UKC

Tour of Britain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GrahamD 29 Aug 2018

Just seen Sky's rosta for the Tour of Britain and on paper that is one hell of a team ! be interesting to see whether they go out for a victory for Wout Poels or just treat it as a victory lap for G.

Froome

Thomas

Poels

Stannard

Kiryenka

Wisniowski

abr1966 29 Aug 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Good to see....also good to see the tour of britain increasing in status over the years.

Chris the Tall 29 Aug 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Looking forward to seeing it near Worksop/Mansfield 

hope someone tells Thomas that his moustache is as ridiculous as his views on compulsory helmets.

OP GrahamD 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've not seen the context of those comments - were they real or are they just taken out of context and blown out of proportion ? Anyway there is a case for helmets to be compulsory for G 

Chris the Tall 30 Aug 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Not read the interview either, as it's behind a Murdoch paywall, but GT says it was just one comment in an hour long interview. But of course the Times uses it as it's headline. There was a time when the Times was quite keen on cycle safety issues - after one of it's journalists was seriously injured - but now appears to be following the Tory/UKIP line of blame and discourage.

Obviously GT needs to wear a helmet ! 

summo 30 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

> Good to see....also good to see the tour of britain increasing in status over the years.

Ah the days of the milk race!! 

coinneach 30 Aug 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

With that team they could quite easily do both.

abr1966 30 Aug 2018
In reply to summo:

> Ah the days of the milk race!! 

Agreed!! I have a white Peugeot Milk Race jersey from around 1982 I think....not sure where I got it but I used to wear it at the time and thought I was pretty slick!

Dave B 30 Aug 2018
In reply to abr1966:

It was; it still is! Still wearing it? 

abr1966 30 Aug 2018
In reply to Dave B:

I wish.....looks like it would fit a thin 12 year old boy these days......not the xxl cycling jerseys I wear now!!

Lord_ash2000 30 Aug 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

Looking forward to seeing them in action on the TT stage as it's up my local hill. Already put my time down, I took almost 50% longer than the pros will be doing it in. I'm putting it down to having to slow for junctions as the roads aren't closed for me.

> hope someone tells Thomas that his moustache is as ridiculous as his views on compulsory helmets.

Are the dislikes coming from moustache lovers, or those who believe helmets should be compulsory ? 

rocksol 30 Aug 2018

It would seem helmets are a very good idea for cyclists. Three weeks ago my wife iand me were hit by a Volvo. She suffered broken bones in each hand and her helmet was badly split, so no skull fracture. Her glasses were impacted into her forehead requiring sutures. I,ve only ever worn a helmet in the mountains, not rock climbing and often didn’t,t wear one for cycling, but as the roads become ever more congested, it seems a sensible option. I now always wear one

In reply to rocksol:

Helmets are a very good idea, I wear one all the time.

Making them compulsory is a very bad idea. In the places where it has been implemented, (NZ and parts of Aus), there has been a dramatic decline in the numbers of cyclists. And given the health benefits of cycling - both to the cyclist and society as a whole - this far outweighs the number of cyclists dying of head injuries.

Plus you are tackling the problem from the wrong angle - it's like tackling knife crime by making anti-stab vest compulsory.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...