UKC

Travelling to France with 4 mtb s ( and no van ) ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 04 Jun 2023

After ideas that I might not  have considered . In the past I’ve done this using a kombi and it was easy . I’m going this summer ( to Tignes- thanks Cjd and others ) . I have the ukc weapon of choice ( sorry ) estate car ( coughs and looks at feet ) with a tow bar that I had fitted to carry my Thule bike rack  . The medium term solution is that I’m getting a new van but that not going to happen until later in the year .  I’m not a fan of putting mtbs on the roof . My bike is a Thule tow bar mounted which is meant to be for three bikes but I only feel happy with two on it for any distance . A few days ago I tried this : the biggest two - on the rack with beefed up attachment ( rope ) and the smaller two in the boot , taken apart . My current idea is this with the roof box for our kit . Thoughts and ideas please .

edit : I’m not really happy with this as the two smaller bikes don’t really fit ( they stick out into the car a bit )

Post edited at 10:35
In reply to mike123:

Buy a bike trailer (e.g. Pendle) off a popular auction site, sell it when you have your new van?

OP mike123 04 Jun 2023
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty: not sure what you mean ? Any links ? I’ll google pendle bike trailer 

OP mike123 04 Jun 2023
In reply to mike123: got it 

In reply to mike123:

e.g. item number 115717010920

65 04 Jun 2023
In reply to mike123:

You could sell your Thule rack and buy an Atera towball rack which can be fitted with a 4th bike add-on. They're expensive but worth it for not worrying about looking in the mirror and seeing your bikes clattering down the Route des Anglaises at 130kph. I had one on the back of my van, it was totally solid. Check out the Roofbox Company, I've dealt with them a few times and they're very helpful.

TobyA 04 Jun 2023
In reply to 65:

> You could sell your Thule rack and buy an Atera towball rack which can be fitted with a 4th bike add-on. They're expensive but worth it for not worrying about looking in the mirror and seeing your bikes clattering down the Route des Anglaises at 130kph. 

We got a four bike tow bar mounted rack from Halfords. A moderately epic job to get it on and then load it up, but seemed solid once you had.

I don't actually have a tow bar on my current car, so haven't used it in some years. Mike123 if "the kitchen or cloud cookoo land" is anywhere near Sheffield, you are welcome to borrow it. You would have to get a new reg plate printed for it though as currently it is that of my old car! 

Post edited at 12:43
OP mike123 05 Jun 2023
In reply to TobyA: very kind offer Toby . A bit far I’m afraid . Thinking about the Pendle trailer . Also keen not to spend any more on something that hopefully I won’t need beyond October time .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...