UKC

Tour de Yorkshire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 04 May 2019

Why the "de" rather than "of". They speak English in Yorkshire and French in France, so how and why did this name first apply to the Yorkshire tour? Why bastardise/copy the French Tour de France and mix the languages?  Serious question.

Will Hunt 04 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

A nod to the grand depart that started it off, and a bit of fun.

OP Trangia 04 May 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

Thanks. 

More-On 04 May 2019
In reply to Will Hunt:

> A nod to the grand depart that started it off, and a bit of fun.

Indeed, 'cote de' for the climbs always make me smile...

the sheep 04 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

As Will said it’s a non th le grand depart (must be said with french accent) and why the continue naming the climbs a la Tour de France way for example cote de greenhow hill

I like it and think it adds character to the race which is really becoming a major event.

Just look at the quality of the riders out there this year

In reply to More-On:

As in Cote de Buttertubs!

More-On 04 May 2019
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Absolutely, takes me back to boyhood rides out from my grandparents house in Leeds. In fact the 2nd sprint tomorrow is almost outside their old house...

Tom Valentine 04 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

I tried to Anglicise it/ Yorkify it in pub talk and got a dislike for it.

cragtyke 04 May 2019
In reply to Tom Valentine:

Tom, in tarn speak it'd be Tour er Yorkshire, so "de" flows better than "of" I think.

elsewhere 05 May 2019

Women"s race looking good with live coverage too.

Steve Wetton 05 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

But the Tour is “Tour de France” because ‘France’ is feminine. Yorkshire, don’t ask why, is masculine, and as we all know, you can’t say, ‘de le’, instead it becomes ‘du’.  

So calling it the Tour de Yorkshire highlights the organisers linguistic ignorance. By all means give a nod towards Le Tour, but call it the Tour du Yorkshire.

Here endeth today’s French lesson...... 

john arran 05 May 2019
In reply to Steve Wetton:

I look forward to the French race being 'corrected' to "Le tour de la France".

Steve Wetton 05 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

Absolutely, which maybe it originally is was, before being abbreviated through time?

Mike Highbury 05 May 2019

> Absolutely, which maybe it originally is was, before being abbreviated through time?

https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k4624741c/f1.item

Apparently not

Mr Fuller 05 May 2019

The organisers are French.

john arran 05 May 2019

I was curious, so looked up the 'rule':

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/fr-de-la-france-article.13968/

Steve Wetton 05 May 2019
In reply to john arran:

But nobody, as far as I know, can explain why most countries are feminine, but Canada, Portugal and Denmark for example are masculine

elsewhere 05 May 2019

> But nobody, as far as I know, can explain why most countries are feminine, but Canada, Portugal and Denmark for example are masculine

Rules, grammar and logic were grafted onto existing languages of illiterate populations. They're a late addition and not necessarily accurate reflection of usage then and now.

Which is definitive, usage or rules?

Post edited at 10:56
 Steve Wetton 05 May 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

True, but whatever the derivation, as far as usage today goes, there’s a right and a wrong!

Tom Valentine 05 May 2019
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Surely if he was French, the scoundrel would be called Verite ( two acute accents). Either way it's a bit of a misnomer, considering his form.

In reply to john arran:

> I look forward to the French race being 'corrected' to "Le tour de la France".

Or even Frances de la Tour

;~))

steveriley 05 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Kilnsey redpointer getting a starring role in the helicopter shot just now. Kudos 😀

Post edited at 14:39
 Matt Podd 05 May 2019
In reply to Trangia:

Watched them going up the Cote de Otley Chevin this afternoon towards the finish. Lovely atmosphere, loads of locals and friends. Great event!

the sheep 05 May 2019
In reply to Matt Podd:

What a finish to the race too. Fantastic stuff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...