UKC

Transporting carbon road bike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cusco 20 Nov 2021

How do you transport your carbon road bike with thru axles by car to somewhere? Are there any carbon-friendly roof cycle racks or is it simply safer to transport inside the car with the back seats down and front wheel off?

My old Thule roof cycle rack which is great for the Sherman Tank Trek hard tail MTB would destroy the road bike frame due to the clamp design.

First time on a road bike with clipless pedals today. Managed to avoid any clipped in falls but know it's inevitable sometime as everyone seems to have a good clipped in fall story...

gethin_allen 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

You see plenty of nice road bites on roof racks that clamp to the wheels and the down tube, with adequate padding and securing I can't see what problems you'd have. Myself, despite being having been a keen cyclist for years, I keep buying cars with stupid roof rack/bike rack fittings so normally just chuck things in the boot wrapped in an old blanket. Fortunately, due to the lack of suspension road bikes are usually more compact than MTBs, especially full sus ones.

Yanis Nayu 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Chuck it in the back of the car. 

Ciro 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

> My old Thule roof cycle rack which is great for the Sherman Tank Trek hard tail MTB would destroy the road bike frame due to the clamp design.

The clamp should only hold the frame securely, it doesn't need a high crushing force.

cb294 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Thule roof racks with thru axle fittings, just chuck the front wheel inside if the whole bike does not fit.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/bike-rack/roof-bike-racks/thule-fastride-_-5640...

CB

Marek 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Never treated my carbon bike differently than others. Just strapped it onto a towbar mounting rear carrier. If it has a clamp, just make sure it's no tighter than it needs to be to hold the bike.

Monk 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

The more expensive Thule roof carriers are sold as suitable for carbon frames - the ones where the down tube rests on the static bottom bit and the clamp tightens from above. Think the 598 is one of the model numbers. 

Post edited at 20:26
 GrahamD 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Mrs Ds carbon frame through axle bike just goes on  the MTB roof rack with a bit of foam round the clamp.  The bike is so light the forces on it are tiny.

JimR 20 Nov 2021
In reply to GrahamD:

My carbon bikes just go on Thule roof rack ( cervelo R5 and GT 105)  no problems 

OP Cusco 20 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Many thanks for the helpful replies.

Run_Ross_Run 21 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Have used the standard thule roof rack with clamp for years for both my carbon bikes. No issues. 

LastBoyScout 22 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

These should cover all your options - look at the ones that clamp the wheels, rather than the frame.

Unless you've got some swanky aero frame.

My personal preference is always to put the bike in the car, though.

In reply to Cusco:

I bought one of these to transport my carbon bike on the roof, it's absolutely brilliant and doesn't touch the frame at all. Highly recommend.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessorie...

nniff 22 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Sea Sucker - after years of buying roof racks to fit different cars, I just gave up and bought a Sea Sucker.  Of course, SWMBO has now got a convertible with a soft top that it doesn't fit (the last one has a folding metal roof, and it fitting that nicely)

Rog Wilko 24 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Bikes on roof racks play hell with your fuel economy.

steveriley 25 Nov 2021
In reply to Cusco:

Mine goes in a Thule ProRide. It'll be fine, crack on.
Sorry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...