UKC

Tyre width estimation? advice needed please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 24 May 2019

Is there any way of knowing what width a tyre will be on a rim without buying it and trying it on?

Ideally Id like to get some 700x28s and I know that I used to be able to run these on my previous wheelset with my frame but the new wheels Ive got are wider (19mm internal)

elsewhere 24 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

19mm rim ==>27mm to 42mm tyre

"The ideal relationship between tyre and rim section is about 1.8 to 1, but any tyre from 1.4 to 2.2 times should fit – always provided that the bead diameters correspond."

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/wheels-tyres/tyre-siz...

Post edited at 15:38
 gethin_allen 24 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

Unless you know the specific tyre it's a bit of a gamble unless you have plenty of frame clearance because different makes and models measure up differently in reality. I have continental tyres that are 2 mm wider and taller off the rim than some Hutchinson tyres that are both supposedly 25s.

If you have previous experience or knowledge about how the tyres size up on a more regular rim then you could just do the maths and add 2 mm to the circumference and work back from there.

OP The Potato 24 May 2019

Ill wait for more responses in the hope that someone knows of a chart somewhere but I half expected that there wont be. Just a nuisance when trying to buy tyres.

gethin_allen 24 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

If you google the model of tyre you'll probably find some reviews that will tell you how they measure. Otherwise, on the other end, search for some reviews of the frame and there will likely be a review telling you the clearance.

elsewhere 24 May 2019
In reply to The Potato:

> Ill wait for more responses in the hope that someone knows of a chart somewhere but I half expected that there wont be. Just a nuisance when trying to buy tyres.

Did not find it earlier but here's one.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/reifenmasse.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...