UKC

Tour of Britain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GravitySucks 06 Jun 2018

I see that the route for this years Tour of Britain has been announced, is just me or does this seem like the 'poor relation' when compared to the Tour de Yorkshire

I hope this lycra is flame retardent !

Chris the Tall 06 Jun 2018
In reply to GravitySucks:

Tour de Yorkshire route announcement seems to be greeted with excitement. TofB on the other hand, always seems to be criticised for where it isn't going. This year there are the inevitable complaints that it shouldn't be called the Tour of Britain cos there is no stage in Scotland this year. Now apart from the fact that averaging 3 stages every 4 years is actually about right given the relative populations, people seem to forget the two main factors - councils have to bid to get the race, and there are logistical issues involved.

This is where the TDY seems to score, by allowing the teams to have in single base for the full race, and no long transfers, it's a lot more popular with the riders. The TofB route always seems a bit disjointed.

I see they've got a TTT this year, which I'm not convinced is a good idea. OK it's uphill, but only 14Km. Would have preferred to see a longer ITT - you could still do Cockermouth to Whinlatter but throw in Honister or Newlands - and make it a better prep for the Worlds.

Post edited at 11:33
 felt 06 Jun 2018

I'm very much looking forward to watching from halfway up Challacombe Hill.

Chris Harris 06 Jun 2018

Stage 7 goes right past my house. Hopefully this means some road resurfacing. 

GrahamD 06 Jun 2018

I think the timing of it is a major factor.  TdY is post Spring Classics but pre Grand Tours whereas ToB is after the TDF and clashes with the Vuelta.

Lord_ash2000 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Well, I can't complain as it's going through Cockermouth where I live and going up a lot of my local cycle roads. Although it further reduces my chances of ever getting a KOM on anything around here.

Guy 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

Good point it comes past our house too, maybe I will stop having to ride like a drunk as I swerve around the potholes.

Chris Harris 06 Jun 2018
In reply to Guy:

I also assume it means we have to go to the nearest hill so we can dress up in comedy outfits & run alongside the cyclists, offering our much needed encouragement, for which they will be forever grateful. 

GrahamD 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Chris Harris:

There's nothing like a beery six foot banana man to get those pedals turning just that bit faster !

OP GravitySucks 07 Jun 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> There's nothing like a beery six foot banana man to get those pedals turning just that bit faster !

Unless of course,  there's a ugly fat bloke in a mankini running along side you, the spectator equivalent of amphetamine guaranteed to give a burst of energy just to get away !

Chris Harris 07 Jun 2018

> Unless of course,  there's a ugly fat bloke in a mankini running along side you, the spectator equivalent of amphetamine guaranteed to give a burst of energy just to get away !

I can arrange that. 

Dark-Cloud 07 Jun 2018

It's as per usual more of a transfer challenge than a riding challenge, why on earth they have decided to have a TTT up to Whinlatter then truck everybody to Barrow for the stage start the next day to do Whinlatter twice again, surely those two stages need flipping.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...