 3km rule which used to just be for flat stages has been applied to all stages which aren't mountain top finishes.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/turin-opening-sprint-test-for-modified-uci...

Some modification is surely needed to that rule which means that if the rider was at fault, or caused the crash they aren't credited with the same time.  

While we are on with rule changes - the concussion protocol clearly isn't fit for purpose.  It would be much safer if a rider is suspected of having concussion they are put in the team car and assessed properly then dropped back into the race with the group they were with when they crashed, or if it's near the end they are just driven to the finish and start again the next day.  It's not perfect, but it has to be better than what happend to Aleksandr Vlasov.

OP elsewhere 11:00 Thu

Fantastic to see there's at least one person (Vingegard) who can match (and beat!!) Pogacar on a good day.

I doubt Pogacar on a good day can be dropped by anyone.

OP elsewhere 16:19 Thu

A great day for Girmay but another terrible day for Roglic.

Again polka dot jersey holder Abrahamsen as sprint leadout, that's incredible and up there with van Aert in green as mountain super domestique in 2022.

Maggot 19:15 Thu
In reply to elsewhere:

And he'll be off again tomorrow to bag the 2 polka points 

nufkin 09:58 Fri
In reply to Maggot:

And probably secure the super-combatif doorstop while at it

JLS 10:08 Fri
In reply to elsewhere:

I have to agreed with Cav, his relegation on the stage seems a bit harsh in view of the slowing rider he needed to avoid.  He'd been looking quite good in the run-up to the sprint but didn't get the sort of break needed to beat a rampaging Grimay.

GrahamD 10:14 Fri
In reply to nufkin:

There isn't any competition for that one so far.  It would be really tough if it went to someone top 3.

In reply to elsewhere:

> A great day for Girmay but another terrible day for Roglic.

I see that Roglic has pulled out after his crash yesterday.

OP elsewhere 13:12 Fri

> I see that Roglic has pulled out after his crash yesterday.

Blast! Or something stronger.

GrahamD 06:57 Sat
In reply to elsewhere:

Covid in UAE camp with Ayuso pulling out. That would be bad if it spread.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...