UKC

track cycling world cup

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 17 Feb 2012
Anyone watching the highlights now?
OP Alyson 17 Feb 2012
Actually it might be live..? Either way, superb race from Varnish and Pendleton.
 eschaton 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: its live on bbc2. agreed, great result from varnish and pendleton
In reply to eschaton: Awesome ride from Pendleton and Varnish, good to see Vicky winning at this stage.
OP Alyson 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Southampton Tom: YAAAAAY!!! Wow that was exciting
 sjminfife 17 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: I'm watching too,really exciting
 jules699 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: On again now - Pendleton's going for it again! 1-1 against the Aussie. C'mon girl!!
 jules699 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: Bugger
 NickK123 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: Outstanding! Great telly and not too shabby for Team GB.
 AlisonSmiles 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Might be!
 tim000 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: rowsell was good , but trott , what a race.
 Enty 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson:

Team spirit is incredible.
And what is it with British athletes? So polite when being interviewed.
Chris Hoy - statesman!
Same with Mo Farrah.

E
OP Alyson 18 Feb 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> Team spirit is incredible.

Completely agree. You get the feeling every success is shared

tim000 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Enty:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> Team spirit is incredible.
> And what is it with British athletes? So polite when being interviewed.
> Chris Hoy - statesman!
> Same with Mo Farrah.
>
> E

unless they are a boxer
 AlisonSmiles 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Enty:

It's not just put on for interviews either, it's who they are.
 Mark Harding 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson:
> Anyone watching the highlights now?

Great to watch, British sport at it's best.Dave Brailsford really has assembled an incredible team of coaches and athletes.There's such a buzz within the team at the moment.Lead by the avuncular Sir Chris of course. Getting drawn against him must be the modern day equivalent of being up against Sir Lancelot in a jousting contest.
In reply to Alyson:

Absolutely brilliant to watch - can't wait for Melbourne and then London! What a summer.

Sir Chris and Jo Rowsell were my faves.

La Sham
bobbybin 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: I wanna do through and off with Lizzie Armistead
 alisonk 19 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: I managed to get tickets for Thurs and Sat nights. The atmosphere in the velodrome was completely amazing,I had never been to anything like it before. When Laura Trott was going the Elimination she had huge cheers all the way. Also credit to the organisers on leaving we only had to wait about 10mins for the buses back.
In reply to Enty:

Enty, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this both as a knowledgable cycling person and someone who lives in not-Britain...

The track cycling this weekend was a great event to watch and a big advert for the Olympics, and also there is no doubt that Britain's current success in mainstream cycling has a lot to do with the track cycling campaign that was instigated after the 1996 Olympics.

But ... track cycling remains a very minor discipline in a much bigger sport and I think people can get carried away in Britain with the success which has a lot to do with us concentrating on a sport other countries don't bother with.

In the rest of the World all cycling fans will know Cav and Brad, but almost no-one will have heard of Sir Chris and Queen Vic.

Having said that I did enjoy watching the event, especially Lizzie Trott in the Omnium and the German guy who caught the French guy napping in the deciding heat of the sprint race.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Is that right about Sir Chris? I thought the hour record was a big historical thing in classical cycling as well.

Ah, sorry, Sir Chris H. Maybe Chris B is still plain old Chris B. As you were.

jcm
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> Is that right about Sir Chris? I thought the hour record was a big historical thing in classical cycling as well.
>
> Ah, sorry, Sir Chris H. Maybe Chris B is still plain old Chris B. As you were.

Judging from Wikipedia, the hour record is a curious end-of-career oddity that they can't make up their minds about the rules for, but it has certainly attracted bigs names over the years.

Yes, Chris B is known, but then he rode the TdF and won stages, and is now in the commentator entourage. It is all about the TdF really and Sir Chris wouldn't make it past the 5km point on the prologue I don't think.

Alan

Matt250 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Alyson: Yeah Geriant Thomas was the best GB cyclist there. No offence Sir Hoy, track cycling is good but its not road. Chris B won the prologue and therefore wore yellow for a bit. Great stuff.
 Rubbishy 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Matt250:
> (In reply to Alyson) Yeah Geraint Thomas was the best GB cyclist, who wasn't Laura Trott, there. No offence Sir Hoy, track cycling is good but its not road. Chris B won the prologue and therefore wore yellow for a bit. Great stuff.

Fixed that for you.
 Chris the Tall 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:
I assume chris hoy could beat Cav in a track sprint, but I wonder by how much, and whether Cav has ever really challenged him in those events.

I still think it's a pity the 1 k was dropped from the Olympics, surely the purest measure of a sprint cyclist's ability. It would be interesting to see how Cav did without the 6 hour "warm-up"
 Mooncat 20 Feb 2012
In reply to Chris the Tall:

I've watched good road sprinters against good track sprinters on the track, outright speed there doesn't seem to be that much in it but track sprinters have the kick to easily open a 5-10 metre gap which the roadies can't close.

I suspect it'd be similar with Hoy v Cav.
 steveriley 21 Feb 2012
Have you seen these? Fantastic set of pics of Sir Chris killing himself in training: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikekingphoto/6903918803

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...