UKC

Tyres

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coinneach 01 Jun 2021

Popped my front one tonight a mile from home . . . . . Recommendations please, for a set of new road bike tyres for rural, sheep shit infested, potholed roads.

Ta . . . 

wilkesley 01 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus for several years. I went for a couple of years with no punctures at all. However, this year I had three! Two because my tyre had worn and needed replacing and one by blackthorn, which no tyre will stop. I live out in the sticks with potholed roads and cow rather than sheep shit.

Marek 01 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

I'd go for a pair of gp5k with tubes up to 32mm. Above that Gravelkings (slicks). But I'm sure every poster will have a different suggestion.

In reply to wilkesley:

Good, but a tad heavy.

I’ve been using gatorskins on my winter wheels and still haven’t had a puncture after about 5000km.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/compare/continen...

elsewhere 01 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus - tough but heavy

Bontrager AW1 Hard Case - pretty puncture resistant and probably lighter.

ianstevens 01 Jun 2021
In reply to Marek:

> I'd go for a pair of gp5k with tubes up to 32mm. Above that Gravelkings (slicks). But I'm sure every poster will have a different suggestion.

Second vote for GP5000s - although 25mm is fine, no need for 32s. Set them up tubeless (if you can) which allows you to run them at slightly lower pressures.

Post edited at 22:39
 crayefish 02 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

What about some road-bias (slick centre) gravel tyres?  Should be tougher and stand up to more abuse than pure road tyres.

No real experience on the subject as only just bought my first set myself; after much research I went for Vittoria Terreno Dry (seemed to be better than the Schwalbe offerings I am more used to), but they do a slick centre version too called the Zero.  Very happy with them so far on tarmac/gravel/sand/grass, but only a few rides on them.

monkey man 02 Jun 2021
In reply to wilkesley:

Second this

Jim Lancs 02 Jun 2021
In reply to wilkesley:

> I have used Schwalbe Durano Plus for several years.

I've been using these as well on my winter road bike. I've managed to get 28s under my mudguards and have been impressed. They seem to grip well in all the cack on the roads round here and can't remember the last puncture (years ago!)

The flip side is that I can't ever remember having a 'bad' tyre from the big manufacturers. They all seem to do what I expect. I've never been tempted down the 'armour plated' or heavyweight tyre options because the lighter, more responsive options seem to be perfectly good these days.

felt 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Jim Lancs:

> the lighter, more responsive options seem to be perfectly good these days.

You ride in an area with flint like E. Hants it's a different story. When I did I had a puncture every other ride, but when I moved to two other areas, Devon and Cumbria, both without flint, I was fine.

Jim Lancs 02 Jun 2021
In reply to felt:

>  . . . in an area with flint like E. Hants it's a different story . . .

I'll make a note!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...